1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade for a scorer..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

We badly need some offense especially now that Tmac will be in and out on our starting five..We need someone who can naturally score either with a jumper, 3ball or drive...let's not give hope to the return of the Franchise or Mike James offensive spark..Maggette? Hughes? Artest or whoever?

Head will definitely start when Tmac is out..but he's not a starter material. Morey and Les need to do something..

2. PlayDoh

PlayDoh Member

who else on this team beside Mac and Yao that anybody would want?

3. luisantonio1014

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We had our hands on an inexpensive top-flight scorer for years to come and p...ssed him away for some glue.

What the Rockets really need is a competent GM. Morey should be retained as a consultant, but we need someone running the show with NBA savvy and experience. Numbers are fine but we need someone who can spot and reel in basketball talent.

5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Remember how Bob Sura would attack the basket and find team mates? That is what Andre Miller would bring. We need another playmaker and a slasher who will drive like Maggette. This will solve Houston Rockets problem. No more spot up shooters. We need attackers and finishers.

Yao <~~~~ High-Post/Low-Post
    Scola <~~~~ High-Post/Low-Post
    Maggette <~~~~ Slasher
    McGrady <~~~~ Slasher/Playmaker
    Miller <~~~~ Attacker/Playmaker

That should be our starting line up.
    McGrady is suppose to score off the ball at the end of the shot clock or in transiton.

How can we get those 2 much needed pieces?

6. Tornadoofsoul6

Phoenix wants more defense (Battier?)
    Portland wants more veteran leadership (Battier?)
    Miami wants a 3pt shooter (Head, Battier?)
    Philidelphia wants expiring contracts (Wells, Francis, Snyder)
    New York...wants everything to be changed..
    Atlanta wants a veteran (Battier, James)
    Clevland wants a supporting cast, mainly in the PG pos. (James, Francis, Alston)
    Minnesota wants expirings.
    Chicago wants a whole lot of change, and they just got one since Skiles got fired, and it would be strange if JVG decides to coach again...
    Washington wants expirings, a point guard. (Alston, Francis, Snyder, James)

7. Tornadoofsoul6

Oh and Orlando wants rebounders (Hayes, Wells?)

8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

how is the gay trade morey's fault. At the time, his season of simply shadowing Dawson hadn't even come to a start. THough the player's haven't looked as good as everybody had hoped, we can't deny that morey upgraded the talent of this team for cheap. What needs to be done is an ADelman signature trade. By that I mean a trade that will fit ADelman's game. Remember when we traded jackson and boki for wesley. I don't think any body was happy but van gundy knew what he was doing more than us. Even the battier trade looked alot better when Jvg was our coach because he knew that Shane could anchor his team defense philosophy and Shane did catapult us to argureably the best defensive team. I'm not saying it was a good trade in the long run but I do think that JVG knew that shane would be a good fit for him, just like wesley. WE need to see Adelman put his thumbprint on this team. Maybe he will make a trade for a player that is tailored for his style of play, much like van gundy did with WEsley. Right now we are watching a JVG team being coached by Adelman. We should do one of 2 things. Either get some adelman players, or bring jvg back.

9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I'm more inclined in getting Maggette... But also I'm curious with the J-Will rumor.If that is true, I wonder who will we give to them..if we could pry Haslem and J-Will for Battier,Rafer,Francis, Snyder..anyway, a pipedream..

10. luisantonio1014

And we only get left with scorers?

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Fixed it for you.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Brooks can score and make plays and pass the ball.With experience he will be our Future starting Playmaker Point Guard. Coach A is just starting to understand this and seems to be giving him the opportunity to gain NBA experience.
    Regardless we need to move our dead weight- Mutombo, Snyder,Francis and Wells- WE NEED to play Landry/Brooks and get another 7' athletic young back up Center and another good shooter. :p

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------By his first year mistakes I agree with you ! :p

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Regardless we need to move our dead weight- Mutombo, Snyder,Francis and Wells- WE NEED to play Landry/Brooks and get another 7' athletic young back up Center and another good shooter. ---> Yetti

Hmm...what about Szczerbiak and Johan Petro of Seattle...watcha think?

15. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Brooks has the potential to become the next Tony Parker.

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Trade Wells/Snyder/James to Philly for A.Miller
    THEN
    Battier/Head/Francis/Novak or Brooks/1st rounder for Maggette/Knight

Yao/Scola/Mutombo
    Hayes/Landry
    Maggette/Novak?\Harris
    McGrady/???
    Miller/Alston/Brooks?\Knight

Sign Harris.

What do we do about the question marks ??

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

When the Morey bandwagon was rolling, the trade was engineered by Moneyball. When Clutchfans began to notice that we were screwed and tattooed in the trade, it became CD's trade by the Morey worshipers.

I was raising ...Cain ... over the trade then and can count myself among several who have always retched over it. I really don't dislike Morey -- the fact is he just doesn't know basketball and has no business being a GM.

18. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

i think we should trade battier for gay, and mcgrady for wallace and gordon.

19. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Regardless of who made the decision, we can't blame management for making the trade. At the time, we still had JVG and our team was probably one or two pieces away from being a contender. With Battier's experience, leadership, defense, and 3-point shooting, it was the right combination at the time with the least amount of risk.

As with any trades, especially involving a rookie, it'll always be a gamble. Things might or might not work out. But you gotta make the decision based on what you need and have at the moment. I know we all love to evaluate players on potential, but as a GM, that is probably the hardest and riskiest thing to do. There are a few rules of thumb in the NBA GMs always obide by. And that is, always take the talented bigs over the more talented guards. And if you're close to being a contender, always go for the experience over potential. And the rest, you just have to live with the consequences.

That's just life in the NBA. Can't blame them for making the move.

20. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

Switch James for Wells and I think you have the better indication of dead weight. At least Wells has contributed this season. James has been a complete flop. I'm also inclined to keep SF since he has an inexpensive contract. Insurance if you will.