1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Random Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jan 23, 2008.

1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

How about: Brooks, Head, James for Outlaw, Jack, and Blake? Portland would love to have AB on the team (I know, I live in Portland) and Rox PG situation is solved. IMO, PG is by far our weakest position. Playing Rafer 40+ minutes a game isn't going to cut it. And face it, we're not going to get an Andre Miller caliber player. Why not spread the wealth? I'm guessing no one follows Portland too closely, but Outlaw is finally coming around.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Wait wait wait...people still think moestavern19 is being serious? The trade proposal is so glaringly unbalanced...

Did you read this part?

I mean really... :D

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Why does Houston do it?

Novak is a nice player, but his ceiling is low. Yes he can shoot the ball very well but even in the game where he hit the game winner, he's probably not even on the court if Luther Head is healthy. It sounds crazy, but his value may never be higher than it is right now and to top that off, he's a Milwaukee area guy. He and Snyder are both expiring contracts.

As for Villanueva, he's got his flaws...but he's obviously the most talented and versatile player in the deal. He's not a financial risk because he's still got another year on his rookie deal.

Why does Milwaukee do it?

Villanueva has publicly expressed his displeasure about playing with the Bucks, and has even mentioned Houston as a desired destination. Because he's got a small contract, it is probably easier to move him for expiring contracts rather than equal talent, which is what Houston can offer in this situation. It doesn't hurt that, as I mentioned, Novak was born in Milwaukee and went to college at Marquette. He would be an immediate fan favorite.

Extremely low financial risk.

[​IMG]

Why does Houston do it?

Unload the expiring contracts of two inactive players (Snyder and Francis) and move Mike James contract as well. In return they receive a big, young PG (West), and a cheap but capable SG/SF with good size and defense (Wilkins). Cardinal is a compromise as it's a year longer than Mike James' contract, but at least it gives us a good team guy who shoots the 3 at 40% for his career and has decent size.

Why does Memphis do it?

They're obviously in a money dump situation, despite what their GM might be saying publicly. In this scenario they move their worst contract (Cardinal) for a similar contract with one less year (James). They also get Francis' expiring contract and move Lowry. I've heard that one team (can't remember who) is trying to get him, so I assume he's at least somewhat available. Conley, Crittenton, and even Navarro give them a great young PG crew anyway.

Why does Seattle do it?

First of all they get Lowry, who I think will be better than West in the long run. Both are on rookie contracts and are expiring, so money is a moot point in that sense. They also move Damien Wilkins' 3-year deal (9 million total) for Snyder's expiring contract. With the franchise in limbo, and possibly on the move as soon as next season, they could be looking to cut costs any way they can.

EDIT: I just realized that Mike James has a player option after next season, which could throw a huge wrench in this trade. Alternatively we could throw a 2nd rounder Memphis' way to persuade them, or just cut James and Cardinal out of the trade completely. Something like THIS, with a 2nd rounder going from Houston to Memphis.

#443 ClutchCityReturns, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  4. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

while i dont know if mil would do it, that first trade is so simple and makes so much sense that its kinda strange that nobody has mentioned it before.

good job. morey: get it done!

5. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

Hey. I'm a bit new to the board (see my "member since" date). I saw what happened to Jelle (can't make threads for 6 months, I believe?). For those of you that are familiar with whom I'm talking about, would this thread have been more appropriate for what she posted? I'm just trying to figure out how it all works, because, I honestly did not see what she did as being SOO bad. I just want to make sure I don't do the same thing, lol.

6. drich

drich Member

you know GATER you said that NJ would not give up vince for our trash players and i told you that they are trying to get out of there contract with him and you called me crazy for that well looks like they are getting Jason williams contract and ricky davis contract (which are expiring by the way) for him. so before you open your mouth next time do some research and you will not look like a asss thanks i am out

7. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Here's what I'm hoping for. Eventually Les has to realize that postseason success will net him more cash than simply getting under the cap.

9. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

With the new cap space, Rockets get rid of Rafer/Brooks/Head/expiring contracts/picks for these new players:

Vince Carter, Ron Artest, Mike Miller, Andre Miller.

Line-up:
    Andre Miller
    Vince Carter
    Tracy McGrady
    Ron Artest
    Yao Ming

Bench:
    Mike Miller
    Bobby Jackson
    Carl Landry
    Mutumbo

10. WillG

WillG Member

do u post on gamefaqs.com? I saw this exact same post there

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Spurs also made a trade to get under luxury tax except the player they got back was Kurt Thomas.

12. justinh

justinh Member

snyder for gerald green it looks like

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So, we save another $300k or so. Who we gonna pick up to round out the roster? Is this a deal designed to entice Brent Barry to Houston with a few extra dollars?

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Chad Ford mentions that sometimes news doesn't get out until 3 hours past the deadline (paper work, trades queued for approval, etc) so more news may trickle in soon.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Sonics have to waive him first.

16. cavevato

cavevato Member

I wish it was Snyder for Nachbar.

17. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

so thats it for this trade deadline.
    or could we possibliy get something for the last few minutes?

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

check this out:

CAVS get: Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, Joe Smith and Delonte West
    BULLS get: Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden and Cedric Simmons
    SONICS get: Chris Duhon, Ira Newble and Donyell Marshall

19. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

That is a lot of contract for the Cavs to take on. But they got rid of Larry Hughes which is always a positive.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What??!?!?! Does that work salary wise. If it does, Cleveland just became a contender. Wallace down low and Wally and Delonte working the perimeter with Lebron. My goodness man. I was hoping we could ship out MJ and our expirings for Wally and Delonte. If that is legit, Ferry did an awesome job.