1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Random Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jan 23, 2008.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope not. Fazekas is too slow. I admit he is a much better player than Novak but I don't think he is a good fit for us.

2. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

I suggest we tank the season for an inknown commodity.

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

So what is the deal with Bob Sura's contract? According to this, he is still on the book for 3.8 million. Did we bought him out? Even if he's not on the book, can we sign him to a contract like Dallas did with Keith Van Horn?

Say we can have an under the table deal with Francis, tell him to drop the player's option next season and we will sign him again in the summer. Then we sign Sura for 3.8 million, add that with Snyder's 2.3 million, and Francis' 2.4 million. That's enough expiring contract for Mike Miller. If Memphis still won't bite, we can throw in a first round pick and maybe a second rounder.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That information is wrong. The Rockets waived Sura and have officially cut ties with his contract. Sura is on the books for $1M in guaranteed salary from the Rockets this year, but in no way does that give the team any rights to re-sign him to a large salary to include in a trade.

Also, doing any "under the table" deals will quite likely get the Rockets the "Joe Smith/Timberwolves Treatment" from the league office. I'd rather not mess with risking the loss of multiple first round picks, all so that Francis can waive his player option for a relatively-measly $2.4M.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Where did you get the $1m figure for Sura? Technically, he had a 2008 contract for $3.8m and was owed the entire $3.8m when waived. If you're suggesting it was a buy-out, no one in their right mind is going to take a $1m lump sum over a 12 monthly instalments totalling $3.8m.

You are correct that the Rockets' can't SnT Sura because of being waived. The difference as I understand it is that Van Horn's contract just plain expired. He was never waived.

6. drich

drich Member

matt maloney :eek:

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

When is the actual deadline, what exact date?

8. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

So waived players can't be resigned? Then we just have to bring someone else back. Heck, give Moochie Norris 3.8 million, I'm sure he will take it.

As for the deal with Francis. As long as he doesn't pull a Stackhouse and ran his mouth with the reporters, I think we will be fine. It's completely reasonable with Francis want to come back to Houston after the summer if we do give him an offer. It's his player's option, the league has no regulation against that.

#408 LegendZ3, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3pm EST, Thursday, February 21st.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sura's contract was only PARTIALLY guaranteed for the 2007-08 season. By waiving Sura prior to the start of the regular season, the Rockets only had to pay Sura $1M of his $3.8M salary. The other $2.8M was non-guaranteed and, thus, Sura was not entitled to that money once he was waived.

Moochie (and his contract) were traded to the Hornets for Maciej Lampe a couple of years ago. The Rockets do not have any former player who (a) unofficially retired as a Rocket AND (b) has a significant caphold (i.e., made much more than the NBA minimum). So you can quite that pipedream scenario right now. (Don't mean to sound harsh, but that's just the fact of the matter.)

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope so, every freakin team is making an upgrade. If we stay pat we're going to just be first round fodder again.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thanks

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Since the non-guarantee wasn't "common" knowledge, I was requesting your source. It appears to have been Feigen. Close enough.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/09/the_long_and_short_of_the_rock.html

14. drich

drich Member

here is a gamble of a trade but it may be good for us for the next 3 years that is when tmac's contract is up we would be stuck with vince for at least one more year because the following year he would be an expiring contract which is always easy to trade to a non playoff team so it would be just one year we would be suffering from him not being motivated but while he is here with tracy it may rejuvenate them both which would be an A+ for us and we aren't really gambling our rotation players in this trade. the would have to take mike james back but he comes off in 2 years.

rafer/brooks
    vince/bonzi
    tmac/shane
    scola/landry/shane
    yao/scola

end of game you go with the hot hands in the game may have battier at 4. what you guys think not as huge of a gamble as Dallas giving up harris

Click below to launch the New NBA Trade Machine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Trade Succeeded! Go back to adjust your trade or start over.
    New Jersey Nets

Incoming Players
    Chuck Hayes
    Salary: $1,750,000 Years Remaining: 3
    PTS: 2.8 REB: 5.7 AST: 1.1 PER: 11.43

Kirk Snyder
    Salary: $2,358,433 Years Remaining: 1
    PTS: 3.8 REB: 1.3 AST: 0.9 PER: 14.80

Mike James
    Salary: $5,826,893 Years Remaining: 2
    PTS: 6.5 REB: 1.6 AST: 1.6 PER: 9.77

Steve Francis
    Salary: $2,439,333 Years Remaining: 1
    PTS: 5.5 REB: 2.3 AST: 3.0 PER: 9.20

Outgoing Players: Vince CarterHouston Rockets

Incoming Players
    Vince Carter
    Salary: $13,325,000 Years Remaining: 5
    PTS: 20.5 REB: 5.6 AST: 5.1 PER: 17.89

Outgoing Players: Chuck Hayes, Kirk Snyder, Mike James, Steve Francis

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

- Wells, Snyder, Francis and a 1st round pick for Artest. If they insist on Landry being in the deal, I would do it. I love Landry and he's great - but he's already almost 25, plus, we have Scola at his position and Hayes as the energy/rebounding PF as the backup.

- Cassell. I hope the Clippers will buy out Cassell's contract - and then Casell signs with us. If that requires us to send them a 2nd round pick in a separate transaction for a minimal amount of cash - or us sending them a significant amount of cash for a second round pick - so be it.

PG: Cassell, Alston, Brooks
    SG: T-Mac, Head, James
    SF: Artest, Battier, (Mike Harris - picked up again)
    PF: Scola, Hayes, Steve Novak
    C: Yao Ming, Uncle Mutombo

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How about a Snyder-Nachbar swap with NJN?

17. drich

drich Member

no to throwing in landry just because artest is going to be on rental because he is opting out at the end of the year yes to brooks though since you have cassell coming and sac town was thinking of drafting brooks with there number 10 pick in last years draft

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Artest goes to Denver they just might jell and be hell to beat this spring.
    If Artest comes to The Toy Shop the Rox just might jell and be hell to beat this spring.

Whichever contender lands Ron - Ron, if indeed he is dealt (other than to Zekeland), will ratchet up the possibility of a June parade.

19. Mooch

Mooch Member

would you do

Head+Wells+1st rounder
    for
    Mike Miller

Memphis gets 2 expiring contracts and a 1st rounder. Looks decent to me

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes I would.