1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trade] Conley to Utah for Crowder, Korver and Grayson Allen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jun 19, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's possible... BUT consider if they went a different route for cap space... has Utah every landed a MAJOR free agent? They didn't have great assets to move, and got back a very solid PG.

Pretty shrewed pick protection by Memphis, in my opinion. Basically HAS to be a late lotto pick unless it hasn't conveyed until 2022, in which case it could still be a lotto pick, but more likely a mid first rounder

That said, to your box in comment... the protections do box them in somewhat.... as basically the only draft pick asset they'll be able to move will be the 2020 pick, after this draft passes.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Seems like highway robbery. Jazz significantly improved.

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

they didn't even have exum against us last year too

4. JayZ750

Generally agree.

And again, relative to the Rockets, Conley should have been MORE VALUABLE an asset than CP3. CP3's value might be higher now based on (i) him just being viewed as the more accomplished player, and (ii) the fact that Conley isn't available anymore...

But this should at least be ballpark what one could get for CP3.

I'm not super sold on the "move CP3" bandwagon anyway - outside a complete rebuild - but if a Phoenix offer of #6 plus Tyler Johnson and either of Josh Jackson/TJ Warren - is even remotely possible, I'd jump on it.

BigShasta and Vivi like this.
  5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Excellent trade for Utah. The West is going to be TOUGH.

Deuce, Nook and YOLO like this.
  6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Yooo that's a really good pick. Basically guaranteed to be non crap the first 2 years then just top 6 protected for the first draft with high schoolers. That's low key the jewel of an otherwise unremarkable return for Conley.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They will definitely improve and be a threat to Houston, but they won't be a threat to win it all.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, they already tried at the deadline and there were rumors about Conley refusing to go there but i guess it was more Memphis asking for too much and now like you said they probably settle for a little less, which to me seems a good package though, i didn't expect them to get two picks, a rookie scale player and a solid role player for Conley at this point.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

i expect them to end up with only the picks and probably allen by the end of the year. come to houston crowder! And korver will probably get waived

Vivi likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Wanted to say i definitely agree on this point but for some reason i forgot to write it lol, but yeah, i didn't expect Conley to have two 1st rounders, a rookie scale contract and a solid role player kind of value so, might not be true that Chris has that pure value, maybe that's just wrong speculation.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Jazz Should keep crowder.

12. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

31 is old now?

Thought it was like 35+ for NBA standards.

I guess I'm gonna be old soon :(

I thought Conley played really good last year and still has enough left in the tank (2-3 years assuming)

Movement_Is_Medicine likes this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Man, Rockets should be all over Bradley and Korver if they get released. Both would fit in great here.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

for the record, korver is considering retirement. he spoke on this at the end of April

15. JW86

JW86 Member

Indeed, it seemed like he always stepped up come playoff time.

What is with some of these horrible deals in recent years? Remember what we gave up for CP3 compared to this, Jazz fleeced Grizzlies here. It’s like GMs are not even trying to get the best deals at times.

16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Looks like he changed he’s waffling

Vivi likes this.
  17. JayZ750

Maybe. The Jazz haven't won less than 48 games in the last three years, have a decent coach, and Mitchell and Gobert are both still young. And Dennis Lindsey is good.

In short, Lindsey and the Jazz are likely thinking there is no way the pick conveys until 2022 and even then it is a 15-30 pick, not a lotto pick.

Still an asset for Memphis, but a long way off and unclear how great even then.

More than being a "jewel" of an asset back to Memphis, it hurts Utah's ability to further improve by trading any pick. Basically they won't be able to trade ANY pick going forward because of the rule not allowing consecutive first round pick trades. I guess they couldn't even trade the 2020 pick (I was wrong about that earlier), because there's the possibility 2021 will move to Memphis. So if I'm reading it right, the first first round pick they now have in their ability to trade is the 2026 pick? That could hurt them a lot in future trades... alternatively it also protects them against themselves... in other words, they will have first round picks to use then (unless they trade them post-draft).

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah something he seems to go back and forth about. the decision of being waived or not might be a huge factor here too. that's when he can truly decide to continue playing or not

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. DLX94

DLX94 Member

West keeps getting tougher and stronger each season.

Vivi likes this.