1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Cato? NOT!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jun 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unless we Resign Willis
    Having the Center spot platooned by Ming and collier
    IS NOT AN OPTION. I like ming. I think he will do well
    but COLLIER . . getting extensive minutes is frightening
    [I was in his corner but . . .now I'm like this. Collier hasn't
    shown enough]

If the trade is great I would chance it
    but
    CATO IS A GOOD BACK UP CENTER
    [a bit over paid]

Rocket River

2. tbagain

tbagain Member

I agree. Cato is a top ten center (but only because there aren't many good centers in the NBA anymore).

Cato also has quick enough feet to defend Western PFs.

He is very valuable, and only a bit overpaid.

3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Cato is an excellent backup center, and an OK starter. Of course, having Collier as the backup is a non-starter on a team as good as the Rockets are supposed to be. He might be a suitable backup on the Grizzlies or Hawks (who should be much better this year) or the Nuggets.

I think the only reason to trade Cato is that he might pout too much about Ming coming, but we'd need to replace him if we shipped him out.

I think we should grab Marvin Ely if we can.

4. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I think this all depends on who we pick up with the 15th. If we take a SF like expected, then you have to keep Cato. If for some reason one of the raw big men falls into our lap (Stoudamire, Nene) then you drop Cato like a bad habit. Resign Willis and have him and MR. Mean put these young horses through some intense ass big man workouts.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Cato top ten!? that's laughable...[​IMG]
    That guy's a cancer for this team, the best we can hope for is that Ming will light a fire under his @ss and show him what a 'work ethic' is, what 'will to win' is, what 'desire' is.... could ANYBODY, SOMEONE show Cato what those thing are?

Cato is overpaid, pouty and lazy...

CATO, I'M BEGGING... PROVE ME WRONG NEXT YEAR!!!! if you can

6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Who are 10 centers better than Cato??

O'neal
    Mutombo
    Divac
    Mourning
    Robinson
    B. Wallace (is he a center??)
    Olowokandi
    K. Clark
    Ratliff (is he a center??, part 2)

There are not 10 better true centers in the league right now, unfortunately. Cato is more valuable than we may realize.
    I mean, Collier? come on!

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

how about Lorenzen Wright?
    Nazr Mohammed?

Erick Dampier, Tony Battie are about even....
    at least he's better than Ewing and Montross

8. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Although he is grossly overpaid, Kelvin Cato fits with our team probably better than any other center in the league. This is because he does not demand the ball and he has a knack for knowing exactly when to go to the basket for the lob, plus he now has good hands. In his first year here, he had none of this but developed it last season. If he could step his rebounding up the way he did at the end of last season, he could be a serious contributor. It seemed the more the fans and his teammates appreciated him, the better he played. I think he will make an excelent backup center.