1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

What would be the loss?

Bonzi Wells is the only perimeter player on this team that consistently goes strong to the basket. That would be a real loss that won't be replaced by two outside chuckers, one of them being over the hill.

2. LFE171

LFE171 Member

dude....flyin ryan bowen better not come back to houston as the "extra player" :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Actually, I think you are right on.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Read carefully.

I didn't say he was our best perimeter player.

I said he was our best perimeter player THAT GETS TO THE BASKET CONSISTENTLY. There isn't a lot of competition in that category since Bonzi is the only one.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Artest did alright. Had a couple 20 point plus games in that series. He's improved since then.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

trade makes zero sense. i could kind of see it if jackson was expiring but he isn't. i can't see us doing this trade.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

First of all, when he puts his mind to it, he gets to the basket... that doesn't mean he's always doing it (otherwise I wouldn't see so many post-ups, and him shooting 20 footers + 3 pointers).

Secondly, he's a marginal finisher AT BEST now... and doesn't convert from the FT line. Those things hurt you big-time in the playoffs.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'm not opposed to trading Bonzi, just improving the Hornets.

9. Crudder

Crudder Member

I don't care if we lose MJ to be honest... but if we lose Bonzi, I will be irked if we can't replace the size that he brings to the court. Ok, that's fine if we replace MJ with Jackson... even if it's to warm the bench... but Butler (or whoever else) does not replace Bonzi. I hope this trade doesn't go through unless we are picking up Artest somehow or another player with size, defense, and some offensive power.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Yeah, he scored, but his shot selection was terrible.

11. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

good point about his ft shooting. He's terrible from the line. He missed, like 10 in a row, when the Pistons played in Houston.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I like this trade only because of Rasual Butler. I've watched the guy play for awhile now...he isn't a scrub, he just doesn't get the playing time. He's a decent shooter with size, but I'm not sure if the Rockets would actually use him if the tradde is just for salary pruposes.

Also, with Mike James contract going on for awhile, I wonder if Morris Peterson could be part of the deal. I don't know the details of his contract, but he could be that "lesser" Mike Miller possibly.

I'm just ready for the deadline to pass...

Cod

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Bobby Jax w/ another 3.......dude totally sux!

14. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

First of all, it is just speculation that Butler is included int the deal.

Secondly, why not wait to see what all Morey does. This may not be the end of the moves he makes by tomorrow afternoon.

Third, I think you're under-estimating Jackson a little bit. With CP3 there, he is relegated to being an outside shooter playing off the ball. He may not give you the finishing ability of Wells, but he can get into the defense and do some things.

Plus, I think your WAY under-estimating having a steady, veteran presence who can knock down shots when things get tight in a critical 4th quarter. He may not have the ideal shooting percentage overall that you'd like, but the guy can hit big shots.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Bobby Jax w/ yet another 3 next possession.....dude really sux!

16. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

bonzi's the only player that takes it strong to the rack. replacing him with a point guard doesn't seem to make that much sense to me right now. sure bobby's played with rick before, but still ... I'd take bonzi over bobby. and mike james ... uhhhh, i dont mind sending him somewhere else quite honestly, but if we do, it better be for better than a player that plays the same role as he does. i mean, given playing time, I think MJ could score just as much as bobby jackson could.

17. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Bobby Jackson is just owning the Dallas Mavericks right now! He has hit 4 threes in the game!

Maybe he isn't as bad as previously believed. It would be a great trade if we can keep him and get Mike Miller/Ron Artest! I hate losing Bonzi, but Jackson's outside shooting would be a great asset to this team. Image having him, Battier, and Miller out on the three point line! WOW! :D

18. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I have no problem with trading Bonzi. Even though he is a great cutter/slasher and rebounder, he is poor or inconsistent in the other facets of the game. However, there better be another trade in the works to give us an equal or better player at the 2/3. I hope Les and Morey don't let us down.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

yeah in the games where his inconsistency takes hold and he shoots in the .200s

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I guess I'm the only one who looks at this deal from a financial standpoint.

To me, Rasual Butler is the key to the trade. His contract length is the same as James, at ~$3 mil less. If he's in the trade, I would be against it unless NO sweetens the pot a little.

If Butler's NOT in the trade, then I'd be very in favor of the trade. Bonzi is not producing nearly as much as some make him out to be. Jackson is a token backup PG, and that's all. But getting out of MJ's contract is huge. Jackson can easily be expiring trade bait during the offseason.

So basically, if Butler's not involved, the Rockets lose minimally this year and a lot during the offseason.