1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady's new attitude

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bluerap04, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Rowdie Brandon

2. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

lol ok we get it... sarcasm...

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Agreed. Not strictly McGrady's fault if they don't get out of the first round though this year. It really does appear management is even considering a first round exit this year and is planning next season for a major upgrade via free agency.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and last year it was agree with me or you are a JVG lover.
    :rolleyes:

exactly who's opinion is it that isnt worth listening to now?

someone that keeps an open mind or someone who can never admit they may not know everything?

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I think he has to feel a little disrespected by the nba coaches and fans. Sure it didnt bother him not to start, but not the be in the All Star game at all. He probly felt like ppl are starting to overlook him. he's putting in the work and trying to make sure they remember him

i credit adelman.

he said stop making excuses and thats what tmac has done.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It is nice to see Tmac coming in early to shoot, giving his team mates praise and admitting his own shortcomings. The sad part is that we have set the bar so low for this guy that he is only now doing the things that EVERY franchise player should do.

Seriously, he is in his 10th season and he is just now putting in extra time (30 minutes) shooting before the game? Not only that but it sounds like he is doing it because he is being exposed as the laziest player on the team.

Now I'll get flamed because instead of clapping and piling praise on this guy I am wondering out loud why the franchise player is just now putting in the extra time and trying to be an example to his team mates. I know he only gets paid $20 million a year and he is only obligated to show up to games and formal practices. All that extra practice stuff that other franchise players put in is their choice. Our guy does just enough to keep getting that check and that is good enough for a lot of fans.

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Don't worry no one really gets flammed for criticizing McGrady. You only get flammed when you criticized Yao.

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

hmm i know this is a pretty bad perspective but.. he seems like he only really steps up his game against teams we really need to beat. but with that being said the main reason why we won wasn't just because mcgrady had a hot hand tonight, it was because him, yao and....the team stepped up. rafer was actually shooting well dont let that FG% fool you, carl landry's hesitation was the reason why his % was so low behind the 3. =/

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

As long it means lessened mentions in the BBS of "She-Mac", "McLady", "McLazy" and other feminizing or patronizing variances of his name....

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But, but...but......what if you DO know everything?

;)

As for Tmac coming along....who cares what motivates him....better late than never.

DD

11. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

yea.... just imagine if the guy actually put time in the off season to enhance his game. I have followed Tracy throughout his career, and I have yet to see him add anything significant to his game. If he had the dedication that Kobe has, he would easily be the best player in the game today and one of the all time greats.

12. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

What T-Mac lovers can't understand is that there were legitimate reasons to criticize McGrady earlier in the season.

What T-Mac haters don't want to admit is that he's really turned his game around during the win streak. He's a big plus right now for the Rockets, and he and Yao are the two legitimate superstars for the team.

13. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

For all of you who think you know what players do and don't do in the off season sit back and read the following...You can pick this up at your local grocers, and the issue is free. I didn't colpy it word for word, nor the entire thing, so if you want all of it, go pick it.

Health & Fitness
    Sports Magazine
    February 2008
    Working Out With T-Mac
    start pg 38

In the Gym with Tracy McGrady:

Tracy McGrady is on borrowed time. He has been for the past 11 years. "When I first entered the NBA and got tested by doctors and trainers," McGrady says, "they projected I'd play five or six years because of the way my body is structured."

The 28 year old McGrady, a seven time all star and two time league scoring champion in his forth season with the Houston Rockets was born with a mild case of scoliosis (curvature of the spine.) His back was also injured following a hard foul he suffered in his fourth season while playing with Orlando. But thanks to his God given talent, and a rigorous off-season and in-season training program crafted by Wayne Hall, his personal trainer for the last 10 years, McGrady has overcome the gloomy predictions and occasional back flare ups to become one of the most recognizable players in the NBA.

The off-season training program begins about a month after the season ends, and includes weight training AND BASKETBALL DRILLS. "It's funny how people said I would have back problems and not last six years in the league," McGrady says, "but my body feel great in my 11th year."

Hall says the only concession made to McGrady's back situation is the elimination of any "compression" movements from the program. "We don't do any squats. We focus on the core and keeping the lower back and abs strong."

Hall tries to keep McGrady on a diet that includes a 60-40 split of protiens to carbs. McGrady is 6' 8", 223 pounds about 9% body fat.

The McGrady Off-Season Workout:

4 days on, one day off format

WEIGHT TRAINING SCHEDULE
    Monday: Legs
    Tuesday: Chest and Triceps
    Wednsday: Back
    Thursday: Shoulders and Biceps
    Friday: Rest

BASKETBALL DRILLS
    "Hard Drill Days," Consists of a variety of about 10 drills that conclude with 10 to 25 made shots. Examples:
    "L" Drill: Start at half court, dribble in, take shot, dribble to back wall, dribble back to court, take shot. Performed in L-shaped pattern
    "M" Drill: Similar to "L", but donein M-shaped pattern.
    Other drills designed to similate in-game situations, such as pull-up jumpers, curls, fades and post up moves.

"BOOT CAMP DAY" Comprised of a series of plyometric drills to improve explosiveness.

"SPOT SHOOTING DAY" Consists of shooting up to 500 shots from stationary position.

So for those of you feeling warm and fuzzy because T-Mac is showing up early and staying late running through shooting drills, so he can keep up with his peers, get over your selves. I'm sure if put to the task, you all could put extra effort into your own dull 9-5 lives.

...and before the rest of you write in with the "dude, if I'd only known the man had, how do you pronounce that scolio thing, I just thought dude was lazy you know??

It wasn't any of your damn business to start!

:cool:

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Interesting article on T-mac. I never knew he was projected to HAVE a back problem, I thought it just happened. . .

which makes it weird that Houston signed T-mac ; did they not know T-mac had this condition?

But T-mac's back has been fine since seeing Patterson, so I guess this point is null. As long as he keeps playing like he did against the NO Hornets, no complaints from me.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

wow i never knew tmac had scoliosis. that makes me appreciate him so much more for what he had to overcome. oh man, can u imagine if he was BORN healthy? dude could be a top 5 player of all time.

and yet he's still a superstar player yet born with a defect :eek: :eek: :eek:

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Thanks for enlightening us, man. I didn't know he had a spinal deformity when he was born, nor that he was projected to play for only 6 years. Good for him, must be tough having to deal with the constant criticism.

Also, re: his off season work-out, that's pretty thorough. And here I thought he just chilled in the Bahamas till training camp.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

not that i'm skeptical but there's nothing coming up with internet searches of "Tracy McGrady" and "scoliosis" linking them together (instead of that particular article Rhay1 posted). It must have a been very very mild case for there to not be anything said about it.

18. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

I can see where you are coming from, but in reality most, if not all superstars tend to do that (extreme example, I know, but Jordan always played his best games against the best teams).

One of the reasons I believe that he has a "new and improved" attitude is because he has suddenly realized that the team doesn't need to rely on him to win as much as he has been used to ever since playing in Orlando. You could imagine that this would be great motivation for him considering his past experiences. Now he can act more as a 'boost' to the team, that added punch, rather than the backbone.

19. RocketRedd45

RocketRedd45 Member

I have that magazine! I picked it up just because it had T-Mac on the cover

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Well, someone vouched for Rhay1. The article is most likely legit.