1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy Mcgrady said he have to prove bulls in training camp that hes a starter

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TracyMcgradyMVP, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Major

Major Member

And he said if he sucks, he would be happy to come off the bench. But he was going to try to prove to the team that he was worthy of being a starter. Again, how is that bad?

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

you can't make this stuff up, the she-mac drama just gets better & better every season :)

3. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

lol i know ,, this is going to be fun to watch play out. if in fact he does sign with the bulls lol

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Oh how I love T-mac and his boastful comments :grin:

5. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

That's fine that he wants to get back to starting, but what if this team doesn't need him/want him to start? What if they're content on letting their younger player start and for them to develop? That's the difference: What T-Mac wants and what the team needs.

So at that point does T-Mac pout some more because he was wronged because he feels he can start? Who in their right mind, after telling the player the conditions of the agreement (we need you as a veteran bench player) would sign them so that they "could prove that they're a starter"?

6. YouCompleteMe

YouCompleteMe Member

Him playing alongside Rose would be interesting..

7. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

With the way he ended last season he shouldn't even assume he's a rotational player. He's basically trying to stick to a team for training camp and he's already talking as if he's a potential all star. It all smacks of arrogance.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Proving you can start on a team is more than simply being good or better than the current starter....you show you can bring more to the team than the other guy, so in that case why wouldnt the bulls need him more?

and they dont have any young guys at the swingman spot, so there's no one there to develop...Brewer is the closest, but he's not someone that needs to be developed significantly...

Plus, i doubt tmac commits to a contract so rigid that it specifically says he'll just be a bench guy. His priority is showing he can be back and therefore it's pointless to sign up to be strictly a bench player.

9. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Tracy belongs in a soap opera, not the NBA. But I have to admit I would like him to join another team just to keep the laughs coming. Sucks the other team might be the Bulls. I would rather him stay on the Knicks, Lakers, Heat or Jazz.

10. Major

Major Member

Then it's probably good for him to be upfront about that so the Bulls know that while they are deciding whether or not to sign him.

If the Bulls only want him as a bench player, then they now know that he might not be as good a fit. And McGrady would know that he probably is not an ideal fit with there as well. Again, neither of those are bad things for McGrady or the Bulls.

But at this point, we're only going on unnamed sources that say that the Bulls definitely only want a bench player. I would think if, by some miracle, he showed himself back to 2004 McGrady, they would be happy to see him starting.

11. Major

Major Member

True. Most players who are coming off injuries approach teams saying "hey, I was injured and think I suck now. I probably can't stick in your rotation, but please sign me!"

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The correct answer would have been:

"I will do whatever is best for the team and helps us to win more games."

Nothing external would have stopped him from being so good that they make him a starter and play him 40 minutes, but the way he said it was just clumsy, once again.

13. stillillmatic

stillillmatic Member

there are so many variations of that quote, on teh espn story, he said 30 points better. which would make it .530, which wouldn't make it that hard to believe.

I just don't understand how several variations of the same quote can be published....

14. txmanincali

txmanincali Member

Lets not be naive! we all know McGrady... Exactly WHO will have enough credentials to tell him and CONVINCE him that he is no longer starter material??

15. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Seriously, he does not know when to stop. Someone buy that man a prediction muzzle.

16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

At least he is acknowledging that he has to earn his pt now

17. Major

Major Member

But then we just end up with athletes who repeat cliches that apply to everyone and don't actually ever say anything.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

im guessing tmac said 30, meaning games, without really thinking.....they probably asked him to clarify once the story ran, since it seemed odd, and he he said he meant points...unless there's actual audio of it, but i doubt it, who has ever referred to an improvement in points?? Plus, that would be underestimating the acquisitions, too low.

19. Rocketman81

Rocketman81 Member

There is no chance of Mcgrady starting for this team. He is too slow to keep up with the SG's in the league which makes him a SF. Sorry but he will not beat out Deng for starting SF.

20. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Ronnie Brewer is with the Bulls. I hope you didn't forget that. There are rumors out there even before McGrady name was brought up that they were trying to trade Deng contract. The offseason is far from over. This team probably isn't finished. Maybe it is maybe its not but who knows

Hey just a couple of years guys were so damn excited about Steve Francis in training camp. He failed. Will McGrady fail? who knows. Just like the Francis situation we are all just going to have 2 wait!!!!!