1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady makes Hall of Fame on April Fool's Day (Rudy snubbed again)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 1, 2017.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

this is why Tracy went into media so he can get the popular vote. Harden not popular in the media whereas Westbrook is so Harden will lose MVP again.

tinman and napalm06 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Memories man. Championship memories are the best without doubt.

But any heroics would leave memories.

If you do not want to be part of this, fine but I guess people here will honor him.

Mainly his time in Orlando and Houston did lead him to the HOF!

I surely did not bring up Jordan, responding was what I did lol. You can honor any decent Ex Rocket player without bringing up Jordan.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Wasnt that sweet of him? Blessing the Canadians with his defense. Maybe his defense was denied a Visa to USA?

Also nice of him to defer to Yao. Yao was finally able to take his team to the second round without McGrady in the way.

And Orlando? He was mouthing off and blowing 3-1 series lead in Orlando as well. They shipped him out because of his attitude and most Magic fans dont like him either lol...

Anyways, why are you being so defensive about HOF? I already said he deserves to be in hall of fame for someone that could not take his team past the first round in 8 tries. How many other players can claim that? This is what Tracy McGrady is best known for and will be best known for in the future as well. What better way to remind everyone than including him in HOF?

"It feels good to finally be in the second round." - McGrady in Orlando, with a 3-1 series lead against Pistons. Proceeds to blow the lead and lose the series. That right there is HOF worthy material! :D

#103 Zboy, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    tinman likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rudy T deserves to be in the HOF more than McGrady. I don't have a problem with him being selected for it though.

francis 4 prez and Deckard like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with TMac in HOF.

I think it's close, due to him really only playing 8 yrs, yet not so dominant that he won an MVP or title or Gold Medal even. I guess that 30ppg stratosphere is key. I don't think he should have been 1st Ballot, though. George Gervin didn't get in for his first 5 yrs of so of eligibility. If this were MLB, he wouldn't have made it 1st Ballot, imo. But this Basketball HOF is weird.

So, I'm just very convervative on 1st Ballot. He doesnt' have that criteria. Also, he doesn't have the criteria of Retired Jersey in Houston, imo. But I'm very conservative about that, too.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One guess is that he is much more revered and acknowledged within the league than for instance on this board.

All his projects around the globe, with Darfur. He was Top 3 jersey sale in China and Asia at one time.

This has little to do with Basketball itself but his impact when he was at his peak almost equals that of Yao.

That explains why people who voted him in were not concerned with 2nd rounds, rings, quitting....... They see one of the best talents in that era whose career was overshadowed by injuries.

I am not so sure about who gets in first is really that important and what criteria there are. Rudy should get in at some point.

Maybe the HOF is a big circle of selected talented Ballers and not just Winners and Losers.

Winning titles, MVPs, Final MVPs is just an honor designed for the player, the team he played for, the media, the public incl.fans to remember that player by.

The so called "Legacy". Some players are always greater than others. (Old Animal Farm saying)

#106 daywalker02, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Snow Villiers likes this.
  7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

CONGRATS TO OUR HALL OF FAMERS!
    [​IMG]

EssTooKayTD, Fulgore, DudeWah and 2 others like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lot of his jersey sales and fan popular in Asia was due to being a teammate of Yao, though.

1st Ballot is a big deal in MLB. Very big deal. Gervin had to wait for it.

Look at it the other way around. What's the big deal to him, if he doesn't get in right away. That's why you reserve 1st Ballot to the absolute best. But I agree, basketball doesn't really seem to care at all. It also makes the voters think more about the Webber's on the ballot. It gives them a reason to hold off on McGrady and consider Webber.

9. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Fitting how? By pissing off all the fools?

10. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Fitting how? By pissin off all the fools?

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A toast to TMac. Thanks for the good times. Sucks how it ended.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  12. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Fitting how? By pissin off all the fools?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure. Yao was the biggest thing there was but people do prefer perimeter players a lot and players that are about as tall as a normal guy.

Therefore Iverson will always be popular.

Just take Vince Carter for example, he might still be playing, but Tmac was light years more popular at his peak.

Webber is the one that I really want to see joining in as well. As a player.

I do not know too much about NFL, MLB, NHL hall of fame criteria.

As the NBA is becoming more global, I feel the Naismith HOF is also expanding, considering more players.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Imagine McGrady following Clutchfans for years and dedicating the HoF induction to tinmac in teh speech.

Would be the best CF moment of all time.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

No they don't. Not even remotely close. In 2009, we had a championship level roster. And what did McGrady do? He entered the season noticeably overweight after having routine arthroscopic surgery in the previous offseason. He then played poorly enough to get on the trading block, and when it looked like we might've traded him for Vince Carter, he announced season ending microfracture surgery right before the trade deadline which killed his trade value.

Personally, I think it was an unnecessary surgery b/c at least 3 doctors advised against it. Also, since the last year of his contract was 2010, the timing of the surgery was perfect for him. Have surgery in 2009 so there'd be no excuses in 2010. Have a great 2010 and then sign another monster contract.

As a result of McGrady not playing, the Rockets' offense ran primarily through Yao, and in the 2nd round of the playoffs, it was discovered that he had a stress fracture in his foot.

Has any player ever intentionally torpedoed a contending team mid-season like McGrady did in 2009?

Zboy likes this.
  16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Tracey is a Hall of Fame talent undoubtedly. Get over your immature petulant tantrum hate. You guys (tinman) are too old for the mindless trolling.

He had some bad moments here and great ones but he's certainly a hall of gamer for his body of work. Greatest natural talent ever, the heart is why my he sadly didn't achieve his potential.

But he's a HOF.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea right, because intentionally taking an unnecessary surgery that could destroy your career is such a great move and what he had in mind.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

At that point, he was already playing like crap, and he was already in his 12th year in the NBA. What did he have to lose? Like I said, the timing (in terms of his contract) worked perfectly in his favor. You may think it was a coincidence, but I don't.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Athletes don't take career-threatening surgeries, unless it's the last resort in their mind. If he thought it could have been avoided, he'd have shut down for the season and gone into rehab.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I don't know if NBA players can just "shut down" for the season if they want to. Don't forget that multiple doctors said microfracture was unnecessary. So obviously, it could've been avoided.