1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady is training to be a pitcher and wants to try out for the Skeeters...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jan 11, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

2 people like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I laughed..

3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Yes, in his last interview he stated that he lives in Houston

4. thino

thino Contributing Member

why is this even in the GARM?

tmac will forever haunt this section.

5. PeppermintCandy

Awesome. Whatever faults TMac may have had, I can't help but appreciate his love for sports, whether playing in China for a season with a mediocre team, or swallowing his pride to ride the bench of an NBA team, and now this. You might say he does these things just to get another paycheck, but I think he does it because the man truly loves playing.

6. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

where is the ****ing tinman ?

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i wouldn't be surprised if he led them to a 22 game win stream too.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Probably same reason you were lol

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is the perfect game for him,.. soft.. ball

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Funny, because several years back, we did an April Fools Joke photo that had Tracy McGrady playing for the Astros.

[​IMG]

bmd deserves a lot of credit for this and for passing it along to us. He posted it three weeks before anyone even sniffed it. That's one post that deserves to be repped.

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

replace the SK with a Q

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

KPRC reported it last night around 10:30pm. I'm not sure if that was before or after JVG's mention.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Well... if someone homers off him, at least he knows it's "on him".

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sorry you're not getting any credit from the media bmd :(:p

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/2...hope-to-play-professional-baseball-is-no-joke

HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Former NBA star TracY McGrady is working with Arizona Diamondbacks pro scout Scipio Spinks in an attempt to play professional baseball as a pitcher.

According to Spinks McGrady's initial goal is to sign with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Atlantic League for the upcoming season.

Spinks said he has been working with McGrady three times a week for the past three months.

"When Tracy came out I was already to tell him, 'Tracy I don't want you to get embarrassed going out here doing that,'" Spinks said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"Once he got on the mound and started throwing, I looked at Deacon Jones (special assistant to the Skeeters president), Deacon looked at me, and (I said) there's something there."

After Spinks began working with McGrady he became convinced the seven-time NBA All-Star could play professional baseball.

"If the season starts tomorrow Tracy McGrady will be able to pitch on that Skeeters team," Spinks said.

Spinks and McGrady have been working at Constellation Field, the home park of the Sugar Land Skeeters.

"He's not throwing as hard as everybody said," Spinks said. "I don't know where that came from.

"(McGrady is throwing) between 85 and 86 miles per hour and that's without adrenalin, that's without hitters at the plate and the longer he throws, the looser he'll get and the harder he'll throw.

"I can see him throwing in the 90s, but he's nowhere in the 90s now, not even close."

Spinks said McGrady is easy to coach.

"I showed him how to throw a slider," Spinks said. "It took him five minutes to learn it. He has good break on it. It's a true slider.

"Because he's such a great scorer in basketball, his focus is so good when he throws the baseball. He hits both sides of the plate with no problem."

Spinks said McGrady has great passion for the game of baseball.

McGrady told Spinks: "'Baseball has been my love. I've always wanted to play this game.'

"His goal is to go out there and pitch and not just to go out there and pitch, but he wants to pitch competitively, and hopefully he might get picked up on a Major League club," Spinks said.

"I don't know if he'll make it to the Big Leagues, but I feel that he'll play affiliated baseball."

Spinks said McGrady is very serious about his attempt to play professional baseball.

"Come out there and stand up to the plate while he's throwing the ball and see if that's a carnival act," Spinks said. "This is not a joke.

"This is not a show."

ESPN first reported about McGrady's effort to play professional baseball.​

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Puff (Nuno) should pick up the story and finish by saying it was first reported on Clutchfans.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

85-86 ain't bad for a guy just picking up pitching again, no? If he has any kind of control can't he at least not get killed at a lower level competition?

19. bmd

bmd Member

Well now you know my source lol... Scipio Spinks works at Proway Baseball here in Houston. I thought he was still a scout with the Astros. Apparently he's a scout with Arizona now. Didn't know that.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Pretty good.