1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the shark, Jan 30, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lol... sounds like Tmac is a borderline scrub his entire career :rolleyes:

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's your words. my words are factual.

This thread was created because the OP wanted to know what McGrady has ACTUALLY DONE besides what he had mentioned.

Not "What if, or what would or what should or what could"

3. the shark

the shark Member

Point well taken. I agree with you.
    McGrady was indeed "a very good player".
    But a great player? NO freakin' way.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

same could be said about Yao....

Fact is I don't think even Lebron could lead a bunch of scrubs to the WCF
    ECF yes but not WCF

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

those did not factor in that he came very close to the second round... it's not like his teams went 0-4 and 1-4 all the way

and he was still a member of the team that went to the second round regardless

that is a fact too .. talking about facts

and talking about payment...Players like Rashard Lewis was paid the same and brought less, riding the coattails of Howard

6. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Good Lord. Really? :grin: First of all, I LOVE BASKETBALL. Rockets fan? Bulls fan? Forget that.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm not denying any facts. None.

He was a great player. I don't need to quantify it on a scale of 1-10 for you or wait for you to spend two hours formulating criteria that separate McGrady from Kobe Bryant. The fact that we're even discussing this at this point is proof that the man has a legacy..

I don't care about this "you vs me" or "us vs. them stuff". Why are you trying so hard to label me? I am a Rockets fan. The team comes first, and I recognize that this man played his heart out to win. You're free to boo anyone who you think deserves it, but maybe try a little harder to be objective while you're at it.

8. the shark

the shark Member

Anyone that would imply McGrady was a scrub had their head up their ass!!!!

He was no doubt a very good talent.
    Did a lot of things extremely well.

Impressive stats don't mean jack!!

Did Magic, Jordan, Bird, Hakeem, or any "great" player QUIT on their team in the middle of a game?

The NBA isn't like the old MLB where only the division winners make the playoffs. Eight teams from each conference make it each yr. In a career that lasted 16 yrs he NEVER got out of the 1st rd.

Allen Iverson took a team of Raja Bell, Matt Geiger, Tyrone Hill, Toni Kukoc, George Lynch, Todd macCuloch, Aaron McKie, Nazr Mohammed, Mutombo, Kevin Ollie, Theo Ratiff, and Eric Snow, not to the 2nd rd, but the NBA championship.
    Any other "great" or "all-star" players on that team?

Great players don't pull the **** that McGrady did.
    It's NOT in their DNA.

For a franchise that has had guys like Moses Malone and Hakeem.....guys who brought it every night, to call McGrady a great player as well is an INSULT to them.

Look at the team that Malone brought to the finals while with the Rockets.
    Henderson, Leavel, Reid, Willoughby, Dunleavy, and Murphy at the end of his career. Did he have another great player on that team? Did he even have another all-star caliber player along side of him?

McGrady fans.......QUIT TRYING TO MAKE HIM OUT TO BE SOMETHING THAT HE NEVER WAS!!!!!!

For those of you who defend him you are flat out clueless!!!!

9. tinman

Supporting Member

you didn't answer my question if you were old enough to remember the early 90s matchup between the Rockets and the Bulls.

Not age discriminating, but knowing a team based on watching them is a factor in discussion.

Some 5 year old kid talking about Dr J and Kareem is probably not credible.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree ... most of the time and during playoffs he played his heart out but there were moments when he did coast and did not work out properly
    because the results were mediocre and expectations are high
    I still won't boo him because I felt most of the time he tried.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh didn't know you wanted to be that technical.

Ok, Tracy McGrady never played a single second or millisecond of a 2nd round playoff game.

That season where the Rockets defeated Portland and took the Lakers to 7 with team of guys with heart, McGrady played 35 total games.

The NBA season is 82 games plus the playoffs. In the playoffs he played 0 seconds . He was the highest paid Rocket.

Rk Player Salary
    1 Tracy McGrady $20,370,437
    2 Yao Ming $15,070,550
    3 Metta World Peace $7,400,000
    4 Shane Battier $6,448,900
    5 Brian Cook $3,500,000
    6 Luis Scola $3,100,667
    7 Carl Landry $3,000,000
    8 Jackie Butler $2,552,000
    9 Luther Head $1,962,378
    10 Brent Barry $1,910,000
    11 Chuck Hayes $1,768,000
    12 Justin Reed $1,573,000
    13 Kyle Lowry $1,163,520
    14 Aaron Brooks $1,045,560
    15 Von Wafer $826,269
    16 Joey Dorsey $816,500
    17 Dikembe Mutombo $794,491
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2009.html

Is that better?

12. napalm06

Pot, meet kettle.

You have a very black and white way of thinking about this topic. Tracy either has to be a villain or a hero to you. Tracy is a grey area; again, the fact that we're arguing about this 2013 is proof that he is a tragic failure. He's Harvey Dent. He quit on the team, but one year doesn't tell his whole story.

By attributing some GOOD attributes to McGrady, I am suddenly labeled as a TOF. Carry on...

13. the shark

the shark Member

Daywalker, and with your logic, Cushing was a member of a team that made it to the Divisional rd of the NFL playoffs? On the team? Yes. Contributor HELL NO!!!!!

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not really. That sort of money Les spent with a good conscience years ago.
    I did not say he had to play a minute of a second round playoff game.... he was still a member of that team.... playing or not playing....

He played in regular season thus making him a part of the team
    You still don't get it..... Regular season is still key to making the playoffs

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I think the OP understands Harvey Dent, he just doesn't like the Penguins that follow up and prop him up to be greater than who he was, they are the Bane of Clutchfans.

1 person likes this.
  16. napalm06

For the record, TMac gets no credit for the Portland series from me.

I'll be torn up for this, but he does get some positive credit for the Mavericks and Jazz series. He lost. I'm not denying anything. But he put up a helluva fight going down with that rickety old ship.... Luther Head 1-14 anyone? At one point his passing options were Mutombo, Head, Alston, Hayes, Bowen.. meh, we've had this conversation before.. It is what it is.

17. napalm06

Repped for hilarious analogy.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

stop pretending you aren't a tracy fan. I know you are, you show to defend him like you are linsay lohan's lawyer.

I don't get it? I saw Hakeem Olajuwon take the Rockets to 3 NBA Finals and win two championships.

What you and your tracy mcgrady loving pals don't get is that he is not the equal of the greats who actually achieved glory for their teams.

what you don't get is there's no exception for him. there's no asterisk . he's not anymore special than any other all star who has never won a playoff series.

He doesn't deserve to be ever mentioned with Moses or Dream, ever.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

:p does not matter because I am not a Tracy fan right now
    I am still a Yao fan, Rafer Fan, Battier fan. So what?
    I would still trade those for Shaq, Payton, and Horry if it meant that the team could get to the WCFs
    and I would trade Tracy for the right guy too

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I won't tear you up for those loses, but it's disappointing because in Rockets game 7 history, legends step up and become legendary.

The Jazz series we had home court. Everyone is to blame. No Howard Jones there.

But it was JVG's faith in McGrady and Yao that doomed him. They weren't good enough, if they were, the Jazz would be easily defeated.