1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady arthroscopic shoulder surgery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrownBeast99, May 29, 2009.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I say give him a chance. If he comes back with no pain in his knee, the man can still put up triple doubles and career averages. (As we saw when he returned from long rests last season)

If we trade him now, we're not going to get much value but just a bunch of horrible contracts.

This is basically a win-win situation because he can be brilliant and his contract expires right after this year.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt he will 100% return to form. But he can still be very good. And I think he is more motivated by pride and winning a ring then money.

If he wins a ring, I would not be surprised if he retires. He's had a long and frustrating career. No matter how you slice or dice it, not getting past the first round has to be a massive disappointment to the guy, and all the criticism he's taken has to be hard. I think he has something to prove.

And I think T-mac having a chip on his shoulder, with a very good team around him, could be something to watch. So yes, hopefully he gets his chance.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let's Say TMAC comes back a 100%
    We get to the Finals or Western Conference Finals and Lose
    1. Do you resign him?
    2. If so how much?

I cannot see him . . even at his best . . .commanding a 20 mill a year salary with his history and age.
    Which leads to the next question.

3. If the healthy TMAC is not going to get ReUpped and his current rate. . .will he stay? [at a lower rater that is]

Rocket River

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Aged superstars should know they made their big contracts in their prime, having banked $100 million they should play for the love of the game.

But they don't.

In the above scenario I'd say 3 yrs. 20 mil, but he (like Olajuwon) would consider that an insult.

If your contribution is equal or less than a mid-level player, that's how you should be paid.

#364 Dubious, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think if he comes back strong and does everything right, he'll probably get a 2-3 year contract at somewhere between 12-15 million a year.

That changes if he wins the ring.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

tracy will NEVER command more than $12-13 mil anymore. if he comes back and plays well, at most he'll get is around $10 mil (he knows his injury history).

again, the NBA is a business. if he comes back and plays well and the team performs well, i'm sure he would be back b/c at this stage in his career, i'm sure he wants to win b/c that's the only thing missing from his resume. but him being traded is not out of the question. tracy can't control that.

personally, i'll think he'll be traded. where he goes, i'm still unsure.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, I see him traded as well and the NBA is a cold blooded business. To have two franchise players that are both injury prone is probably to much of a risk that Les and Morey are not going to want to take with this current team. If the rockets were assured of Tracy coming back at just 75% of himself of his old self, Im pretty sure there would be no question they keep the guy. But with his history of injuries and the recent microfractive surgey I see them going a different direction. It wouldn't surprise me that he's traded to a non contending team and then eventually waived so he can go to a team of his own choosing.

#367 jump shooter, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009