1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toyota Center's arena music problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sadat X, May 11, 2013.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Where the **** are you guys getting AT&T center's music is better than Toyota center?

You people gotta be ****ting me.

You know what building I like? Quicken Loans. They really mix it up and play unique stuff.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Why not Lecrae? Clean rap, and he is from Houston. For all the LOFs out there, Lin loves him.

1 person likes this.
  3. JamesHarden

JamesHarden Member

1 person likes this.
  4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Houston had them as performers during the all star game too. The Philip Phillips "Home" song. **** was turrible.

1 person likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

thank goodness we won't be having THAT problem anymore

1 person likes this.
  6. JamesHarden

JamesHarden Member

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

hire an organist

2 people like this.
  8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Good article from Y! Eric Freeman, Ball Don't Lie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...lies-nba-best-arena-music-012606944--nba.html

Each professional sports venue has a standard rotation of songs, including but not limited to "Let's Get It Started," that one Pitbull song about the neverending party, and the collected works of LMFAO (video links barred from BDL by editorial choice). There are obviously some region-specific hits that get more play in some cities than others — think Randy Newman's still-satirical "I Love LA" or Tony Bennett's "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" — but for the most part the same few songs get played around various leagues. There's not much room for change, if only because it takes effort.

However, a few NBA arenas are doing their best to expand the conception of acceptable game music. In Brooklyn, the Nets have gone with slightly outside of the mainstream rap, perhaps because of the general influence of part-owner and style councilor Jay-Z. But the real progress is being made at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, where the Grizzlies' in-game entertainment crew has embraced various types of music outside of the jock jam world. Andrew Unterberger spoke with the men responsible for The Basketball Jones:

I first noticed this watching Grizzlies games a year or two ago, Memphis long being a league pass favorite of mine. Some stadiums have one or two weird musical cues that will perk my ears up during the course of a game — that “EVERYBODY / Clap your hands” bit they play in OKC, the weird “Breaks”/”Rappers Delight” mashup they used to play in New Jersey, I think the Pepsi Center is still the only place I’ve heard serious in-game dubstep — but nearly every time I watched a Grizzlies home game, there was a new song selection that caught my attention. Woah, are they playing “Yonkers” by Tyler the Creator? Is that the horn riff to Outkast’s ‘”Spottieottiedopalicious?” DJ Shadow’s “Organ Donor?” The Pixies’ “Where Is My Mind??” [...]
    I figured the surge in awesome left-field music selections at FedEx couldn’t just be by accident, so I tracked down Jason Potter, the Grizzlies’ Director of Promotions and Event Presentation. Unsurprisingly, he sounded like he’d been waiting for someone to come and ask him about all the awesome music the stadium’s been playing. “I think the in-play music started a lot in the NBA as kind of a differentiated thing, but it got homogenized, and I think a lot of the fans tuned it out,” Potter says. “We challenged the guys to have some fun with it.”
    But when it comes to the game’s ear-catching in-game music, the responsibility falls to [Justin] Baker, a 34-year-old ex-raver who’s DJed in various capacities since the late ’90s. Baker handles the Click Effects, named for the software which operates the in-game music, choosing dozens of short, usually instrumental tracks to play during team halfcourt possessions throughout each Grizzlies game. “Once the ball comes in bounds, on either end of the court, I have music cued up,” explains Baker. “As soon as play stops and the Grizz Girls or the MC come running out, I take a break and Nate takes back over.” [...]
    Now, the fans have gotten really into it. Potter says he’s “getting emails from people requesting stuff. ‘Oh, the Crystal Castles album! This xx song would be perfect!’” Not only that, but Potter also says that people have been sending him stats based on how the team has been performing based on what song has been playing — “Like, when you play the “Tron: Legacy” soundtrack, you’re shooting that percentage.” He later quips, “I’ll have to ask [John] Hollinger what kind of stats he wants,” no doubt the final frontier in advanced stat analysis for the Grizzlies’ new VP of Basketball Operations.

The artists Baker plays aren't that far out there in a broader musical sense — most of these names fall into what we can call an indie mainstream — but it is notable that an NBA team is asking its employees to stray from the middle of the road and make some more interesting musical selections. I doubt that most fans particularly care, but the vocal minority who do have another way to connect with the franchise. Background noise has been turned into something cool and exciting.
    Again, picking different music isn't a big deal in and of itself, but it does demonstrate that there are fairly simple ways for teams to reach out to fans. All it requires is a small willingness to move away from the norm and explore new options. This is an issue of an organization's philosophy, not just its employees' musical tastes.

And as soon as your Kanye and Drakes of the world get pumped in during game play, It will get tuned out as quick. It will be what I come to expect. Let's be different, let's not be the same.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Same article basically..

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2013/...the-dudes-behind-the-nbas-best-in-game-music/

but I just wanted to highlight this.

It was Baker’s arrival with the Grizzlies two years ago, after the 2011 lockout, that triggered their new radical approach to live action, in-game music. “When I came on the job the soundbank was full of music — and I give our team credit for having always played a lot of songs in-game as opposed to organ riffs all the time — but it was a combo of cliché classic rock songs and rap beats,” remembers Baker. “Once they showed me how to bring in and edit music myself it became a mission to get every awesome music cue I could find in our database.”

More hip hop = more cliche sounding music. Oh this song again? More Lil Wayne? More Pitbull? I guess this game just got 77 Percent better.

Oh cool, POD? This **** again, thanks for nothing.

Can't wait for next season. I should pay attention to the music more.

I'm just happy they started playing some MGMT at Toyota Center for offensive half court sets.

I hate everybody clap your hands.

I really like Organ music though.

2 people like this.
  10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The Cavs are usually the best when it comes to arena music. Every time I watch one of their games, they always seem to have a good selection.

1 person likes this.
  11. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

GET TRILL OG IN HEREEEEE

12. r0cketeer

r0cketeer Member

I agree. Gotta find someone who understands what gets our guys going. New era, new music

1 person likes this.
  13. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

**** they need all the Houston legends (still alive) to get together and make a Houston Rockets Game/sound track that would be dope!:eek:

14. 95Rockets

95Rockets Member

Pop or alternative is the more mainstream compared to country or rap.

Country is too white and rap too black. There has to be somewhat some universal appeal.

If it's Houston's plan to attract the most and best free agents, they have to play more rap when those potential players come to Toyota Center (as visitors)

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

toyota center experience is terrible. the rockets have the ball and how can any team get a rhythm with a clapping sound that progressively gets faster and faster. as the claps get faster it would make me nervous and start thinking about forcing up a shot.. the guys who is in charge of music at TC has done a terrible job. its not 1995 anymore, no ""were not ready for this", techno is no longer a genre people listen to.. and put away the jock jams cd...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

brooklyn nets starting lineup come out to this..

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1X46RsCxgqE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

rockets come out to this..

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DJ6CcEOmlYU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

As the Rockets are fast breaking up the court, I doubt the players are even aware of what song is being played in the arena. The music is for the fans, not the players. I don't think the majority of the fans in Toyota Center want to hear Rap music.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We need some death metal.

19. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

The music is terrible, I would rather have no music than the stuff they are putting on in there or just the organ I have grown accustom to hearing during the older games. Another thing, "Every body clap your hands, dun dun dun dun dun dun dun", they really, really need to stop that. Having said that, yes, they need a completely revamped music cycle that they play. No one is getting hyped at all playing what they are spewing right now, it's terrible.

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arena music is meant for the enjoyment of the fans. If the fans are pumped and screaming the players will feed off that.

I thought Toyota Centers overall game music selection was very good this year.