1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toyota Center and "Home Field Advantage"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Jan 20, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

First off--I was very young when we were at the Summit. By the time I was able to recall games, it was the Compaq Center. Regardless, if my memory serve me right, we actually had some home field advantage back then. When watching highlights of our team in the 80s and early 90s, we had stellar crowds.

I've been to 3 games so far this year, and the environment is completely dead. I mean, its embarrassing.

The Rockets tried to address it, as they PAID the Red Rowdies to be excited. But theres only so much you can do.

Is there any solution to this? I guess part of the problem is that the lower bowl is largely corporate seating, and they either come in late or don't come at all. If thats our only issue, why don't other teams have the same issue?

Sorry if this thread just comes off as a rant, but I wanted to see other people's opinion on it. I mean, we have one of the biggest, smartest (at times) fan bases, and CF represents the power of this fan base. Can we ever get to OKC/GS's home field adv. level?

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I get up and start screaming and half the people just look at me like its some sort of spectacle. Your supposed to get off your ass, scream, chear, and woot at the top of your lungs. Lower bowl is a disgrace, but was actually better than most games today.

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Rowdies are hard to hear on TV lately. wonder if TNT dilutes the crowd noise cause I do not get CSN Houston.

4. archinkent

archinkent Member

I remember during the JVG days there were way more Red Rowdies and they were more active (with chants and stuff). Looks like there's only a few left nowadays.

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I sit lower bowl for 50% of the games, if you are loud, obnoxious, and are yelling....people just look at you, like wtf?

We only stand up & cheer loudly when we do something nice or are on a run. Otherwise, it's clapping and some cheering.

However, when the t-shirts are tossed out, it's a legitimate ****-show.

6. JD88

JD88 Member

Why can't the Toyota Center be like Oracle Arena?

What's the problem? Today's game when the first qt started, it looks like a ghost town, against a team who is 31-9 with two All-Stars. My buddy, a Pacers fan, even asked why nobody was there. It looked abandoned. I told him traffic? I dont know.

Oracle was packed for this Pacers game from the tip. Its loud even when GS was down 15 points. Turn the game on, see a real crowd, and ponder why we can't, with 7 million living in the metro area, pack a 19,000 seat arena and get LOUD when our team is shooting 10/12 from the 3pt line in.

So how do we make the Toyota Center into a home court advantage? Cause what we've got going on now, that ain't it.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

just made a thread about it. i agree, its embarrassing when other teams get comfortable in YOUR house and get into a rhythm...come playoffs, it BETTER change

8. NotChandlerParsons

Lower bowl is pretty embarassing, but I sit down there (hey I can only go to a handful of games a year, I want a better view than I get on TV) and scream my head off and dont think I've ever had anyone look at me or ask me to sit down.

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Yes, traffic....serious answer here. ****ing cops and navigating parking.

By the end of the 1st qtr, it was nearly max capacity.

10. jocar

jocar Member

Burn down Comcast

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Where in the lower bowl do you sit? Behind the basket?

Try sitting above the tunnels or closer to center court. If you stand up, I can see you and probably hear you.

12. JD88

JD88 Member

That's my point. NEAR max? Against our probable first round opponent?

Even after halftime there were rows on tv that were damn near empty. Oracle Arena is where its at.

13. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

I've sat in the lower bowl and screamed before. I don't think anyone was staring.
    People were smiling though.

14. JD88

JD88 Member

Get rid of the season ticket holders.

Simple solution. Allow season ticket holders to "check in" before games online or whatever. If they dont check in 30 minutes before game time, their tickets are then open to the public.

The Toyota center wins (selling the same seat twice), fans win, the team wins.

Your welcome toyota center.

15. Kerdaboy

Kerdaboy Member

Rox fans...sigh every time I go to a rox game the lower bowl are just sad. Didn't go to the game today and some the united center's crowd during snippets on TNT... fully packed...toyota was like half empty halfway through the forth. Darn shame.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

The lower bowl crowd is just fine when the game is good and competitive. Everyone wants a reason to cheer. The team just fails to give them that reason consistently.

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Fair point, it should've been a sell-out.

OKC was, no? It seemed much busier at the OKC game.

18. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

Watching the Warriors at home on TNT against the Pacers, and the Warrior crown compared to toyota center earlier today is complete opposites, couldn't believe how many empty seats their were.

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

These people get pretty rowdy during playoffs regardless of seats.... but that's about it. Only way to get a rowdier crowd is to lower the damn ticket prices so the guys that actually love the team can afford to go.

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

My seats last year were $72 a pop, now $89 a pop.

This is a huge reason why, but the Rockets won't change that. They are putting a great product out there on the court. They'll charge top dollar and big firms like the one I work at and competitors like TOTAL, Shell, BP, Chevron, Reliant and other one's we work with like Accenture, McKinsey, etc. plus many, many others will buy 4-8 tickets per game(season tickets) and buy maybe a suite.

There's literally about 50 corporations buying 4-8 tickets in these lower bowl prime time areas. That's the least, probably more corporations and more tickets.