1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I was just watching the highlights from the game and i really do not know who should get the starting spot steve is looking real good with yao and if his shots keeps falling hes gonna be great this year he still has that athletisism. mike james seems really good to he just need to start hitiing his shots a little bit better he reminds me more of bobby jackson than steve francis hes quick can get to the hoop and had a couple nice passes. rafer is playing great doing everything right i just dont know if it will last. RA has alot of hard work to do all these players would start on other teams were lucky we has 3 this really makes me feel good about the team.

2. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Remember when we got Steve and MJ back, we automatically assume Rafer will not be starting.

Rafer has been playing great so far. I think he should start at PG, he might not be the best shooter (James) or the most athletic/best finisher (Francis) but he plays great so far and is trying to keep his starting position.

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Steve looks good with Yao but he came off the bench. Rafer is the starter and will be the starter because of his ball handling skills and passing. I predict that Yao will get a brief rest well before the 1st quarter end and then came back in along with Steve as a regular substitution pattern. Now when Steve came in the game, Rafer is still on the floor....so it'll be Yao Hayes Bonzi Steve Rafer. Rafer will then rest in favor of James and Steve will be the PG. Scola will play Center when Yao rest before the 1st quarter...that's how i see it and i think that is how Adelman wants it based on what i observed in the preseason games so far. So i don't think Steve will be a starter because of his poor passing skills...did you see him try to force feed Yao and turnover?? Rafer is just better...speed..ball handling, dribbling, vision..passing and shooting. Things can change as more games are being played...but i see Rafer as a starter and i am certain of that right now.

Also i don't see Head getting much time but if he does it'll be when Yao and Tmac is on the floor. Brooks haven't show me anything. Harris is looking like a keeper so far.

4. aamir

aamir Member

I don't think who starts is going to matter much... as they've been saying, they're very interchangeable and I expect to see a lot of rotation among the three.

I do love the trifecta though. Rafer's looked great, as has Mike, and Steve is getting back into his game too. Steve actually had a couple really nice passes last game.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

its almost like we have too much depth, although that could be considered an oxymoron.

maybe we should look to trade away one of our 3 PG's (MJ, SF,RA)

as much as a heap of us want it to be RA if anyone, fact is he's the best genuine passing PG in a passing orientated offense.

like the thread title says its all very "tough".

6. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Watching the game, to me it was really obvious who starts; Rafer Alston. He is the best distributor on the team. Great decisions on the fast break and getting the ball to Yao. He is even hitting his shots so far. If he stops hitting his shots and starts hurting the overall play of the team or someone looks obviously better than him, then you give the job to that person. Right now Rafer looks like the best point on the team and it isn't really close at the moment.

I hope he carries it into the season.

7. WNBA

WNBA Member

let rafer start in preseason. thats good.

we all know what rafer will do in regular season.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

lol this will be the first time that Adelman has a team where at least 10 guys are capable of starting on other NBA teams. The Rockets have the luxury of playing deep and for back to back games, starting two complete different lineups if they wanted to. Probably not though because Yao and T-Mac will start as much as possible.

9. Barkley

Barkley Member

I agree, but we;ll see what he'll do in the preseason.

10. University Blue

Has there been an Adelman rotation player who could not handle the ball??

Mike Bibby
    Doug Christie
    Vlade Divac
    Clyde Drexler
    Bobby Jackson
    Brad Miller
    Terry Porter
    Peja Stojakovic
    Hideo Turkoglue
    Chris Webber
    Bonzi Wells
    Jason Williams

Adelman teams remind me of the championship Pistons teams -- guards could break down defenders off the dribble and forwards / centers used the dribble to get by their defenders.