1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tough game - proud of team, but where are our shooters?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 27, 2008.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Shooting is one of the Rockets longstanding problems that never seems to get fixed, year after year. This team has waaaaaay to many streaky shooters who in the long term are in the 30% range, including TMac. There is not one multi-skilled consistent shooter (since Yao went down) , not one. This requires the team to play at a super human effort to just stay competitive, and in the end, they exhaust themselves. They don't just rim out shots, they bounce them off the top of the backboard, the sides of the backboard, or miss everything. Their poor free throw shooting is related to their lack of basic shooting techniques. One really good shooter would transform this team into a beast. Now this team expends so much energy just scrapping for a few points. It is really frustrating to watch.

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Jason Kapono. The raptors wanted to shop him during regular season. But, he has been very good in playoffs, and I don't know whether they want to shop him anymore. Maybe, we can trade BJ for him. They need expiring contract.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You mean you would prefer a real NBA team instead of the d-league all-stars?

Honestly, you said you don't think that Utah is that talented but its sad that they have WAY MORE talent than we do.

lets add to the list of types of players we need here:
    Better PG play
    wing slashers
    perimeter shooters
    Bigger "bigs"
    more playmakers....

What kind of players DO we have?

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

but the problem is okur stepped up last night. ak stepped up last night. brewer stepped up last night. individually outside of deron and boozer, they may not be that talented. but they're good enough to step up every other game. utah will ALWAYS have 3-4 role players step up every night.

boozer would be kileld right now by the media if he was a superstar b/c he's sucking badly, but he's not. deron would have been killed last night if he was a superstar for his ghostly act in the first 3 quarters but he's not. they're a deep balanced team.

they won't beat the lakers/spurs b/c those teams are DEEPER and more BALANCED than they are.

the days of 1-2 guys killing you are over. even kobe can't do that. look at how the lakers are still able to kill the nuggets when kobe is struggling or on the bench. look at how duncan doesn't have to step up and they still do well.

that's the type of structure we need to imitate. tmac and yao are great and all, but the teams nowadays are so deep adn balanced that tmac and yao can go off and we will still lose in the playoffs.

i know morey is seeing this and is doing all he can do this offseason to get us another creator, better shooters... guys that will step up AT LEAST every other game in the playoffs.

i mean, how the hell does luther head suck so bad in the playoffs? even price of the jazz steps up at times.

5. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

1- Nursing Injuries.

2- Jazz all over the shooter (no calls)

3- Tired leg of playing under man and trying to stop a great offensive team.

4- Not a true post player that open the perimeter for more uncontested shoots.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, I agree.

DD

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

As you mentioned, Novak can't play D at all.

Bobby Jackson is as streaky as they come.

Battier has shown he can perform in the playoffs, but his shot release isn't quick enough and is too low. He's a spot up shooter.

McGrady isn't a good 3 point shooter. I can't remember the last time he made one of those pull-up, heat checker, home run hitting 3's. He's better of going to the basket anyway.

Rafer Alston is becoming more reliable than his former self, but that isn't saying much at all.

Luther Head just played his final minutes as a Houston Rocket. The guy has no basketball IQ, has no confidence, has no handles, and has no playoff contributions. They might as well sign him for the regular season and cut him before the playoffs.

I think Aaron Brooks needs more playing time. he offers a new dimension for the Rockets. He can hit the 3 and drive. But if he's in the game, Mutombo has to be in there, too. Deron Williams will get by him a lot, deke needs to be there to help recover.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think its more scorers needed with multi talent instead of 1 dimensional guys. Scorer's score. They find a way to get the ball in the hoop either by offensive rebound,fast break, or just creating a shot.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

THANK YOU!!!
    I am so tired of people [even some on this site]
    Slopping Utah's knob about how great and talented they are
    Last year they were lucky to get by the Rockets
    Played a feast or famine Warriors team
    [If we would have won game seven I am confident we would have beat the warriros too]

The barely beating an undermanned injured Rocket team
    and that is with ALOT OF HELP from the Refs

I'm editing my sig
    The Rockets are some Free Throws and 2 bad calls away from being up 3 -1 in this Series!!! :mad:

Rocket River

10. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

thats because we have bobby jackson on korver and tmac's passivness in the fourth when korver is guarding him that masked korver's defensive weakness.

11. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

If we were ever up by 5+ points we could afford to put Steve Novak in the game for a few plays and perhaps live with his defensive liabilities. He could really stretch out their defense but we can't seem to sustain a margin to allow this. Two threes by this guy to end a quarter and it changes the mood of the game.