1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto, San Antonio talking Kawhi-DeRozan Swap (UPDATE: Done deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. TimmyD21!

TimmyD21! Member

It's funny that any Rockets fan can criticize any move the Spurs make. The Spurs with draft picks and the development of young players have a much brighter future than the Rockets not to mention they're in a much better cap situation.

JeffB, cheke64, Jontro and 1 other person like this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ingram has blood clots so we don't even know how and how much he's going to play going forward, and it's not exactly a given he becomes better than Derozan (which is a player i don't really like btw). Kuzma is definitely better than Poeltl but let's see what the Spurs will draft or get with that pick, it's not like Kuzma is an amazing talent or a player to build around anyway, with the classic bs the Lakers were trying to pull off i actually think the Spurs made the right move. Derozan expiring has still some good value imo, and they can also package more picks after that trade.

Cap means nothing though, teams had cap space for years and they have never been able to add significant players...just look at the Lakers, they got Lebron at 34 after they strikedout on every all star for many years.

Also not sure about that amazing talent you're talking about, i really like Murray but he needs to learn how to shoot otherwise he'll always be limited, White is nice but i have a feeling is ceiling is not much higher than what he is now. Rockets don't have picks but they are good in finding diamond in the dust, Hartenstein, Clark and Frazier look very interesting and they should be part of the rotation next season, House too if he's going to stay.

I do like the way the Spurs develop/trust their young players more though, i wish the Rockets would be more similar in that aspect.

3. biina

biina Member

Why should they be on the table in the first place?

Spurs never came to the table to negotiate with those other teams. You are unlikely to get the best deal when you limit yourself to only one buyer.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't really understand your argument. You're claiming to know exactly how the Spurs handled this (and maybe you do, through somebody else's reporting, or maybe you work for them), but you're then claiming that, unlike most of their savvy personnel moves, they were intentionally stupid in dealing their most valuable asset of the decade, inflicting a wound on their own organization. Why did they do that, according to you?

Deckard likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, and that's because Kawhi was a rental and his team was basically telling the whole league that he was going to the Lakers no matter what. They are lucky really to have gotten Derozan out of this.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

DeRozan has 2 more years at 30 mil. He had lower winshares than danny green. I don't see how it was a good trade for spurs.

7. biina

biina Member

Firstly, I am only speculating to the reason why. But it seems Spurs were intent on shunning any deals that would have gotten Kawhi a desirable outcome even if they got better value in return.

Spurs were said have not been 'moved' by pick heavy offers and had told all those other teams interested that they were "determined to get a sizeable return" and would only trade Kawhi for an all star caliber player + high potential young players + draft picks.

Clippers were rumored to have offered Harris + 12th and 13th pick which was declined, while Lakers were said to be willing to trade any player on their roster for Kawhi. But then Spurs settle for Derozan and a protected pick (even included an expiring Danny Green contract). Was that really the best they could get?

To me, its similar to how Pelicans handled Davis transfer request (i.e. player wont get his wish), as I think they will never get as much value as what Lakers had offered back then.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Kawhi's agent/uncle knows his rights.

9. B-Bob

Thanks for explaining. I get it now, and that might really have happened. I could see a Spurs perspective where part of the business model is making sure players don't think they can call their own shots and effectively violate signed contracts. Very high risk if they did that in this case. It's interesting. I definitely agree the Pels seemed to do that.

BamBam likes this.
  10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Called it.

Jontro, bmelo and malakas like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I just think considering the situation it wasn't bad, Kawhi was expiring, refusing to playing and wanted to go to L.A...that was like the worst possible situation to handle. Like i said i don't like Derozan, but with two (my bad) years on his contract he's still a better asset than a guy like Ingram which might not even be able to play going forward, i'm pretty sure you would find more teams willing to trade for Derozan than teams willing to trade for Ingram as today.

12. SunsRocketsfan

Umm wasn’t that hard to call considering they were first place before him joining, the only other two teams people thought had a chance at the begging of the season were the celts and maybe the sixers. Plus millions of other people called it too. It’s not like you called a dark horse team making it where your prediction was right when it was against some huge odds.

13. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

This is almost the equivalent to betting on GSW going to the finals. With LeBron out and Kawhi in almost everyone had Raptors coming out of the East. Pretty much no one had the Bucks going.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope Leonard stays with Toronto. I think he can afford a good heavy coat.

15. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Bro not even close, everyone had Philly and Boston coming out.

cjvnyc likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Does the spurs GM seek the limelight like Morey? Sloan conferences were they teach you how to choke in the playoffs, an upcoming movie of how Morey traded for Harden directed by Michael Bay, a daily morning talk show appearance after every regular season game, and trigger twitter fingers like Trump.

Outlier likes this.
  17. B-Bob

[​IMG]

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

DD has a point. it's just unfortunate he maxed out what he could do on the floor. Good player, just not good enough to take toronto where they are now. Lebron being in the way every single year up until now doesn't help either.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea it sucks that LeBron was in the way all of those times but what is Demar's excuse for what happened last postseason when Toronto SHOULD have taken out the Cavs but instead got swept?

It's okay to be just an All-Star, Demar. Not everyone can be considered an elite player like Kawhi.

#800 steddinotayto, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019