1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[toronto] McGrady "I wish I would’ve stayed "

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

T-OneAndDone

Rocket River

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I agree

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There was a really good article (and I forget who did it now - Grantland?) about how McGrady just wasn't built to be the alpha-dog (much less dragging a team of Luther Heads through the playoffs). #2 on a good team was where he would have succeeded.

Guy was blessed with mad skills, but had an enigmatic introverted personality that didn't resonate with fans who expect all basketball players to be Kobe.

4. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Haymitch, don't be a Haydick

1 person likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I definitely agree with that. Had he been content with being a #2 and facilitating on offense while locking down on defense... damn. That would have been a hell of a team in Toronto.

???

I don't think I was acting like a dick there...

... but then again, I suspect most dicks don't think they act like dicks. But when there's only 3 types of people in the world, being a dick isn't so bad.

6. dragician

dragician Member

he can still migrate to Canada today.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

You guys forget Tim Duncan almost sign in Orlando with T-Mac AND Grant Hill. T-Mac would have been a better #2 to Duncan than Carter isn't even better than T-Mac at his best.

8. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Well to be fair, he probably is better than certain amount of players in the league. I could tell you at least one player on each team that Id pick tmac over. 50% is a lot. But in reality, he can't be THAT bad.

9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

he's not that bad at all. t-mac could help a lot of teams in the league RIGHT NOW. the rockets are one of them.

10. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

lol of course he says this after they make a tribute for him

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Perhaps the greatest irony: his Jersey #...

and yes tinman, TMac could replace Lin. :)

I also do find it ironic, that his mentioned that "he is not a corner/spot up shooter" (shot at the current Rockets team???) but someone that could contribute to a team's offense as a facilitator. The Lakers could be a nice situation for him, but without an athletic Kobe Bryant (who also loves to operate from the post at this stage of his career)...how is he supposed to run an offense there?
    The guy lacks passion for the game, and is just looking to collect a check. All this other talk is what we as Rockets fans know all too well...just talk.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basketball IQ wise yes, he's better than some bench player on the Lakers

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a douche... McGrady's team was fine, he was a large part of the problem.

Loser attitude...

14. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

A lot of people would have done a lot of things different in the past. OP you wouldn't change anything in the past? :rolleyes:

The intent of this thread makes the content of this website worse. But it is comical seeing the OP defend his stupidity.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The game slowed down so much for TMac he became too arrogant. Think about the timing around 1999 - 2000. Tracy thought he was Neo in The Matrix and probably took himself after that character in the movie as the game slowed down for him in a way that he could navigate it so effortlessly. But damn did he forget to put in the work in the off season to further solidify that frame against injuries.. All because he was Mr Neo Too Good....

16. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Rockets roster alone, Id take him over Daniels, Garcia, Dorsey, Black, and Capela. Maybe, maybe even over Nick Johnson.

17. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Playing wise too though. You mentioned the lakers so let's use that as an example. He's better than their whole bench besides their big man rotation and maybe a healthy Xavier Henry.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah, basically if he wasn't such a selfish prick with a huge ego that couldnt stand his own cousin getting the spotlight he would've stayed in Toronto

Good to know, he realized how big of egomaniac he was

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's the one that wants to play for the Lakers and Kobe. He's got some Kobe fetish.

We can say that, but we all know Tracy McGrady wouldn't last a week in the NBA then his health issues pop up again, plus he's slow and fat.

He got benched in China on his last team! They gave him the Jeremy Lin treatment.

20. zyt

zyt Member

in hindsight a hill tmac magic was definitely a top east team, not his fault that it didnt work out, i think his orlando days made him what he was, the 3rd chucker in the league behind kobe and iverson