1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto fires Dwayne Casey

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, May 11, 2018.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

*Typo*

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Thibedeou would probably go for that!

3. BigO

BigO Member

For Lithuanian, who loves his boy JV this could not be better, dude was racist piece of ****, he blamed everything on JV for years, benched him, made fun of him in media. I mean how ****ed up you have to be, JV had 3rd best per in in semi finals from all players (he was behind only Lebron and Harden) even tho Raptors sucked big bag of dicks,and he still started him of the bench in last game, LOL

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  4. BigO

BigO Member

Also for anyone saying it was Lowry's and Derozan's fault, i agree. They always sucked in playoffs (thought Lowry did well against Cavs this year). But guess who's fault was that? Casey never held his start players accountable, and then you wonder where all the bad habits came from ? They were good enough to do well in regular season with all their depth. But their stars were never fully committed to ball movement (instead always resorting into iso's). Casey let Derozan sleep on defense for year, hence he was total black hole and that side of the ball. If people every mention Harden as bad defender, Derozan is 10x that. He is one of most overrated players in NBA. But good coaches can teach players to do what they need to do and Casey never did that.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

lowry actually played fairly well in the playoffs this year. he pretty much played up to what his standards are. it just sucks for them that there isn't another level. DD also had a better overall playoffs than previous years. he just happened to drastically drop off after Cleveland stole the first two games in toronto. same problem as lowry. there just isn't another level. as a team the raptors reached their ceiling. thats not on the coach. they just need better players and talent to raise their ceiling.

people give JV way too much of a pass. the small ball era is terrible for him.

6. BigO

BigO Member

[​IMG]

He also had one of best defensive rating from whole team against Cavs, even tho that's not saying much, he has improved quite a lot this season on defense to the point he is passable and not net negative when it comes to that side of the ball.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You don't like the circus? ;)

I agree with you. Getting it over with and moving on makes perfect sense. What I find a bit absurd is that they knew he was history right after the last game of the series, in my opinion. Yet they have to go through the fiction that he's being "evaluated." Happens every year around this time, often more than once.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

he doesn't match up well at all when teams go small and Lebron knew exactly that.

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

When he was a coach of the year? Brad Stevens ran away with it long time ago..

ramotadab likes this.
  10. BigO

BigO Member

Stevens got 0 votes.

Raptors' Casey named top coach by his peers

Raptors coach Dwane Casey has won the Michael H. Goldberg NBCA Coach of the Year Award, which is voted on annually by the league's 30 head coaches.

Toronto Raptors coach Dwane Casey won the award, as voted by the league's 30 coaches. Eight coaches received votes, including Philadelphia's Brett Brown, Houston's Mike D'Antoni, Indiana's Nate McMillan, San Antonio's Gregg Popovich, LA Clippers' Doc Rivers, Utah's Quin Snyder and Portland's Terry Stotts.

Stevens downplayed any outrage at his omission.

"The way that thing works is you get one vote. And I'm telling you, I looked at the sheet and there's no way that I would have voted for me over any of the other 29 people," Stevens said. "And the guy that should have won got it. And the other guys that got votes, they're unbelievable.

"I'm stealing from those guys all the time. It's so incredible to have an opportunity to be one of 30. And I think it's a lot more important to just focus on competing with your team rather than trying to compare yourself to others. Because I'm telling you, if it gets to be a comparison contest, I'm screwed.

ramotadab likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

NBA isn't lenient towards black coaches. Meanwhile Portland getting swept and not a single peep.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Why COY when MDA brought a team that had new players to an even better season.

I may be mixing seasons up but didn't everyone say the Rockets were going to have a bad season?

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's more due to the fact that their front office is incompetent than it being racially motivated. You can't build a successful basketball team when you're paying Evan Turner, Mo Harkless, and Meyers Leonard a combined $40 million a year.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Casey hasn't won the COY ..yet. He won another new award.

IMO if he wins it, it be deserved.
    Also he deserved to be fired.

COY is a regular season award.
    But after the sweep in his post game interview he looked resigned. Also they had to install an assistant for him to implement ball movement which led to the regular season success. He's nothing but a mediocre coach and since on top of that he looked resigned to the fate of being swept I think that Toronto did well to fire him.
    If the coach himself is like that then how to instill to his players the belief that they can win?

Nook, ramotadab and BigO like this.
  15. mig0s

mig0s Member

Blame the coach while Derozan and Lowry sucked in the playoffs for 3 years in a row

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Uh, JB just got a new contract with the Grizzlies.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The Raptors needed a real game-changer, like Paul George, Kawai, or James Harden. Lowry and DD are good, but they don't scare people and are high caliber contributors.

18. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I thought that Ujiri, who just fired Casey, was fired along with Karl right after winning executive of the year.

buffalobills!!! and ramotadab like this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I would have Wiggins **** packed yesterday..