1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Torn/Sprained Pectoral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wesnesked, Dec 15, 2009.

1. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Was maxing out at the gym today and my chest gave out. I'm hoping its only sprained, but worried there might be a tear. Any advice?, the ER was worthless. Waited for 1.5 hours for the guy to tell me that it could be a sprain or slight tear and to lay off of it for a week and if it doesn't get any better to go see an ortho.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You tore your tit muscle?

Ouch !

DD

3. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

how the hell did you do that? bench press? if so, where was your spotter? how much did you try to lift?

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

A torn muscle is nothing. Muscle heals super fast. As long as it is still attached and functioning you will be fine. Go to a real Dr. and get on a rehab schedule so you can know when to step up the weight, and when you can go full weight again.

5. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Why would you go to the ER for something like that???

6. wesnesked

Yeah..I was bench pressing...was going for 315 lbs...had a spotter, and got it down, but when I to push it up my left side just gave out. Really freaked me out. I agree that the ER wasn't the smartest move, but when you're in a situation like that you just feel that you need some kind of help. It feels a little better this morning and I have a little bit more range of motion, but going to call the orthopedic Dr. to see when he can get me in for an MRI to see what damage was done.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Don't max out anymore. Seriously. It's asking for trouble when you can pretty accurately guess your 1 rep max (if you care that much) based on your 5 rep max and simply knowing your body. Yeah, you might be off by 10-20lbs but the world won't end if you tell people you can bench 315lb but can only bench 305lb. At least I think it won't.

To answer your question, go to a real doc and have it looked at although I suspect you may get more "give a week and see how it feels" advice from them.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Welp.

Hate to say it.

But you're boned.

9. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "I got ripped in 4 weeks" thread....... :cool:

10. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

You can't get ripped if you fed up your chest, just saying...

11. wesnesked

I wish!...I'm more worried about being able to pick up my kids and being able to keep the lbs off. Got a appointment with the ortho Dr. tomorrow. I'm sure he'll send me to get an MRI and we'll figure it out from there. Praying for no surgery!

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd definitely leave it alone for a couple of weeks and not just a week, especially if you're thinking about working out again soon.

Just curious: did you max out outright (w/o warming up on like 135) or was this more of a last set max?

13. wesnesked

I started out lifting the bar for 10, then 135 for 8, 225 for 3, 275 for 1, then 295 for 1, then 315 for...ouch!

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Do you lift on a regular basis? Because going from 135 to 225 is a BIG jump. If 225 is easy for you, I'd think warming up with something like 180 after the bar would be better IMO

15. Rae

Rae Member

if you TORE your pectoral you're in for one hell of a ride, there's no quick recovery from that.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Symptoms of "The Aids"

17. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

Just messing with you. :grin: Hope that visit turns out ok.

18. Serg300

Serg300 Member

I tear muscles every time I work out.

19. cson

cson Contributing Member

I broke my tittie!

20. YaosDirtyStache

im torn as to what to tell you, trying to get ripped you ended up slicing off a tit muscle.