1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Torn ACL

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulftsk, Jun 17, 2013.

1. underoverup

underoverup Member

You're welcome. You could also go to Mexico..... good luck!

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

those fields they play on aren't exactly level. when you've got divots every 5 feet and your cleats don't catch cleanly, it's easy to have your knees do things they weren't meant to do.

3. Cupidsmoke

Cupidsmoke Member

Look up different MRI centers and see if they offer cash prices for services. I think the MRI center on Richmond near Kirby does. Otherwise, going foreign will prob. be your best bet.

I partially tore my ACL back in Sept. playing ball. The radiologist said I needed surgery after the MRI, but my doc said with conservative therapy he thought I would be ok. Went conservative, and now I'm back working out and playing sports again. Really is a case by case basis. There's always the risk of re-injury, just have to play smart and careful. I think that's where physical therapy helps out a lot because they really work with you on your coordination and balance.

1 person likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm 90% sure I tore my acl back in the day. I rehabbed it myself.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yea, in some respects flag might be more dangerous because in the event of an accident you aren't wearing any padding.

What do they wear when they play rugbie though?

6. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

nothing.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

balls of steel make up for it.

I mean...jesus christ.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

get the surgery.

9. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I tore a ligament in my ankle playing flag football. The field was in bad condition and let's face it we were all at work sitting at a desk for 8 hours a few hours before the game. That's why so many injuries happen in these types of leagues.

10. underoverup

underoverup Member

You can't rehab a torn ACL, you can rehab a torn MCL. ACLs don't grow back.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sensei beans

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yep, tore a ligament in my ankle playing flag football. Actually, practicing.

Also tore a ligament in my thumb this year in a playoff flag football game...grabbing a flag. Still rehabbing post-surgery on that one. But I can't blame it on the field--there's also the "we're not teenagers anymore + we're non-pro athletes" piece of it

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

OP, it occurred to me that you may not know this: I believe if you live in the US you can find plenty of places who will offer you an instalment plan to pay for the surgery. If that would help you out, make sure you ask about it.

I want to stress again, because there seems to be confusion about this: if your ACL is completely or mostly torn, rehab is not an option unless you don't plan on running well ever again. Muscles (hip, legs, back, abs) support your movement. But they can not cover for a critical part of the motion like your ACL.

So if you have a partial tear, then yes it is a huge boost to have stronger and more durable muscles making sure that the knee is not too strained. But if it is torn, those muscles will trying to be replicating the role of the ACL, which may ultimately lead to other problems particularly in your back.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Could you link to or describe some good exercises? I tend to do mostly isolation exercises for my leg along with squats and lunges. Never occurred to me that the hips are so important, although looking back it was occasionally part of my rehab.

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

What brand shoes were you wearing when this happened?

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well, basically you don't want to just do exercises where your hips aren't moving, like this:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't even do that at all. Squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc, all hit the hips, but the question is, are your hips frozen or not? If you have stiff hips, then those exercises might cause more harm, than good.

Check this guy's YT out. You can find different videos to isolate/activate specific muscles and work your way back to doing things like deadlifts and squats.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBrentBrookbush

the thing about the hips is, they are part of your core and most people don't realize this. The core is where movements starts, so you need that area to be a well oiled machine. If it's dysfunctional, then everything else follows.

#36 RV6, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If you don't know who frank yang, Brett contreras, adarqui, yuri, Kelly baggett, what the verticalssummitdotcom was about then go on do some research.

18. jae713

jae713 Member

Your screwed bra. I had my surgery in February after I tore my ACL 4 years ago. I was still able to run, jump, and lift but you can pretty much forget about cutting or pivoting hard. Mine would pop out of place every time and would swell up for like three weeks after. It sucks man but unless you have the surgery, your days of playing sports at 100% are over.

1 person likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You've got to get an ACL fixed fast -- you can't have your knee sliding around tearing up your meniscus, MCL, PCL, cartilage, etc. The only way to pull it off at all for a while is to buy an expensive, high quality brace. My friend did this and was able to do sports like surfing and snowboarding, but even with the brace he couldn't really run. He finally got it fixed about 5 years later and he's got a number of problems after waiting so long.

Another friend of mine has torn both his ACLs (twice in one knee) and he is able to run and really has zero problems -- in fact he's in the best shape i've ever seen him in right now and does those tough mudder runs.

It's not necessarily an athletic death sentence to tear an ACL -- just make sure they use your PCL and not a hamstring or cadaver and get it done as fast as you can.

1 person likes this.
  20. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

There have been people that have come back and played sports at a high level and then gone on to have the surgery later after partially tearing their ACL. Thurman Thomas comes to mind, he partially tore his in college at OSU and had a really good senior year in which he was an All-America selection despite having a partially torn ACL.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1118789/2/index.htm

As far as Hines Ward he had an injury to his ACL as a child in which his body healed around the ACL therefore making it useless, so since then he hasn't had an ACL, and DeJaun Blair also had a slightly different situation in which his ACLs tore but after the surgery, his ACL's for unknown reasons disintegrated. And his muscles healed around the missing cartilage as well.

But as far as coming back healthy, no matter how strong you can get your hams and quads, you won't be stable enough to play high impact sports anymore without surgery (basketball, soccer, football etc.) Unless you become nothing but a 3pt shooter, a ref, or a kicker. Because once you cut, it's the ACL and the ACL alone that provides that stability, and without it you obviously become unstable, and then open yourself up for worse injuries such as meniscus tears.

I have a ton of info on ACL recovery and surgery tore mine playing pickup basketball in 2011 and I also had bone damage. So I had to get an ACL reconstruction and an OATS procedure performed on my knee and 18 months later I feel great, there's some soreness after playing a lot of basketball but outside of that I feel great. I know where you're coming from, I've done alot of this knee research back when my knee needed to be reconstructed. If you have any questions please feel free to respond or direct message me.

1 person likes this.