1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top five best videogames of all time...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Apr 1, 2005.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Counterstrike, and then I don't really care after that.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Arcade Games:

1. Tron (best game ever)

2. 10 Yard Fight
    3. Defender
    4. Phoenix
    5. Astroids

Home Games

1. EA NCAA Football (Playstation)
    2. Tecmo Superbowl (NES)
    3. Adventure (2600)
    4. Pitfall (2600)
    5. Football (Intellivision)

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

This pops up all the time. I'm not complaining though; it's a fun thread.

My votes for the most entertaining games to me personally. Not necessarily the best ever made:

1. Contra (NES) -- so much fun. Plus, I'm the best Contra player in the world. I'm not even joking.

2. Einhander (PS) -- my favorite shooter of all time. The difficulty level is just perfect, the soundtrack is awesome, and the bosses are super cool.

3. Star Ocean 2 (PS) -- I've played a hell of a lot of RPGs, and for some reason, this seems to have found its way to the top of my Greatest RPG list. The story is great, the soundtrack is arguably the best ever for an RPG (the Nede overworld theme is the best overworld theme ever composed, rivalling that of FF6). There is so much extra stuff to do (item creation, cooking, etc..). Also, it's quirky in a way, with the emotion symbols. Toss in a super fun battle system and 88 endings and you have what I think to be the best RPG ever made up to this point in time.

4. Ninja Gaiden (NES) -- the original in this series is still the best. NG3 was great too. NG2 blew goats. "When a black moon shines, light and dark break apart. The king of darkness howls."

5. Bionic Commando (NES) -- I have a thing for awesome platformers.

Common elements of my choices -- great music, great control, lots of action, challenging (but not frustrating) degree of difficulty, good replay value.

There you have it.

4. drapg

drapg Member

1. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
    2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
    3. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
    4. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    5a. Goldeneye (N64)
    5b. MarioKart64 (N64)

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

1. Final Fantasy (the original NES)
    2. Dragon Warrior 3 (NES)
    3. River City Ransom (NES)
    4. Syphon Filter 2 (PS)
    5. NBA JAM (Sega Genesis)

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

There's no way I can list the 5 best videogames of all time, or even my favorite 5 for that matter. If you asked me to do one every day, I may give you a new list every day. Instead, I may try to do some type of underrated list (although I may even screw that up somehow):

1. Xenogears (PS1)- I really, really, really, really like this game. The story line in this game is what got me hooked, and it took me a couple of play-throughs to even remotely understand what was going on. The music and graphics were pretty good, and the battle system was pretty unique and fun, IMO. I have this game just a nudge above FF7 in my all-time favorite RPG list, although with some better funding from Square, it may have even been more than that.

2. Final Fantasy 2/4, and Final Fantasy 3/6 (SNES)- This is a bit of a combo list for some FF games that may be a little underrated, although mostly for those who played the series from 7 on I guess. For some strange reason, the SNES FF's really stand out in my mind, although I still consider FF7 to be the best. Despite the limitations of the SNES, I just loved the music in those two games. Nobuo Uematsu was able to perfectly create a mood with a rather limited selection, and a lot of the songs in these games still stand out in my mind as some of the greatest songs in video game history. I would definitely rather listen to Terra's theme song than some of the crap on MTV.

3. Star Ocean 2 (PS1)- Pretty much the same reasons fadeaway said. Great game.

4. Dragon Force (Sega Saturn)- I'm actually not even too sure about this game since I myself didn't play it too much, and when I did, I was pretty young. Back when I had a Sega Saturn, I remember renting this strategy/RPG hybrid game that was awesome, or at least it seemed that way to me at the time. IIRC, it was kind of like the strategic war parts of the Suikoden games, although with more depth of course (kind of like an Orge Battle as well). I can barely remember it, but it looks like it got some good scores from a few review sites I checked out, so maybe it really was good. IIRC, I believe it was Sega that planned on re-releasing this along with another game pretty soon, although may have been only in Japan. I would really like to play this game again some time.

5. Dune (PC)- This was an oldschool game for the PC that came out in the early 90's. What I liked about it was that it seemed so unique, even by today's standards. When playing it, you really seemed to take the role of Paul Atreides. It controlled a little bit like several 1st person adventure games at the time, and you would have to talk to several people solving problems. For example, you'd have to get one character to find a hidden room, or another one to help you improve the desert suits. The thing is that they added a great strategy tactic to the game. Like the movie/books, you had to harvest spice, which was done by convincing fremen to help you out and giving them equipment/orders/training. Later on, you could start helping the fremen by telling them to work on cultivating the land and creating vegetation, or you would be training them to fight in battles against the Harkonnen. If you needed some weirding modules, harvesters, or some other equipment, you could travel to one of the planet's numerous smuggler bases and barter with them (using spice as currency basically). That's a basic idea of it all, although it is even deeper than that. I've gotten myself a little nostalgic as it is and may start looking for it in our "old games" collection.

There are some others, such as Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, the Elder Scrolls series (loved Daggerfall and Morrowind), Gothic, and that I can't seem to remember at the moment.
    This is another game I really loved. I read recently that they will be making a HOMM 5, although I'm not sure if it will be by the same people that made the others due to the 3DO breakup. There were some pictures of it, but I can't remember where they were. Look OK, although they didn't have a grid. :(

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Street Fighter 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    FF 2 + 3 + Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Xenogears
    Super Mario Brothers series
    Gran Turismo series
    Y's Book 1 + 2
    Starcraft
    Ultima Online
    Zelda Series
    Kid Icarus, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando, Double Dragon

RIP: PC Engine (Turbo Graphx 16), Neo Geo, SNES, Nintendo, Sega; CD, Dreamcast, Genesis, Master System + Saturn.

I've been gaming since Coleco and Atari 2600? days and these are the games I remember the most.

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I guess I will leave the sports games out....

1) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
    2) Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64)
    3) Super Mario 64 (N64)
    4) Resident Evil 2
    5) Metal Gear Solid series

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Damn, I totally forgot about Goldeneye. I remember how addicted I was to that game.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

when i posted Altered Beast i really meant Golden Axe.

everyone's the world's best contra player when they've got the spreader gun...

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

1. Zelda 64 (N64)
    2. Secret of Mana (SNES)
    3. Golden Eye 64 (N64)
    4. NCAA Football (Any system)
    5. Mario Kart/Super Smash Bros (I couldn't decide on this one because I am the world's greatest at both games)

#31 DonnyMost, Apr 1, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

nba live 95 -SNES
    Mario Kart - SNES
    GTA: Vice City - PS2
    Goldeneye - N64
    NFL Blitz - N64

Extra: Kobe Bryant courtside - N64

Maniac Mansion was a good one

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Best video games

1. Super Mario Brothers (NES) - The grandaddy of them all, without it, I wouldn't tbe the video game nut I am today

2. Baseball Stars (NES) - The game was ahead of its time. You could negotiate your own contract, make money as an owner, etc. basically all the things that EA, Take2 and Sega are touting as new features was done by Baseball Stars 15 years ago.

3. Chrono Trigger (SNES) - To this day, the only rpg I ever finished. I stayed awake 16 straight hours at one point playing this game

4. Final Fantasy 3 (SNES) - Totally addicted to this game, put in at least 60 hours of gameplay looking for every single little thing, and was 75% done when my game got erased :mad: To this day, I can't even look at the game without getting mad :mad:

5. Madden Series (SNES-PS2) - My friends and I have lost countless hours of sleep staying up and playing this game. Our longest session of uninterrupted Madden stands at 42 hours I think. The rest of us would nap until it was our turn to play.

Honorable mentions - Goldeneye (N64), NBA2K (DCast), DragonForce (Saturn)

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with everything mentioned already! :D

Seriously, a game I really really played a lot in college was SSX. It was a fun game. And the next few are good, too.

15. noize

noize Contributing Member

Holy smoke! I thought I was the only person that played that game...the most underatted game ever! Hell, anything on the turbo-graphx were rare and underatted. Anyway Y's book 1 and 2 were excellent, especially the music. Glad someone played that great game beisdes me.:)

16. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I wish I still had my Turbo Graphx 16 + CD. If only my cousin didnt break it :(

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

It's too hard to determine my top five favorites, so I will just give a good guess as to which five I've logged the most total time playing.

1) Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    2) Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    3) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
    4) Tetris (multiplatform)
    5) Zelda: A Link To the Past (SNES)

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In no order

Pirate's Gold

Everquest

Traveler(super old game that almost nobody played. It had a sequel that was great as well. You made up five charactes who went around together and did all kinds of space adventure stuff. My five characters at the time were named after 5 Rockets. Buck johnson was one of them. Hakeem was too. Hakeem would often try to interrogate people, and somehow fighting would always break out.)

Roadwar 2000

The original Pools of Radiance series.

19. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Ugh, too many to choose from. But here are some that stick out in my mind.

SF2-bred an entire genre of games
    Doom-boosted FPS to another level with PvP
    Xcom-was really addictive in it's time
    Legend of Zelda-never really got into the series, just this one
    Final Fantasy series 3-7 and tactics/advanced-these wasted too much of my frickin time not to include.

Honorables: Civ series, Diablo 2, Planetside, Metal Gear series.

20. noize

noize Contributing Member