1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 50 Steakhouses in America, Houston has 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">3 Houston steakhouses named among the best in America, with 2 in the top 20. <a href="https://t.co/iE49MMksp6">https://t.co/iE49MMksp6</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MyHouston?src=hash">#MyHouston</a> <a href="https://t.co/rNDvgsvRZi">pic.twitter.com/rNDvgsvRZi</a></p>&mdash; Visit Houston Texas (@VisitHouston) <a href="https://twitter.com/VisitHouston/status/673565265469300738">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

50. Taste of Texas

13. Killen's Steakhouse

9. Pappas Bros. Steakhouse

I haven't tried any of these.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think Taste of Texas is highly overrated...but glad to see Houston represented on that list.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Killen's had lost a step last time I visited... was really impressed with the new B&B Butcher on Washington.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I've tried all of them.

Lol @ Taste of Texas being on there. I mean its not bad, but its nothing special. They use quality meat, but really don't know how to just season properly or cook to your specifications.

Been to Killens and it was very good, but I was slightly disappointed. Had hears it was suppose to be the best so guess I was just underwhelmed.

Pappas Bros definitely my favorite steakhouse in Houston. Amazing cuts and they know exactly how to season and grill to your specs. 10/10.

Honorable mention to Vic and Anthonys, but haven't been there in a while.

Dishonorable mention to Del Friscos - never seen anyone screw up a bunch of steaks like these dorks.

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Pappas Bros is by far the best Houston.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i've eaten at 4-5 of those on the list. the last time at Prime in Vegas was disappointing- sloppy service, indifferent cooking...perhaps just an off night.

i would agree about Barclay Prime in Philly as top 5- perhaps the best steak i've ever eaten, a great room and inventive service.

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Pappas is pretty good, tryed Brenners last night and it's good also. Ironically salt grass had a steak with one of the best flavor profiles I've tasted.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Barclay Prime is my favorite. Went there a night after I went to Starr's other joint there, Butcher & Singer, which is also fantastic. My other non-Texas favorite is Donovan's in La Jolla, CA.

As far as Houston goes, Taste of Texas was good but not one of the best in the state. I'd rank Perry's ahead them. I haven't tried Killen's or Pappas, yet.

9. SuraGotMadHops

Surprised to see Taste of Texas, it's certainly not bad though, and I do appreciate the old school aspect of the salad bar and side that comes with the steak.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would as well..and it wouldn't really be close.

I actually prefer Capital Grille...but I haven't been to Killen's yet.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Went to Perry's last week on the company dime and it was 9.5/10.

Been ages since I ate at Taste of Texas. It must have really improved to be ranked on anyone's list.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i've been to Butcher & Singer for lunch, but didn't have the steak; still, and excellent experience.

Headed to Vetri the end of the month, a different kind of meal, but perhaps a top 10 restaurant in the country. Philly has a dining scene that is as good as any in the country.

13. R0ckets03

Good call on Perrys. Definitely legit! Pretty much everything on their menu is great!

Brenners on Memorial has really gone downhill. Last time I went there the steak was horrible.

14. leroy

I even love a salad at Perry's. Their Warm Spinach Salad is just excellent.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It's turned into more of a social "outdoor bar" scene by the garden and the food has seriously gone to ****. We used to eat there once a month. We haven't been since April, it was that bad.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Haven't been to any steakhouse except Taste of Texas.. and that's been over 15 years.

Where do places like Texas Roadhouse and Texas L&C stack? Has Ruth Chris fallen off?

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

18. R0ckets03

I love their wedge salad with house made ranch. Damn...now I'm hungry for some steak and baked potato and a wedge salad! :(

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pappas Bros. is definitely tops for me. That's my family's usual spot for special occasions. Surprised Taste of Texas is on the list, too. It's fine, but definitely not where I'd go if I wanted a steak.

I also went to Fleming's for the first time last night. Not the best I've ever had, but definitely a great steak, I thought.

20. leroy

Texas Roadhouse (a chain out of Kansas City) and Texas L&C fall in to the "you get what you pay for" category. They're not horrible but they're no where near the level of these other places.

Ruth's Chris is still good...but given the choice of a $200 meal at Ruth's Chris or at Perry's, I'll take Perry's in a heartbeat.