1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top-5 Sports Heartbreaks

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Baqui99, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'll start:

5. 2003 NCAA Final Four: Texas vs. Syracuse, Superdome
    TJ Ford leads the Longhorns to their first Final Four appearance. After fighting hard, and briefly taking a 4th quarter lead, Carmelo Anthony and McNamara systematically put down the Horns with a slurry of 3 pointers. Texas doesn't get the chance to advance to its first ever championship game.

4. 1992 AFC Divisional Playoffs: Oilers vs. Bills, Rich Stadium
    After going up 35-3 early in the 2nd half, the talented Oilers squad is all smiles, ready to move on to the semifinals. Backup Buffalo QB Frank Reich, however, had other plans, as he miraculously brings Buffalo back. The Houston D folds like a deck of cards as Reich repeatedly finds Andre Reed, James Lofton, and Don Beebe for long gains. Somehow, Buffalo takes the lead, 38-35 late in the 4th quarter. An Al Del Greco field goal ties it at 38-38, and sends the game into overtime. In OT Nate Odomes picks off a Warren Moon pass, setting up Buffalo for the game winning Steve Christie FG. Houston fans just witnessed the biggest choke in NFL history.

3. 2004 NLCS: Astros vs. Cardinals, Busch Stadium
    Astros unable to finish off a tough St. Louis team after taking a 3-2 series lead. Lose Game 6 in 12 innings, then later fall in Game 7 5-2. Fail to make their 1st World Series appearance in the 43-year history of the franchise.

2. 1997 Western Conference Finals Game 6: Rockets vs. Jazz
    Utah is up 3-2 in the series. Rockets have the lead going into the final minute. Clyde Drexler jacks up a shot with way too much time remaining on the shot clock and game clock. Utah calls timeout and Sloan diagrams a play. On a basic pick and roll, Karl Malone manhandles Barkley on a pick leaving Stockton wide open for the game winning 3 ptr, as the Jazz win the series. The Hakeem-Jordan matchup is never fulfilled.

1. 2001 Big 12 Championship: Texas vs. Colorado, Texas Stadium
    Texas entered the contest at 10-1, already having beaten CU 41-7 earlier in the year. Earlier in the day, Florida beat Tennessee, meaning that Texas would be #2 in the BCS with the Big 12 Championship win. After going ahead 10-0 in the 1st quarter, Chris Simms took it upon himself to commit three critical 1st half turnovers and Texas fell behind 29-10.

After a mysterious wrist injury, Major Applewhite came in relief of Simms and heroically chunked a 70 yard TD pass to BJ Johnson on an audible. Horns go into halftime down 29-17. In the second half, Rod Babers intercepts a fake punt pass attempt and takes it to the house to close the gap further, 29-27. Later, as Texas is prepared to take the lead on 4th and goal from the 1 yd line, Brock Edwards is whistled for a false start, and the Horns settle for the FG, making it 36-30 Colorado. The Horns' defense forces CU to punt from the 50 yard line on their next possession, when Philip Geiggar inexcusably gets called for roughing the kicker, giving CU the first down. Jeremy Flores kicks the FG and CU goes up 39-30. Applewhite leads the Horns on one last TD drive bringing it to 39-37, but CU just ran the clock out on the final minute. The NFL caliber Longhorns squandered a chance to play Miami in the Rose Bowl for a National Championship.

2. drapg

drapg Member

As big of a Longhorns homer that I am, nothing tops 35-3.

First time I cried as an adult. Not just tears, but freaking sobbing, snot... the whole 9 yards.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

'86 Astros/Mets (probably the worst)
    '93 Oilers/Chiefs
    '87 Rockets/Seattle
    '93 Rockets/Seattle

off the top of my head

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nothing will surpass 1992. At least I hope. The Oilers leaving is the only thing that's been close. The Colorado game is up there, as are the endings of the 1993, 1997, and 1998 Rockets seasons. Last year's game four was hard as well. Of course, as far as the Astros are concerned, 1986 still smarts.

Last night, I was originally upset, but got over it pretty quick. These guys gave Astros' fans their first ever taste of playoff success. They gave us a regular season run that hasn't been matched in the last 50 years. They took the best team in MLB during the regular season to 7 games. I'm not heartbroken, I'm proud. Of course, having the top duo in the NBA doesn't hurt matters. :)

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

In no certain order.

2004: Philadelphia Eagles NFC Title Game
    2003: Philadelphia Eagles NFC Title Game
    2002: Philadelphia Eagles NFC Title Game
    1997: Houston Rockets Western Conference Finals
    1995: NCAA Championship Game (Arkansas vs. UCLA)

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. 1986 NLCS, Game 6 Astros/Mets 16 inning affair

2. 1993 Oilers/Bills AFC Divisional Playoff

3. 1992 Oilers/Broncos AFC Divisional Playoff
    the most underrated of all disappointing losses to me among Houston sports fans

4. 1999 NLDS Astros/Braves...leaving sooo many runners on base, despite hitting the ball very hard

5. 1997 Rockets/Jazz WCF -- stupid stockton and malone

7. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Oh God do I remember that. I went around the house talking trash to my dad (from Colorado) the day before the game. I couldn't even look at him or be in the same room with him after that loss. It was so humiliating.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

1. '83 NCAA Basketball Championship: Houston Cougars lose to NC State on an absolute fluke play.
    2. '78 Cotton Bowl: Houston Cougars simply lay down as Joe Montana and the Irish drive down the field to win the game on a last second touchdown, 35-34.
    3. '92 NFL Playoffs: Houston Oilers collapse against Buffalo.
    4. '97 NBA Playoffs: Utah Jazz go the extra mile to cement their legacy as the most hated franchise in Rockets history.
    5. '04 NLCS: Astros historic run falls one game short of the World Series.

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

no order. all equally disappointing:
    -79 AFC championship--oilers/steelers. renfro caught that ball.
    -86 astros/mets
    -97 rockets/jazz
    -oilers/bills
    -longhorns/buffs big 12 title

i know everyone here isn't too young to remember the 79 oilers, right? i was nine and actually cried...a lot...:(

10. Baqui99

I was waiting for someone to bring up the Lorenzo Charles dunk. Even though I have no affiliation with UH, it still pains me to think that that stupid play cost them a title.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I was nine when the 92 collapse happened.

My entire family was listening to the game on the radio driving home after a weekend of deer hunting.

During the first half we were all celebrating, after the game was over, there was not a word spoken in that car for the next 4 hours.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Except for the Horns thingy (go Coogs!!), we're close.

-'79 Renfro caught that ****ing ball.
    -'86 Astros/Mets, which I'm still trying to get over.
    -'92 Oilers/Bills... arrgh!!!
    -'04 Last night.
    -And I can't decide which Rockets defeat hurts the most...

edit: Glad someone posted the UH/NC State loss. That would be #1 for me. Can't believe I forgot about it. Guess I'm having the post-Astros lost blues... affecting my brain. :(

#12 Deckard, Oct 22, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i didn't, haven't, and never will forgive him for shooting with time left on the clock like that. you just don't do that in a tie game with the ball. and that's why. because crazy stuff can and will happen.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No particular order

Oilers/bills fiasco
    Oilers/stealers renfro catch
    Cougars/NC State
    96 Rockets/Utah Bear hug
    86 Rockets/Celtics Beginning of the end for the twin towers

edit:

97 Rockets/Utah

#14 rockbox, Oct 22, 2004
  15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'll never forgive him for his ****-eating grin after the game 5 debacle in 1998.

DonnyMost, how can something that happened before you were born be a heartbreak?

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

'97 WCF, nothing else comes close.

17. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

maybe you should change your name to AntiJazz;)

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

2000 AFC Championship game.

Ravens 16 Raiders 3.

Ravens Defense was insane but we were holding our own. The Raiders were only down by 3 or 6 I believe and had forced the Ravens into a 3rd and 17 from their own 4 yard line, Trent Dilfer hits Shannon Sharpe right between idiot-ass Anthony Dorsett who took a moronic angle and Sharpe races by both safeties for a 96 yard TD catch to put us away. I hate Shannon Sharpe, especially for torching us when he was a Bronco, but this made me want to kill people. We still had a decent shot in the game until that happened and then the Ravens drop their designated fat **** grease ball mafiaso ********** Siragusa on Gannon, seprating his shoulder and giving us no shot with lame-ass-failed-Gruden-project Bobby Hoying in.
    I was 16 years old, I went into the living room after it was over and sat there for a good hour staring at the wall completely stunned.

Of course Stockton's Bull**** 3 off the Karla bearhug and the idiotic tuck rule also rank up there.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

1. Phi Slamma Jamma- I actually cried. NCState had no business being on the same court as UH that year.

2. Oilers/Bills- I watched this game at my girlfriends house. I called my Dad at halftime and we laughed at how the game was over etc. My girlfriend eventually broke up with me because of the way I behaved in the hours after that game.....

3. Oilers/Steelers- The Renfro catch. The Earlers were the second best team in the league during the late seventies. Too bad the Steelers happened to be in our division.

4. Astros/Mets- Game 6. No way we would have lost game 7 with Scottie on the hill. No way. The Mets were very lucky.

5. Oilers leaving town- Not a game but IMO it was the darkest moment in Houston sports history. I lived and died by whether the Oilers won or lost the previous weekend. I bled columbia blue. Luv Ya Blue was the greatest time in my life as a sports fan. In some ways, it was even better than the Rockets championships. I guess because I was a kid. I was clinically depressed after they played their first game in Memphis. It was sickening.

I didn't list any Rocket moments because I think once you win a championship, it pretty much erases all bad memories associated with the team. :)

#19 ima_drummer2k, Oct 22, 2004
  20. Baqui99

That pissed me off. He shot like 1-18, and then laughed about it after the game.