1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 Most Likely In-Season Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course, if Millsap, Dragic, or Anderson were available, we should do those trades first, but they are unlikely to be available at this moment.

1) Samuel Dalembert (3.87 million this year; UFA next year)

He's still an adequate defender and a good back up center. If anything, having a 7 footer (almost) blocking shots as a 15 min back up is a plus. The knicks aren't going anywhere this year. If Morey can't find any deals before the deadline, I can definitely see him giving the knicks a few players with a 2nd round pick. This would also get rid of Dorsey's contract (along with some fillers).

2) Timofey Mozgov (4.65 mil this year; 4.95 mil team option next year)

He's an average offensive and above average defensive starting center that is on a dirt cheap contract. If Denver doesn't get in the playoff hunt in 2 months, they may be looking to move one their 3 centers. They still have McGee earning $10+ mil per year and JJ Hickson, so it's reasonable to assume they'd at least entertain trading him. The price may be steep though. Capela + two 2nd rounders would probably be the starting point.

3) Brandon Bass (6.9 mil this year; UFA next year)

We've talked about this guy to death here, but he is a guy that can shoot mid-range jumpers and is an above average defender. If Jones is going to be out for an extended period, I can see Morey going with Howard/D-Mo/Bass as their 3 man rotation. It wouldn't be ideal, but this is a "flexibility option". Boston is trying to develop their young bigs, so he'll probably be available for cheap.

4) Trevor Booker (5 mil this year; team option 4.77 mil next year)

Basically a carbon copy of Brandon Bass. Better offensively, but slightly worse defensively. Utah won't do anything this year, so they'll probably entertain any offers for him.

5) Gorgui Dieng (1.41 mil this year, 1.47 next, 2.35 in 2 years)

This may seem odd at first, but it's actually possible. First, Morey has stated the importance of center play and knows how valuable a back up center is. Secondly, Dieng only makes 1.47 million next year, so he can still sign a big time free agent if desired. The Timberwolves have Pekovic signed to a long term contract, so they may have a higher value on picks.

As for the player, Dieng is averaging 7.9 pts/7.3 rebs/1.3 blks/1.0 stls with a 19 PER in under 25 minutes. If there is nothing else on the market, I'd definitely be willing to trade the Pelicans pick if Capela isn't capable of holding down the back up center position.

Other Players: Mo Williams and Gary Neal. Both players can create their own shots. If Terry + Cannon just isn't getting it done in a few months, I can definitely see us throwing a 2nd round pick for one of them. Both are UFAs next year.

2. hakeemthagreat

I hate Mo Williams more than you guys hated Terry before he came here. Disgusting:(

3. King901

King901 Member

I don't see Minnesota trading dieng

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

Agree. Minnesota isn't going to trade Dieng.

5. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

exactly.. pek will be traded before dieng

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I like the trade for Mozgov... TJones packaged in there should do it once he gets back for a showcase.

7. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Mozgov would help us a lot...but we still need another creator on offense besides harden. I keep thinking dragic and rondo are the only realistic options. Before the season I didn't think it could happen. Now I'm starting to believe we can get one of them.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They just resigned Fared and still have Gallo

More than likely they ask for Canaan.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Canaan.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Papa can be that other creator in limited spurts. Guy knows how to ball.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I made the Mozgov suggestion a few weeks ago - that is a smart relatively low risk play that could give us some much needed big depth. Whether we get him depends on a couple of thing:
    - what the asking price for him is - wouldn't surprise me if Denver overvalues him. You get the sense that before the season they thought this might be a sleeper playoff team. Clearly it's not. I would offer a 2nd rounder and Clint Capela.
    - If Morey thinks he can pull similar production cheaper - perhaps for someone on a slightly smaller contract, or a short term contract buyout/vet guy.