1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 20 PG's?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nikos, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

What are yours?
    Here is a list (not including Wade as a PG). A quick list I pasted in. What is your Top 20 -- in order?

alston,rafer
    arenas,gilbert
    armstrong,darrel
    arroyo,carlos
    barbosa,leandrin
    bibby,mike
    billups,chauncey
    boykins,earl
    cassell,sam
    claxton,speedy
    daniels,antonio
    davis,baron
    fisher,derek
    ford,t.j.
    francis,steve
    harris, lucious
    harris,lucious
    hinrich,kirk
    hudson,troy
    jackson,bobby
    johnson,anthony
    jones,damon
    kidd,jason
    knight,brevin
    lopez,raul
    lue,tyronn
    marbury,stephon
    mcinnis,jeff
    miller,andre
    murray,ronald
    nash,steve
    parker,tony
    payton,gary
    snow,eric
    stoudamire,damon
    terry,jason
    tinsley,jamaal
    vanexel,nick
    ward,charlie
    watson,earl
    williams,frank
    williams,jason

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

You have Lucious Harris twice ;)

but a top 20 list is pretty steep

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

4. Nikos

Nikos Member

No one was PG's, one was SG's, why did you lock the SGs one?

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Because it's obvious I'm blind. :mad: :(

6. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

1) kidd,jason
    2) davis,baron
    3) cassell,sam
    4) parker,tony
    5) bibby,mike
    6) francis,steve
    7) marbury,stephon
    8) nash,steve
    9) billups,chauncey
    10) williams,jason
    11) miller,andre
    12) snow,eric
    13) hinrich,kirk
    14) arenas,gilbert
    15) payton,gary
    16) vanexel,nick
    17) arroyo,carlos
    18) ford,t.j.
    19) jackson,bobby
    20) terry,jason

others recieving votes:

21) fisher,derek
    22) tinsley,jamaal
    23) daniels,antonio
    24) mcinnis,jeff
    25) stoudamire,damon
    26) hudson,troy
    27) boykins,earl
    28) alston,rafer

7. bigsm00th

bigsm00th Member

1Kidd - still best in NBA at setting up teammates; best rebounding guard
    2Cassel - awesome midrange game, killer in crunchtime
    3Marbury - runs pick and roll better than most, 20/8, could pass both this year as his team has improved and Kidd/Cassel getting old
    4Parker - has won an NBA championship, should be best in NBA some day
    5Bibby - great shooter, team aging
    6Davis - athletic, shoots too many 3s
    7Billups - fits in great in Detroit's system
    8Nash - great up-tempo guard, best offensive PG in NBA
    9Francis - overrated, too many bad shots, turnovers
    10Arenas - scores like whoa

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

kidd - i guess i'll put him number one. amazing court vision. not a good shooter who still puts up quite a few shots (shot more than francis last year). can make a talented team go.

cassell - using last season as the barometer, he was amazing. having kg around obviously helped but he put up huge numbers.

francis - i really don't wanna put him this high but i really don't feel any of the guys below him deserve it either. back on a team that needs his talents, he'll be explosive and a statsheet filler again. and all his teammates don't seem to end up hating him like starbury.

baron davis - he and francis are close, i could've put him over francis, but last season he shot himself to greatness (his percentages were not good). he'll come down to earth a little in the west i think. i know that goes against using last season as a barometer which i did for cassell, but it's my post and i'll flip-flop when necessary.

nash - at least for another year or two until he gets older. shoots so well but can still penetrate and create well. may finds things tougher this year when all 4 of his teammates can't launch 3's and spread the D for him to penetrate.

marbury - great stats, could put him 3rd if i wanted to, but how much does he help his team, not sure. in fact, his stats may be the best but as long as his image (and it's backing in reality) remains i have a hard time putting him higher.

bibby - overrated big time but he fits the sactown team perfectly. best shooting point guard not named nash. has either been a high assist man (8+ two season in vancouver) or more of a scorer (18 ppg last year) but never put the two together the way the guys above him have. if peja leaves maybe he'll get more of the offense to prove if he can.

parker - playing with duncan is awfully nice. also overrated due to spurs overall success. will get better, and where he ends up on this list could be high but he has to show more than he has.

billups - another guy perfect for his team and who is obviously getting huge pub from the teams run. he's moved way up the last 2 years but this is about where he tops out.

that's about it from me.

#8 francis 4 prez, Aug 12, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

1. Jason Kidd - Best passer, defender, and rebounder of all these guys, when he's healthy.

2. Baron Davis - Good passer, good defender, streaky shooter. He still has room to grow and improve.

3. Sam Cassell - Clutch shooter, strong passer, arguably the most well-rounded offensive player of any of these guys. Weak defender though.

4. Steve Nash - Great penetrator, extremely unselfish, effective, if weak finisher. Deadly shooter. No excuse for his poor defense, though.

5. Mike Bibby - Extremely clutch, unstoppable in the high pick and roll, great shooter and passer. Very effecient on the fast break.

6. Stephon Marbury - Marbury has all the physical gifts and instincts to be one of the greatest of all time. If he ever learns to trust his teammates with the ball, he'd be the best PG in the league.

7. Steve Francis - All-World talent and a CBA brain. Good guy, great energy, but he just doesn't know how to play winning basketball.

8. Andre Miller - Miller puts up monster stats when he's allowed to dominate the ball and create.

9. Gilbert Arenas. Great scorer, questionable decision making. Steve Francis with less athleticism but better scoring instincts.

10. Jason Williams - Can't shoot, plays zero defense, but he's probably the best ballhandler on the list, and right up there with Kidd in terms of passing ability. He's really improved his decision making in recent years.

10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

01. Jason Kidd
    02. Baron Davis
    03. Sam Cassell
    04. Steve Nash
    05. Mike Bibby
    06. Steve Francis
    07. Stephon Marbury
    08. Tony Parker
    09. Jason Williams
    10. Chauncy Billups

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

A top 20 list for PGs in today's NBA is a stretch. Honestly. Shockingly few guys are anything more than undersized SGs. You can count on one hand the ones that can distribute the ball, run the offense, and make teammates better. Even Isiah Thomas and Mark Price could do this while scoring, but that's why they were consistent winners. Guys like Gilbert Arenas are harmful if you want to win games.

Baron Davis may be a great scorer that can carry his team, but his style in no way translates to a championship team. I still feel he was a huge reason why the US team blew it in 2002.

That said:

1) Jason Kidd (but watch that knee closely)
    2) Mike Bibby
    3) Tony Parker
    4) Andre Miller
    5) Steve Nash
    ------------------------------
    Best of the shoot-first-second-and-third Guards:
    (6) Chauncey Billups (for obvious reasons)
    (7) Sam Cassell
    (8) Stephon Marbury
    (9) Steve Francis
    (10) Baron Davis

Captain Kirk and Carlos Arroyo are two guys I'm really high on, but it's best to wait a little before declaring them anything other than great-looking up-and-comers.

Evan

12. Milos

Milos Member

kidd,jason
    bibby,mike
    davis,baron
    cassell,sam
    nash,steve
    marbury,stephon
    francis,steve
    arenas,gilbert
    billups,chauncey
    jackson,bobby
    parker,tony
    payton,gary
    williamson,jason
    fisher,derek
    miller,andre
    snow,eric
    vanexel,nick
    hinrich,kirk
    ridnour, luke
    ford,t.j.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

1. Jason Kidd - Still the best passer in the league
    2. Mike Bibby - Good all around player with great shooting touch
    3. Starbury - Got the Knicks to the playoffs.
    4. Sam Cassell - Maybe a little favoritism, but still solid.
    5. Baron Davis - Can't argue against his stats.
    6. Andre Miller - great passer, hasn't won much though.
    7. Chauncey Billups - Takes the last shot, great defender.
    8. Steve Francis - Gives everything on the court. Not a natural 1.
    9. Steve Nash - falls because of his sorry defense.
    10. Kirk Hinrich - all around threat
    11. Tony Parker - Moves way up if he improves his jumper.
    12. Gilbert Arenas - Can light up a scoreboard. 2nd round steal.
    13. Nick Van Exel - instant offense
    14. Jason Williams - maturing under Hubie
    15. Bobby Jackson - Instant energy, best suited as reserve.
    16. Eric Snow - good leader.
    17. Jason Terry - super quick with good outside shot.
    18. Speedy Claxton - Really impressed with GS last season.
    19. Damon Stoudamire - Still a capable player.
    20. Carlos Arroyo - Maybe the system, maybe one year wonder, maybe he is just that good.

14. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

1. kidd,jason
    2. cassell,sam
    3. nash,steve
    4. parker,tony
    5. bibby,mike
    6. marbury,stephon
    7. francis,steve
    8. davis,baron
    9. billups,chauncey
    10. wade, dwayne
    11. arenas,gilbert
    12. williams,jason
    13. terry,jason
    14. snow,eric
    15. payton,gary
    16. mcinnis,jeff
    17. jackson,bobby
    18. ford,t.j.
    19. arroyo,carlos
    20. barbosa,leandrin

15. bigsm00th

bigsm00th Member

I still question people who say Marbury's shoot-first when he leads the league in total assists. That's a huge contradiction, almost an oxymoron.

It's like saying a guy doesn't have a presence on defense even though he leads the league in blocks.

I think this is the best list:
    dharocks 1. Jason Kidd - Best passer, defender, and rebounder of all these guys, when he's healthy.

2. Baron Davis - Good passer, good defender, streaky shooter. He still has room to grow and improve.

3. Sam Cassell - Clutch shooter, strong passer, arguably the most well-rounded offensive player of any of these guys. Weak defender though.

4. Steve Nash - Great penetrator, extremely unselfish, effective, if weak finisher. Deadly shooter. No excuse for his poor defense, though.

5. Mike Bibby - Extremely clutch, unstoppable in the high pick and roll, great shooter and passer. Very effecient on the fast break.

6. Stephon Marbury - Marbury has all the physical gifts and instincts to be one of the greatest of all time. If he ever learns to trust his teammates with the ball, he'd be the best PG in the league.

7. Steve Francis - All-World talent and a CBA brain. Good guy, great energy, but he just doesn't know how to play winning basketball.

8. Andre Miller - Miller puts up monster stats when he's allowed to dominate the ball and create.

9. Gilbert Arenas. Great scorer, questionable decision making. Steve Francis with less athleticism but better scoring instincts.

10. Jason Williams - Can't shoot, plays zero defense, but he's probably the best ballhandler on the list, and right up there with Kidd in terms of passing ability. He's really improved his decision making in recent years. "

Good explantions, I agree.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Shoot first is a phrase that should be outlawed. Now Marbury for most of his career has led all PGs in shots per game, is the only PG in the league that can shoot 30+ times a game, he's usually top 3 in assists too, why? Because he dominates the ball WAY too much, WAY more than any other PG in the league, he makes his team play his game. No matter how talented his teammates are he has to play it his way, his way usually leads to a shot or a chance at an assist.

Raef LaFrentz is usually in the top 5 in block shots, does he have a presense on defense?

17. dean

dean Member

1)Baron Davis
    2)Jason Kidd
    3)Sam Cassell
    4)Steve Nash
    5)Mike Bibby
    6)Steve Francis
    7)Stephon Marbury
    8)Chaucey Billups
    9)Tony Parker
    10)Dwayne Wade