1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Reasons NOT to Move to Houston, Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Dec 11, 2019.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Regarding tornados, Harris county had the 2nd most tornadoes in the US from 1950-2016. Most of those are smaller, short lived tornadoes.

Top 10 Counties With Most Tornado Segments 1950-2016
    (Data: NOAA/NCEI)

1) Weld (Colorado) 262
    2) Harris (Texas) 225
    3) Adams (Colorado) 173
    4) Palm Beach (Florida) 168
    5) Polk (Florida) 156
    6) Caddo (Oklahoma) 142
    7) Hillsborough (Florida) 141
    8) Oklahoma (Oklahoma) 140
    9) Miami-Dade (Florida) 134
    10) Pinellas (Florida) 130

https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news/most-tornado-prone-us-counties

2. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I used to live in Andrews so I know the area. I actually like it out there. It’s different but beautiful in its own way. Plus, you’re not too far from Big Bend.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

When I went to college in Chicago, my roommate was from Hawaii. He said he wanted to go to college in a place that had a winter because where he was from it was 75 degrees every damn day. Poor baby.

But, I still have to say Houston weather sucks. Chicago too. Now Houston winters are great. Volatile but mostly mild. The problem is that its dark soon after getting home from work in the winter so there's not much opportunity to enjoy it. Chicago can be great in the summer. And the sun doesn't set until after 8 so you can actually see the sun without an office window in your way. Meanwhile, you bake and steam for 6 months in Houston.

There's lots of great things about Houston, but this would be my list for reasons not to come:

1. Heat and humidity half the year
    2. Flooding
    3. Urban sprawl
    4. Subject to the morons in the Texas State government
    5. Flat and near sea level and 100+ miles from anything different

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

His strip club opening anywhere comment- there are limitations on where an adult-oriented business can open close to a church or school. And there are churches and schools anywhere.

There are tornadoes then there are tornadoes. And what we get in Houston aren't those Tornado Alley Finger-Of-God-Erase-Everything tornadoes.

I agree with this. I lived NE of Ft. Worth where it it was starting to get more arid and compared to that Houston is lush (it is lush) and full of greenery. I even appreciate the humidity compared to the nose bleeds I suffered for six months moving there.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

since 2006, I miss Houston but I may not visit or relocate to it again, a very complicated relationship

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is it because you were exiled?

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The list wasn't that bad. You know you're struggling to fill a top 10 when weather is on there 3 times.