1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Players Since 1980

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jack V, Feb 9, 2013.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure, but I think Magic is the only rookie to ever win Finals MVP.

yeah, but that's overrated. lol

2. Nook

Nook Member

No he isn't.

3. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Jordan
    Magic
    Hakeem
    Shaq
    Bird
    Duncan
    Garnett
    Lebron
    Malone(s)
    This might be bias but I like AI too. :cool:

4. QazQay

QazQay Member

If you looked at my list the only player I said was better than Jordan was LeBron.

5. split41

split41 Member

1/2: Magic/Bird
    3: Jordan
    4: Hakeem
    5: Shaq
    6: LeBron (I think has a shot to be #1)
    7: Moses
    8: Duncan
    9: Kobe
    10: Malone or Isiah

I know I may get a lot of backlash for not having MJ as #1, but, frankly, when Bird and Magic came in the league they were ready to win. Bird took the C's from 29–53 record to 61–21 (best record) in the league as a rookie and Magic won the Finals MVP in his rookie year. Sophomore year Bird won the Championship.

MJ took a while to learn what it takes to win a ring, thus why I think Bird and Magic > MJ.

Jordan
    [*]Magic/Bird tied
    [*]Hakeem
    [*]Shaq
    [*]Moses Malone
    [*]Lebron (he will move up this list)
    [*]Duncan
    [*]Kobe
    [*]Durant

I think you got it, except I don't think Durant has earned his place on this list. I'd put Malone or Isiah over Durant.

6. split41

split41 Member

Sorry I was originally going to agree with Heypartner's list, but after I looked at it a bit more, I didn't agree with enough choices, so I made my own. Thus why this was in my comment above. Sorry I can't edit previous post.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The idea that Duncan has performed at a higher level longer than Dream is just absurd. As I wrote in another thread last year...

And another thread in response to what...

And seriously, dissing Magic? Magic would be my first choice in any All-time NBA draft. He wasn't the best player, but he was close enough and his understanding of the game makes up the difference. He made the game what it is today. The guy was a phenom on the court and a cultural icon. When I was a kid, everyone wanted to pass like Magic, even kids who were ballhogs before Magic. It was great.

Sure, later on, people wanted to be like Mike, but only a few of us can dunk, much less dunk with style. Everyone can pass and Magic made it cool for everyone to try. For those who weren't around, Magic and Bird saved the NBA. Magic's rookie year was the last year the NBA Finals were not broadcast live. Imagine that.

1 person likes this.
  8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

9. FearTheBeardJH

One of them didn't miss playoffs in his prime and learned how to pass before he was 30. Duncan is the best big man in the NBA at the age of 36.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

And one of them had good guard play his entire career.

Do you seriously know so little about basketball and the history of the Rockets that you would make that statement?

On the passing, neither guy is going to be mistaken for Oscar (Duncan averages about half an assist more than Dream), but there is a difference in what position they played and what was expected of them.

Oh, and I should mention that one of them never bricked a bunch of free throws in an NBA Finals game and had to be bailed out by an aging teammate of the other.

And, one of them never deferred from guarding the opposition's best post player.

11. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Clyde was pretty much the second best player in the league for several years. He could easily play three positions. Point, Shooting Guard and Small Forward. And he could play all three positions extremely well. He was the reason the Trailblazers went the finals twice. Clyde was probably best rebounding and passing guard during the time he played, as well as one of the best open court in the history of the league. He was called the Clyde the Glide because he had major hops and played above the rim.

Dirk and Howard wouldn't have been as good in the 80's and early 90's. The reason for that was that it was a different game in the 80's and early 90's. It was a more physically demanding game and required more mental toughness. Howard and Dirk would have gotten slaughtered by guys like Oakley, Laimbeer, Moses, Mason, Mchale, and Parish. I think Wade is the only guy out of the above three that would have excelled in the 80's the same way he did in the last ten years.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I do believe that Duncan is superior, but I really, extremely highly value Duncan. On my all-time list, he surpasses Bird, Wilt and Shaq and is 5th on my all-time list.

My list:

Jordan
    Magic
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Dream
    Bird
    Kobe
    LBJ
    Garnett
    Karl Malone

13. Huricane

When you are looking for guys that are the best, you need to look at guys that were talented and winners.
    And you when you look at winners, you need to look at how they won. Were they the main guy and how much help did they get.

Take a look at Larry Bird. No-one will say he wasn't talented, he was, but he wasn't exactly the most athletically gifted played on the court.
    In an interview, Magic was asked what made Larry Bird a good player, and he said something to the effect of:
    Larry wanted to win so bad, he would cut your throat and not have any seconds thoughts about it, if that is what he had to do to win.

Remember guys like Dominique Wilkins, Derrick Coleman and Shawn Kemp.
    What did these guys win? They were all good players but never really won anything.

Ten Best from 1980:
    (I think these are all guys that would will their teams to wins which is the ultimate mark of a good player).
    1.) Magic Johnson
    2.) Moses Malone
    3.) Larry Bird
    4.) Michael Jordan
    5.) Clyde Drexler
    6.) Hakeem Olajuwon
    7.) Isiah Thomas
    8.) Shaquille O'neal
    9.) Kobe Bryant
    10.) Dwyane Wade

Honorable Mention
    1.) Tim Duncan
    2.) Kevin Garnet
    3.) Karl Malone
    4.) Steve Nash
    5.) John Stockton
    6.) Dr. J
    7.) Patrick Ewing

Lebron James and Kevin Durant will get added to that list sooner or later. Lebron gets knocked down because of mental toughness and Kevin has only been the league a few years.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I have only watched the NBA since 1994 so I can only rank from then:

1) MJ
    2) Magic
    3) Bird
    4) Dream
    5) Duncan
    6) Lebron - he can move up into top 3 if he ends up with 3+ championships
    7) Shaq
    8) Kobe
    9) Karl Malone
    10) Barkley

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

**** statistics and production and all that ****. Let's just go with a Skip Bayless style analysis of "This guy's a winner or not!"

I'm freaking sorry, but Isiah? Over Garnett, Shaq, and Duncan? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't put Isiah over Nash, for crying out loud, and Nash is really criminally underrated by people because of whining about his defense. But no, Nash creating the greatest offense ever< one game on a broken ankle which they lost. How ridiculous.

16. split41

split41 Member

I think people seriously underrate Bird these days by looking at where he lands on most people's lists. This guy is a proven winner, intangibles through the roof, people say he had hall of famers on his team, but he carried those scrubs from indiana to the NCAA finals, that not-so-great 79 C's to the best record in the league. I would argue, he made them hall of fame calibre players.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

You put Iverson over Magic?!?!?

18. Huricane

I couldn't agree with you more. At the end of the day, what makes a hall of farmer an all time great is there will to win, mental toughness and their ability to make other players better. Guys like Larry Bird and Michael Jordan did that. You could throw guys like Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas and Hakeem Olajuwon into this mix as well. These guys didn't care about winning for the sake of winning per say. It was more about not losing and being the best. Bird and Jordan just absolutely hated to lose. Losing was like poison to them. They were relentless. They practiced constantly, played both offense and defense, chewed out their teammates when they slacked off, and gave it 100% every night, which why it was fun to watch them play.

I would argue that Drexler was more talented than Jordan. Drexler was a better passer, rebounder and had a better open court game. Before Jordan won all his championships, their were people that said Drexler was better than Jordan due to his all around game. While Drexler may have been more talented than Jordan, their is no way he deserves to be recognized as a better player even if he was, because he didn't do enough to push and will his teams to win as many NBA championships as Jordan or Bird did.

In today's NBA, the only guys I that have that attitude are Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade and Kevin Garnett. Kobe Bryant doesn't have the mental toughness that Jordan, Isiah, Olajuwon, and Bird had, and Kevin Garnet does not have the work ethic or the ability to push his teammates the same way that Bird and Jordan did. While Dwayne Wade has the mental toughness that Jordan, Bird and Isiah had, he is nowhere near as relentless as they were.

It is just a different league now, and it is not as much fun to watch. Really miss the old timers.

19. nbafan74

nbafan74 Member

1. MJ
    2. Larry Legend
    3. Magic
    4. Dr. J
    5. Skyhook
    6. Zeke
    7. The Dream
    8. Big Shamrock
    9. Mailman
    10. Human Highlight Film

Honorable Mention
    11. The Glide
    12. James Worthy
    13. Reggie Miller
    14. Kevin McHale
    15. The Admiral
    16. Lebron
    17. Black Mamba
    18. Chris Mullin
    19. John Stockton

Started getting into NBA action back in 1986

20. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

I would first open with guys who I consider locks. These are players who have had their entire career play out during this timeframe and have clearly shown enough to warrent inclusion in this list. For me that would include:

Michael Jordan
    Magic Johnson
    Larry Bird
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Karl Malone
    Shaquille O'Neal

That just leaves 4 spots open as I open it up to players who have are currently playing I see three guys who belong on the list:

Kobe Bryant
    Tim Duncan
    LeBron James

So now with one spot left there are many guys to consider. A quick list of deserving guys would look like this:

Dominique Wilkens
    Mosses Malone
    Kevin McHale
    James Worthy
    Isaiah Thomas
    Clyde Drexler
    Charles Barkley
    John Stockton
    Patrick Ewing
    Reggie Miller
    David Robinson
    Jason Kidd
    Kevin Garnett
    Paul Pierce
    Dwayne Wade

So my top 10 would look like this:

1) Michael Jordan: Goes without saying. The guy was really effiecient, while evolving his game over time and winning over and over again.

2) Larry Brid: The most clutch player of all time who was a deadly shooter which opened up the rest of his offensive game. Great size allowed him to fill out the stat sheet quite nice.

3) Magic Johnson: Lebron is making a case, but Magic is probably the most complete modern era player. He could score with the best of them, but held back and made his teams so much better by setting up his guys in great situations which were created by Magic's greatness.

4) Hakeem Olajuwon: The best big man on the list, Hakeem's game was truly remarkable and something we will probably never see out of a big again. I know at some point he was top 10 all time in points, rebounds, blocks and steals. That is truly amazing.

5) Shaquille O'Neal: Dominate big who was able to develop a good touch up to 12 feet that allowed him to be great. Would have been interesting to see his prime against the guys who came before him but we can only go by what we saw and Shaq showed alot.

6) Kobe Bryant: The closest thing we will ever see to Jordan. Kobe's game has evolved over time much like Jordan's did. He even has his same killer instinct and drive. I don't see much room for him to move up as his career is all but established.

7) Tim Duncan: While his numbers are real good they don't tell the whole story. He never seems to dominate games, but more often than not the Spurs are winning and he is front and center behind their 4 championship teams. A truly remarkable player who may have had the least physical talent of all the guys on this list.

8) Karl Malone: I hate him, but that doesn't change the fact that he is real good. He is the second all time leading scorer which is a tribute to his consistency. While he does have one MVP, he doesn't seem to have those 3-5 truly amazing years which puts him lower than others.

9) LeBron James: In the middle of his prime so he has room to move up, but for now I can't put him ahead of the 8 listed above him. He combines Magic's all around game with Jordan's scoring which is a scary thought. Took a major stride in getting rid of his chocker label by winning his first championship but there's still work to do. He is still far to ineffective at the line (especially 4th quarter), but the big test will come in a few years when he won't be able to get to the hole as he can now. It will be than that his outside and post game will be in the forefront and only than will we see how he compares to Kobe and Jordan.

10) Dominique Wilkens: Sometimes we forget just how great he was. Known for his dunking, but make no mistake that he had an offensive game outside of that. Great size that allowed him to do alot on the court. Just a victim of bad timing in that his Hawks teams were in their prime the same time of Bird's Celtics teams, and while the Hawks gave them battles, just didn't have enough. Wilkens remained a great scorer through the first half of the 90's (something that's at times forgotten) and ended pretty high on the all time scoring list.