1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Players Since 1980

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jack V, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Can we please have some kind of test required for all new members that have joined this BBS in 2012 or later in order for them to post?

What happened in 2012?!?!? :confused: The game threads scare the hell out of me nowadays.

1 person likes this.
  2. QazQay

QazQay Member

I know a lot about older players like Bird, Magic, etc but they aren't on my list because I don't think they are as good as more recent players. You can say I'm 'showing my age' but in reality the best NBA players will be the most recent ones. It works that way in all sports. The best players of the 1980s will be role players at best in the modern age. This is due to
    1: Many more people growing up playing basketball
    2: Better basketball training techniques and strategies
    3: (this is a big one) Athleticism

In all sports, athleticism has gone through the roof in recent years. Look at 100 meter dash times. Division 3 College runners today would be Olympians in the past. Current NBA athletes are just ridiculous when compared to NBA athletes of the 1980s.
    So basically, what I'm saying is that NBA players of the past are overrated, while current NBA players are underrated when it comes to comparing players across time periods.

Magic didn't make my list because he just wasn't good enough. In his prime he couldn't shoot 3s at all (he was a worse shooter than Lin). He was also a poor defender although being 6'8 he did have defensive versatility. His RAPM was mediocre for a star too. Sure he had flashy passes and played on a winning team in a big market, but he's not as good as today's star point guards. Morey believes Chris Paul is better than Magic too, I'm not alone in this.

3. SK34

SK34 Member

But But... No seriously, I understand where you are coming from. Drexler was one player I didn't watch outside of the Rockets. (I went back and watched all the greats games).

My point is the top 10 has so many good players, Clyde wouldn't be mentioned by many. There are just too many great players ahead of him. Well not too many but at least 10. If you don't count the players that haven't retired yet, he is top 10. But once you add the players who havne't retired onto this list, he falls out.

At least, you had an explanation for your choice on drexler and you are older so you might understand more basketball but I don't understand some of these peoples lists.. (dirk, wade, howard?) ..

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good lord ...

1 person likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

1. Jordan
    2. Magic/Bird tied
    3. Hakeem
    4. Shaq
    5. Moses Malone
    6. Lebron (he will move up this list)
    7. Duncan
    8. Kobe
    9. Durant

6. heypartner

rep...Come into the IRC chat, dude. That's where the smart people are now that DaDakota doesn't attend anymore.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Durant ahead of Garnett is interesting. As of now I'd probably go with KG as the better Kevin, but that can change pretty soon.

8. heypartner

I'm willing to correct my list, based on proof so far. Garnett's defense should put him on the list.

You're right...make it Garnett, with Durant as Honorable Mention, and asterix *"highly likely to move up".

9. heypartner

Not only are you wrong about Morey's take on this, but by using plural ("guards"), you are implying that other PGs besides Paul are better than Magic.

Just admit it, you were too young (or not born yet) to actually watch Magic play.

Do you realize Magic Johnson won:

• The HS State Championship in Michigan
    • The NCAA Championship
    • The NBA Championship

All in a span of FOUR YEARS. Three titles at each level of the game in four years.

You really should try to understand this. It will make you appreciate the NBA better.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

1. MJ
    2. Lebron

Everyone else

At least based on PER

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Dirk did win a title as the best player on his team.

Drexler was a great player, but so is Dirk.

12. CertifiedTroll

1. Allen Iverson
    2. Clarence Witherspoon
    3. Michael Jordan
    4. Hakeem O
    5. Lebron James
    6. Mario Chalmers
    7. Shaq
    8. Clyde
    5. Allen Iverson
    10. Jeremy Lin

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd be interested to see it. Even though they played at a faster pace, Magic always seemed slow, relative to today's athletes.

14. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

This is the list closest to how I would rank.
    I had Bird tie with Dream at 3rd.

Sans AIDs, I think Magic could have played for a lot longer transitioning to Point-power forward (I think he had ballooned up to 250 before he called it quits for real) to prolong his career.

I'd replace Durant with Isaiah Thomas who would I think would have benefited greatly playing in this era, a CP3 with more offensive prowess.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Maybe add Drummond over Howard

16. SK34

SK34 Member

Speed is not everything in the game today..
    -Kobe is NOT fast.
    -CP3 does not play fast most of the time.
    -James Harden is fast but plays in a certain pace.
    -Irving is fast but plays in a certain pace.

The older players had more skills than todays' players. Instead of trying to make a beautiful play, they tried to make plays to win the game. They played more team ball and played within their limits.. (MJ barely shot 3s, Magic barely shot 3s).. They also played against tougher defense and against more big mens that loved to PLAY IN THE PAINT.

17. MrJason

MrJason Member

1. Jeremy Lin

2. Everybody else

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

Probably the most accurate list I have seen here.

19. Mitchmantc

Mitchmantc Member

Best list so far, but I agree with y'all. That number 10 spot could go to tons of guys. Moses Malone, Barkley, Dr. J, Clyde, or even (as much as I hate to say it) Stockton, or Karl Malone

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I've never seen Magic play, so I'm automatically gonna believe you