1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 hated players as a Rockets fan.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanlogic, Mar 24, 2004.

1. tanlogic

tanlogic Contributing Member

Hmmm, thought I'd start this thread when I read the Stockton as a Rocket idea (ugh!)....Also thought it would start a nice diversion from the rollercoaster ride of this regular season. 1 Rule: No current Rocket players can be listed. Most of the guys I'm listing are from back in the day (well almost all)

OK with that in mind, here are my top 10 or whatever I can think of right now.

1) John Stockton - He was the devil incarnate in my opinion...so many times he would make some crazy shoot or pass that would break my heart - I thought he had to have made a deal with the devil.

2) Karl Malone - While I thought he had a great offseason work ethic, I hated him too because he was so consistant in wearing us down. Plus he was like a huge enforcer type that got away with it.

3) Greg Ostertag (see a trend?)- I always though this freak of nature was created in the labs for some kind of kitchen appliance that just went wrong.

4) Shandon Anderson - Although I thought he was going to be awesome when the Rockets acquired him (which never worked out), I never enjoyed his 3 bombs against us. At least he was not with the Jazz to hurt us when we got him.

5) Danny Ainge - Did that guy whine or what or what? What was worse was he was so dirty in play...what a hypocrite! I was happy when Mario Elie threw the basketball in his face (if memory serves correct)

6) David Robinson - Not so much in the 'I hated him dept' as in 'I really enjoyed Hakeem schooling him' dept. Still sour that Hakeem has only one official quadruple-double (should be two) and Robinson is the other (Could be wrong as the feat may have been done since)

7) Danny Ainge - Worth repeating....I really hated that guy.

8) John Starks - The only time I liked him was his absolute perfect shotting skills in game 7 of the NBA finals. Thanks coach Riley for keeping him in. A real shotter never quits!

9) Seattle Supersonics around 1990

10) Eh I can't think of another right now...help me out and fill one in for me!

Tan

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This seems that it would be better in the NBA forum.....IMO.

Oh yeah, 1. Karl Malone 2. Shaq 3. Nash 4. Najera 5. Bowen

3. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

bibby. hate how the kings always beat us. hate how bibby is always getting open and nailing shots. i superhate mike bibby.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Add Divac to the list please.

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

It was Robert Horry.

Off the top of my head...

1. Scottie Pippen
    2. Karl Malone
    3. John Stockton
    4. Kermit Washington
    5. Eddie Griffin
    6. Shaq
    7. Sam Perkins
    8. Anthony Mason
    9. Mark Eaton
    10. Larry Bird

6. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Amare would be #1 based on the BBS.

7. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could leave Scottie Pippen off the list. After the Jazz, it was Pippen. I couldn't stand him after what he did to the Rockets.
    And nobody's piping up with Eddie Griffin yet? C'mon. This guy took 3 of our first rounders and set us back a couple years. He deserves contempt from Rockets fans.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

ainge threw a basketball at mario's face.

later, when he was on the suns, robert horry threw a towel in ainge's face.

horry was then considered even more awesome than before.

for me:

1) jordan. hated him so much i rooted for the jazz in the finals. just in case you missed that, i rooted for the jazz.

2) karl malone - what a b*stard

3) stockton - i should probably put him higher simply because he could've been someone i really liked (short, white, could shoot and played smart, basically like i play - though obviously much worse) but he had to be such a dirty, flopping, jazzhole.

everyone else doesn't really even deserve mention in the presence of those 3.

9. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

karl malone, shaq, amare, eddie griffin, stockton (he and steve are opposites, good and bad), ostertag, kobe, pau gasol, najera, marbury.

10. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Here's My Top 5 List of Current Targets

1. Theo Ratliff
    2. Jake Tsikilidas
    3. Zydrounas Igauskas
    4. Raja Bell
    5. Amare Stoudamire

11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

calvin and bill used to call nate mccmillan " the rocket killer" in the mid 90's. he used to always bring his best on the rocks.

12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

forgot jeff hornacek, i loved his game, but not in the playoffs. props to derrok, kermit is by far the winner

13. gospursgo

gospursgo Member

Since I'm not a Rocket fan - quite the opposite, in fact - I decided to go ahead and present my list of 10 guys you should hate. Maybe my Spurs fan/Rocket hater status perspective will pull out a few more names you forgot over time.

10. The two previous uniform designers. Your current uniform is the best you've ever had, but those hideous red-and-yellows were followed by slightly less hideous blue-and-red things. These current uniforms have some dignity. (Yes, I realize the designers aren't players, that's why they're at #10)

9. Whatever the names of your point guards were in 1997. You had Olajuwon, Willis, Barkley, Drexler, Elie...and you couldn't get past Utah? Maybe if you had a halfway competent point guard to bother John Stockton with, you would have got to the Finals that year.

8. Kermit Washington. I know he didn't do it on purpose, but I know would feel differently if someone had done that to a Spur.

7. Vernon Maxwell. What a cancer this guy was everywhere he went. I know. We had him twice.

6. Patrick Ewing. Just for the fact that he was, for too long a time, rated as one of Hakeem's equals. Ewing was great, but there are varying levels of greatness, and Ewing was not in Olajuwon's class.

5. Shaq. Just because everyone should.

4. Tim Duncan. Because you guys haven't beaten us much in the last few seasons, and he's the biggest reason why.

3. Karl Malone. As great a player as he is, that dirty SOB should be hated in every NBA city.

2. John Stockton. The Shot in game 6, 1997. That would do it for me if I were a Rockets fan.

1. Larry Bird. You guys could be at 4 titles if not for this guy.

14. Holy Cow

Holy Cow Member

Top 2 beloved non-Rockets players: :)

1. John Starks
    2. Nick Anderson

:D

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Who was that guy who almost killed Barkley? Oakley I think, yeah, add him.

;)

16. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Well, allow me to retort... :D

10. A lot of people here actually liked the red and yellow uniforms, and definitely liked them more than the pajamas.

9. Matt Maloney wasn't great admittedly, but he hit some big 3's in that series to keep us in it.

8. Yeah, I suppose so. But I read "The Punch" by Feinstein, and I feel sorry for Kermit these days.

7. I have a soft spot for Mad Max, even though he quit on the 1995 Championship team. He was a big part of winning the first title.

6. 0 rings. 'Nuff said.

5. We beat him in 1995, in the big game. And he's always been very complimentary about Dream.

4. Meh. We haven't played him in a game that counts, so who's bothered? He seems like a good guy.

3. I've got your back on this one.

2. This one too.

1. Dunno about that. Those '86 Celtics were a very strong squad all around. I'm ambivalent about Larry.

#16 Bailey, Mar 24, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  17. buddry

buddry Member

My top 10:

Pick any 10 Refs at random...we can't ever beat them....

18. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Replace Patrick with David Robinson. They played in the same division and DRob often got more exposure.

19. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

LOL.

/thread

Anywhoo, in no particular order

Jeff Hornycheck - Always hit a big three on us to stick a dagger in us. Was watching one of the championship tapes and when Jeff hit a trey, the announcer was calling out, "HORNY!!! HORNY!!!"

Derrick Harper - Another notorious trey hitter

Stockton - Just for being himself

Scotty Quitten - For being a butthead

Floddy Divac - For flopping so much

Rainman and The Glove - For destroying us most of the time when they were Sonics.

20. astroagg

astroagg Member

Sam Perkins. He always shot the ball well against the Rockets- and he always looked stoned....