1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Greatest Rappers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Justchill, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Chingy

He quit the game because he was too good for it, and is now in school studying "Kinesis Sciences," which "deals with ancient teachings of Egypt. It’s a study of the universe, the stars, constellation, and zodiacs, and light, photons, and dealings with what’s within us all: chakras. To understand the Bible, you gotta understand more things."

2. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Eminem
    Slim Shady
    Boy from 8 mile
    B Rabbit
    Marshall Mathers

3. Remii

Remii Member

How can an album be influential when hardly anyone is listening to it to be influenced by it :confused: A tree can fall in the forest and make all the noise it wants but if no one is around to hear it ---> who cares. That album was a great lyrical masterpiece but he wasn't necessarily doing anything new and the production took no risk. Wu Tang had the impactful album out of NYC around that period. 36 Chambers was killing it (and killed Illmatic's record sales too).

But not once have you proved his impact... And you can't argue people's preference.

You said Rakim was a pioneer... And I was pointing out that there were many pioneers with different styles because you seem to believe rap music should be constricted to one style.

I forgot to mention the Ghetto Boys out of Houston formed in 1986 and one of their original members Raheem dropped his solo album in 1988 (which was a very good album for that era). He's like the vanilla version of Tupac in the 80's IMO. https://youtu.be/kTTjOojSKvg
    He was already rapping about artist signing messed up contracts and talking shyt about east and west coast artist.

My bad... Wrong article. In this article you actually see big name rap artist talking about him (ironically mostly NYC rap artist).
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ther-his-ties-to-beasties-roots-more-20100330

And I also mentioned other people as well. You've never seen any Dolemite movies or the Mack...??? You've never heard a pimp talk...??? A lot of them would use word play metaphors and rhyme when they would talk. That's why many people say street rapping actually came from pimps (specifically Rudy Ray Moore because he had movies). Rakim was the 1st person to get Rudy Ray Moore in a video. And most of the major pimps were from the south and midwest (like Rudy) and not NYC and Cali by the way. The south and midwest actually have more of an impact in rap music than you think.

It's hard for rappers to be influential when they were influenced themselves. And a majority of the 90's rappers weren't necessarily talking about anything that wasn't touched on by pimps, movies, musicians, and other rappers from the 80's.

Yes... I laughed because most of those critics are biased based on the east coast and during that era the east coast was prejudice with their programming and in their magazines towards other regions in the country. Rodney O and Joe Cooley said that's why they made the song F-K New York in 93 and probably why Snoop was kicking over buildings in NYC in 95. All that beef was going on before Pac and Biggie. Pimp C of UGK and many others spoke on that many times.

And isn't the Kennedy Center on the east coast... Lol.

It's been a pleasure buddy. And my apologies that my knowledge of rap music isn't as vast as yours ;)

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

ask any hiphop purist or even a casual connoisseur and they'll tell you that Illmatic is in their top influences

and its Nas.. the mastermind, spiritual flow at the time coming out of the foulmouth of a QB 20-something year old. **** is still upper echelon

1 person likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

#2 -- Del

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o0xDGXotGIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. KingCheetah

#1 -- Buckshot

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tm8rN5KFVew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. KingCheetah

Final order sorted.
    _____

#10 -- MC Solaar

#9 -- Paul Wall

#8 -- 50 Cent

#7 -- DMX

#6 -- Mos Def

#5 -- Eazy-E

#4 -- Del

#3 -- Q-Tip

#2 -- GZA

#1 -- Buckshot

8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

No Order

Biggie
    Andre with Big Boi because Outkast is one.
    Face
    Shady
    Krit
    Nas
    Rakim
    Lisa
    Luda
    Cole.

Listen to War with God with luda and tell me that isn't a great song.

My favorite is Krit. Besides Outkast which is my favorite Music group, Krit is my favorite. Five albums with every song written and produced besides one by himself is amazing. And his music hits me spiritual and lead me to following my dreams in terms of career.

9. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Z-Ro
    2pac
    Scarface
    Eazy E
    Curren$y

10. nickb492

I'm not going make fun but Easy E is not a rapper. If you put Ice cube then you are ok.

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

My Top 10

1. 2Pac
    2. Bone Thugs
    3. Eminem
    4. Devin the Dude
    5. Jay Z
    6. Geto Boys + Scarface solo
    7. Kanye
    8. Biggie
    9. Z-Ro
    10. Snoop Doggy Dog (doggystyle was the first rap album i ever bought)

Bench: Scarface, Z-Ro, Biggie, Snoop Doggy Dog

12. Remii

Remii Member

Well you can consider me a purist or a casual connoisseur and I don't. And if you notice the people who posted after you don't even have Nas on their list.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Silly, IMO. Who can tell stories and connect knowledge with content and pedigree/background of Nas?

I can't even fully describe the "it" factor that makes Nas what he is bc words wouldn't do it justice. And that others fail to see it is pretty lame

14. StraightG

StraightG Member

No beef, but who is Lisa?

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I bet if you ran statistics many of the people who don't get Nas love drake

16. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

nope, i dont care for drake
    although i like nas a lot i dont consider illmatic to be above a lot of albums

17. Remii

Remii Member

K-Rino out of Houston... He makes dudes look like Disney World characters.

Immortal Technique out of NY...

I posted links on page 4.

It's all preference dude.

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

If you can like k-rino and immortal, the latter who I've listened to and like... then nas is on the same platform.. makes no sense still

19. nickb492

Damn autocorrect. Suppose to say Luda. I thought I deleted it and just counted it so the last one Kanye. But I don't know if he wrote his lyrics. If he wrote his lyrics on College Dropout then I'll count him still as one of the best.

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

6 pages and not one person had Ja-Rule or Fat Joe on their list. SMH