1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10-15 players thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Kojirou, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

5X5=25, not 30. And yeah, wekko is right. They aren't in my top 15, but I think you can definitely argue Moses and Bob Pettit as a top 15 player, and maybe even Wade and the Admiral.

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Ah, understood. It is a faulty scheme.
    Christ, this is hard.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

KG is a little too high on some of these lists. I might even have Dirk ahead of him

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Don't like that strategy. Moses (as mentioned before) should be top 15.
    If we were making a top 30 list, than there would be a bunch of other great names missing.

Re specific lists -- don't like the PG list. If we are talking greatness, Cousy should be on the list. He essentially created the position. Isiah, Frazier and Nash would have a strong case over some of these guys.

SG - Wade, as mentioned before.

SF - not sure about Havlicek/Pippen. I also have them on my top 5 SF list. But Elgin Baylor and Rick Barry definitely have very strong cases too.

Btw, since we are talking "greatest" and legacies, wouldn't Mikan have a case to be very high?

5. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

If Oscar isnt in your top 15 you dont know basketball

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I love your list, it's damn near perfect. I probably wouldn't have put Reggie Miller in the top 5, though, especially when you have the likes of Dwyane Wade, Pete Maravich, Mitch Richmond, Vince Carter, George Gervin, Ginobili, and Tracy McGrady

I know people put alot of stock into playoff heroics, though as Miller's strength most fell into the scoring, I think all of the players above were much better scorers, while also being more versatile players. Of all of the shooting guards, Miller ranks to the lower portion of the group in terms of player efficiency. I'd also say he was probably the worst defender of that group. Gervin ranks 32nd (NBA) and 40th (NBA/ABA); Wade is 7th of all time (NBA); McGrady is 28th all time; Ginobili sits at 34th and 35th (NBA and NBA/ABA); Carter actively is at about 56th and 58th; andMaravich stands at 113th and 120th. The only one Miller ranks ahead of is Richmond, I honestly believed that Richmond was a better individual player than Miller who had the misfortunes of playing for a bad team with a revolving door of coaches.

SF, I know alot of people think highly of Pippen's versatility, but I do not think I would take him over Rick Barry, Dominique Wilkins, Elgin Baylor, Alex English, or even an emerging Kevin Durant without question. I'll even throw in Carmelo Anthony. The other four are somewhat more cemented -- Bird, LeBron, Havlicek, and Dr. J. Pippen is the odd guy out for me, because he is the one that does not within that group. Pippen was the ultimate sidekick, but carrying a team was not something he could do long term. I feel like a team could not win a title with Pippen as their best player, even in the right situation. Barry won a title on a team as the best player against a superior opponent, I feel like Wilkins would've fared much better, if he did not come along with the ranks of the Bird-led Celtics or the Pistons. If placed on a team, like say the Trailblazers, Suns, or Pacers, he would've broken through at least once.

Kevin Durant is a head and shoulder better than Pippen, outside of defensive ability (which I think Durant is becoming very good at) and facilitating. Better shooter, better scorer, more clutch, better free throw shooter, and better intangibles.

You also have to take into consideration that these other players were more focal points for defenses than Pippen was in Chicago, yet Pippen's efficiency, especially in shooting and scoring is not much better or in fact worst than players who starred as their team's main offensive catalyst versus being a sidekick next to a player who was possibly the greatest scorer of all time, also being supported by a very efficient offense.

In PER, Pippen only ranks around respectively 116th and 120th, you also have to consider the fact that there are many other players who were considered sidekicks or side pieces for most of the careers with better individual numbers in terms of scoring, assists, shooting percentage, rebounds, and even throw in defensive ability.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I cannot rep you, anymore. Sorry.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

You're absolutely right. When we're talking about the biggest, most pressure-filled situation, say Game 7 of the NBA Finals, I want the guy with the strong will and mental fortitude to shoot 6-24 and draw John Starks comparisons over the guy who will give you a pedestrian 37/12/4 on 12-23 shooting.

1 person likes this.