1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Too conservative.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dankstronaut, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

in all decisions. From GM to 3rd down to roofs to QB.

It's thoughtless. It's gutless. It's heartless. All the things football teams ARE NOT. Good teams are cerebral, gritty and emotional. I honestly don't know how they've pulled 6 rabbits outta the hat this year lacking these qualities.

I'm disgusted. It's not even fun when they win anymore because they back into wins. They barely beat weak teams or get favorable calls from the ref (chiefs). They play in a weak conference so they get to hang banners and raise season tickets price but we're not fooled. Where is the accountability?

I'm compelled by some I'll advised sense of duty to continue watching and it just sinks into me how conservative they are. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Yuck.

Yaosthirdleg and deb4rockets like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

You're shocked a billionaire from South Carolina who was one of Trump's largest donors (and who also funded the anti-LGBT ordinance in Houston) is just a bit conservative in other aspects of his life? This is news?

Richie_Rich likes this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Seems to be working for him personally....bought a team that what, tripled in value? Funded two campaigns that ended favorably? What a prick, I didn't know he was on the anti-gay train...

But I was talking about football decisions. I mean, conservative options should be a decision not a standard operating procedure...

4. Mr. Space City

The Texans purposefully don't draft "gritty and emotional" players because it doesn't fit the "image".

That's why the Texans continue to be mentally weak.

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I would love, just for once, for the team and specifically McNair to be more proactive and aggressive and say, you know what, this team as constructed is not trending upward and move on from Brock and O'Brien and possibly even Smith. Just for once, I'd love to see them go after a player who could really impact the team, even if he comes with some character issues. Not gonna happen, but it'd be nice to see some balls for once. This whole organization lacks them.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

How do you move on from Brock, though?

Can't trade him, because no one wants that contract. Can't cut / waive him (right?) because you're still paying him money regardless. Benching him would destroy any small amount of confidence he has left, so there's ever a need to call his number again, he's going to play small.

7. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I don't buy it. I don't think a lack of felons is the problem. I think a lack of identity as a team is a problem and when it comes to building one they do all they can to not use it. They built a crazy defense, specifically front 7. They stop the run ok but are they some ultra aggressive, blitzing, feared defense? Absolutely not and that INCLUDES a healthy JJ.

They built an offense that should be bombing it away downfield and using Hopkins and a speedy running back to keep the chains moving. Do they do any of that? Absolutely not. WHY?!?!

They hired a QB whisperer named teapot. Are his QBs amazing? Absolutely not. And he was made to apologize when he rightfully ripped the special teams coach on the sidelines. Ridiculous.

They brought his buddy to help run the New England offense. Have they developed ANYTHING that resembles New England? Absolutely not. Hell, they can barely score twice in the same game.

Do they try to change? No. they run the same staff, the same players and same plays out there every week and it continues to not work that well.

They ARE mentally weak. But I don't think it's a problem with not having enough bad people on the team.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Nah, just to be clear, I wasn't really talking about being politically conservative, but philosophically conservative. Change at a glacial pace is the type of change he's comfortable with. It's apparent in his personal and business life, why should his management of his football team be any different? He's not a risk-taker, he's a "wait and see, stay the course" type. In business there's nothing wrong with that at all, in pro sports, well....

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hard to be aggressive when your QB is an atrocity

10. JunkyardDwg

I'm not saying the team should go and get Ray Rice and all their problems are solved. It in itself may be a minor issue at best, but it may perhaps limit their ability to construct the best roster possible at times. And it does reflect the organization's conservative and soft nature, which seems to permeate throughout the team and onto the field. That's the much bigger issue of course, and fixing it starts at the very top.

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Even harder to score when you hamstring him with playcalls and browbeating.

It's a low bar to ask for an honest effort but at this point that's what's I'm doing. I don't care if Brock throws 5 picks, I want to see them chucking it down the field almost just for the hell of it. Just because.

You know, kubiak had a system and drafted guys that fit it to a T. Say what you will but before the wheels fell off they did exactly what they wanted to, exactly what they were designed to do.

What are they trying to do here? No identity.

They have a Swiss Army knife WR who made a name on turning 50/50 balls into catches. Now it's like he doesn't know what route to run and is dropping passes. They drafted the fastest man in the draft and practically never use his speed to put fear in the defense. They drafted an incredible, multi talented athlete that could easily fit the "X factor" mold and barely use him out of the slot. hired an outside zone runner and put him behind a power blocking OL that isn't really powerful. Hired a tall, big armed QB and turned him into a chicken **** checkdown charlie.

These guys are so conservative that they can't even use the players they bring in to do what they brought me in to do?

McNair might be a political, economical and social glacier but if that's permeated all the way down to throwing 5 yard out on 3rd and 8????

Well...then I guess it's time for me to disengage. It killed me to take my Astros fandom and put it in a box but that team earned their way to hundred loss seasons and a couple thousand fans showing up. they've been doing much better for a few years and I still can't bring myself to root for them.

12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Maybe the Cowboys coming and winning a super bowl on our home turf will be the final nail for Bob to start making some more aggressive changes. I HOPE that's not what happens but maybe it will be the foot in the ass that our front office needs.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

lol
    The team had a horrible defense so in 2011 they went after Wade Philips (the best def coordinator available then), Jonathan Joseph (was the 2nd most sought after FA CB), Danieal Manning (top safety and kick returner).
    Since then, they've signed Ed Reed (a HOF gamble).
    They have one of the best 1st round draft history of any current team
    They got the highest rated available head coach in O'Brien.
    Went after the highest regarded free agent QB available in Brock.
    The coach said he needed speed so they signed Lamar Miller (best and fastest available RB) and drafted Will Fuller (fastest WR in draft) and Braxton Miller (most versatile in the draft).

I don't understand how people can still say this team isn't trying or isn't aggressive in acquiring new personnel.

14. Buck Turgidson

Which QB?

15. JunkyardDwg

I get that they do take risks. And yeah they went and retooled the offense this off season. But somehow they're playing worse than ever. They can make decent moves, even great ones, but for me personally, I just feel the organization has never had that killer instinct that separate the average to good teams from the elite. If we do miss the playoffs, what's McNair gonna do? Probably blame the season on injuries and give O'Brien an extension. What should he do? Hold people accountable.

16. OpportunityCost

I wish there was more diversity in the play-calling.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

It has absolutely been frustrating. Though my expectations weren't as high as soon as Watt was done. I just don't get posters that say Bob Mcnair doesn't want to win. The dude was willing to pay $72 million on an unproven QB in hopes that it would pay off. It didn't. They've made some bad choices, most notably at the QB position. But everything we know about this franchise is that they are trying to improve.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Maybe OB should hire a professional OC and turn the offense over like he's done with defense and special teams. It's not just our play calling, which sucks, but also our lack of imagination. We have weapons, but we don't use them right. I can't remember the last time we threw a slant. Seems Hop could probably catch a couple of those a game with his ability to get free off the line. This is depressing.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

But look what they do to the guys they need so bad once they're here.

Wade, good enough to be your vaunted DC...not even a sniff as head ball coach.
    Ed Reed was a terrible signing, probably should've left that one off.
    One of the worst 2-7 rounds track record...
    OBrien the QB whisperer has the literal worst starting QB
    Throwing money at Brackup because you won't buy into a rookie.
    Treat Lamar like a power back, never bomb it to fuller, didn't use Braxton's versatility at freaking all.

Getting guys is one thing. Unleashing them is another.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah but do you blame all of that on ownership? Year after year they are shelling out money trying to get better. If your argument is that they have made poor decisions, I'm not against that. But if you are saying ownership is not willing to bring guys in to make the team better, that's what I just don't understand.

BTW
    There is a reason that no teams wanted Wade as a head coach. Not a Texans thing, it's a Wade thing.
    Yes, obviously a terrible signing but even without the injuries; Reed was a personality risk. Just the type of outspoken player, people claim the Texans shy away from.
    You would be surprised when you start stacking the draft classes side by side.
    Everyone was on the QB whisperer band wagon last year when he made the playoffs with Hoyer and TJ Yates
    Most rookie QBs (with some notable exceptions) need time to develop, the Texans want to win sooner rather than later. So they pulled the plug on the best available free agent.
    Never bomb it to Fuller? Don't use Braxton's versatility? Have you been watching the games? I agree about Lamar but I've resolved that they prefer RBs like Lamar and Arian.