1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Wroten

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Painting_Shade, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

This guy is flying under the radar. Big point guard, measured 6'6.5" at the Deron Williams camp a few months ago, playing off guard at UW though. High ceiling with supreme passing ability, but takes too many risks and is inconsistent.

If we pick 8-12 I would hope he falls to us.

2. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

come draft time, i think he could leap alot of people and go in the 6-8 range. If i recall, Kentucky,Louisville, and Syracuse wanted this guy but he declined them for some reason.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Actually UK declined him. He sent out at tweet asking Coach Cal why did he stop recruiting him.

Wroten is very talented though. At the beginning of the season he had a lot of turnovers but I'm not sure what it is a this point. He probably would have been the number 1 pg in his class if he didn't tear his ACL his junior year playing football.

4. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

Espn actually has Wroten as their top pg in the 2012 draft.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

I meant coming out of HS. I think he was like the 3rd or 4th pg.

Where did they have him overall on ESPN? Can you post the link?

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bySoJ1F5lXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Tony Wroten with the game winning block at the end tonight.

8. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

A more athletic Rodney Stuckey with court vision and defense.

9. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

From the highlights and what I read about him, I think he could be a nice fit for the Rockets. Maybe could take over for Lowry 2-4 years from now. He is creative and is a BIG PG. He does remind me of Tyreke Evans like so many have mentioned but is not a black hole. If the Rockets have the 15th-20th pick via Knicks they should get him. Don't see anybody else outside the lottery that is as enticing to get.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Well he better learn to play the point in the NBA, because I don't want no 2guard who shoots 20% from 3pt range. The thing to like about this kid is that he's almost averaging 4 assists a game playing off the ball, and his defense is outstanding. There's every reason to believe that he can develop into a penitrating PG with great cout vision and lock-down defense. He's a late lotto pick IMHO.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Wroten is very interesting.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder If he will ever have a 1-1 assist to turnover ratio...

:confused:

13. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Didn't intend to bump, but looking at the MOCK from espn in the other thread, I think Wroten would be ideal for Houston, which means he's going to get picked before we get a chance. Knowing we can't hold Lowry and Dragic at the same time, we'll need to draft a PG, and having one with size and driving/scoring ability sounds great - knowing he's a bad outside shooter kinda seals it for the Rockets as that is a prototypical characteristic for our PG.

Even with his size, and if we cannot retain Courtney Lee, I think Wroten also fits that back up position with his slashing ability. But who has ever heard of a SG who couldn't shoot. He would definitely get some playing time in the D-League if we didn't use him as a PG.

I wouldn't want to use our first draft pick on him, unless we have to reach for him, but I'm not sure he's a player that should be reached for, in comparison to other talent in the draft, but he is one of the few PGs. But Morey is going to draft for Best Available, so it's a tossup. I feel that Morey will try to condolidate first rounders and try to move up, or packages our first rounders in draft day trades for a Superstar.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Wroten would certainly work well if he could be drafted with the Mav's pick. To me his style of play resembles Parsons. Maybe he and Parsons could work on shooting together over the summer. But I have only seen some clips and box scores on him.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

chad fords mock has him at the bottom of the first round

so feasibly we would get him with all of our potential draft picks lol

CK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Atlanta

Tony Wroten Jr.

Position: PG
    Height: 6-foot-5
    Weight: 205 pounds
    School: Washington
    Analysis: The Hawks have been searching for their point guard of the future for a long time. Jeff Teague has been solid, but he doesn't have nearly the upside that Wroten has. If Wroten had a better reputation (and a better jump shot) he might be a top-five pick. Some scouts see him as another Gary Payton, but he's wild and can get out of control, and that may scare the Hawks away.

16. ironariza

ironariza Member

this guy is really 6‘7。
    I think he can play PG, SG, and SF, so he could be a nice fit for the Rockets and the other teams.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He's projected to be a mid to low 20s pick.

18. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

If Lowry and/or Dragic goes...Wroten is a must! He could potentially be able to play 3 positions in the NBA. We will see what his stock is like come NBA Combine time.

19. albuster

albuster Member

A Pippen-like player. If only someone can mentor him like MJ did to Scottie he would be an interesting player.

20. albuster

albuster Member

"Pippen-like" as in a three position player who thrived whichever position he was in when needed.