1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Romo retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

So was the Astros playoff experience meaningless two years ago? What about the Rockets? Everyone knew it was the Warriors or Spurs out of the west. Does that make their last two playoffs appearances meaningless? Just asking...you know, for a friend.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Pretty much. The goal of playing is winning championships and getting to the playoffs a bunch of times doesn't give you some magical wisdom that gets you a ring. If that were the case then the Jazz, the Bills and even the Rangers would have championships because of it but guess what? I MEANS NOTHING.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

So, the Texans, Rockets, and Astros have equally been trash since the Texans came to Houston.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Widely known by whom?... And you make it sound as if projections have any tangible reality: they really don't. If Keuchel proves 2016 wasn't a fluke; if McCullers again can't stay healthy.... how "close" are the Astros to being in the World Series?

Yeah, sure the Astros didn't make the playoffs last year and lost 416 games the four years prior to 2015 BUT.... come on, they've been better than the Texans.......

That's nothing more than bias-affirming bullshit. You can discredit the Texans' division championships and playoff victories all you want - but no matter the degree of their legitimacy, there's no way finishing third behind the Seattle Mariners last year can be viewed as better than winning your division and a playoff game. That's just silly nonsense.

Nimo likes this.
  5. texans1095

texans1095 Member

The Astros were a fluke inning away from the ALCS. The Texans were never that close to beating the Patriots. So yes, the Astros had a much more meaningful playoff experience than the Texans last year. The Rockets in 2015 had an extremely meaningful playoff experience but I assume though that you were talking about the Rockets of 2016.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

We're arguing two different things. I agree with you that the past 5 season, the Texans have had more success when you look at records and playoff appearances. I am arguing that they are in two completely different situations as far as their trajectories. And I don't think that's far fetched at all. While I don't think it's overly impressive to win the AFC South the past two seasons, I will acknowledge that it shows at least some level of success for the franchise.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

How do you define meaningful? The Astros were a fluke away from getting past the first round of playoffs while the Texans DID get past the first round. The Rockets needed a miracle and a choke-job by the Clippers to get past the second round on to face a Warriors team who they had no chance of beating. I'm not saying it was meaningless or meaningful; I just don't understand by what metric you are using to measure. All the teams got into the playoffs and didn't really have a chance to win the ultimate prize. This season has been great for the Rockets yet no one gives them a chance to make it to the Finals.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was kind of surprised he went the retirement way. I thought he would give it one more shot. I guess the realization that there isn't enough protection in the world for him back there as QB and another injury was very likely meaning more rehab but then likely being forced to retire anyway. It does seem a bit futile. I guess there would have been a small chance he made it unscathed through a full season but we'll never know now. I really did want to see Romo play again in Houston as the first option.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I didn't even remember the Astros weren't in the playoffs last season. Nobody remembers winning in the playoffs unless you get to the Finals, Super Bowl or World Series.

Remember when the knock on the Rockets was "20 years since being in a WCF"? You're gonna tell me those 20 years were successful?

10. Hey Now!

No, LOL - *you're* arguing a different thing; I've always been arguing that the Texans' most recent track record was better than the Astros' and at least on par (but probably better) than the Rockets'. @Mr. Clutch tried to turn this into a discussion about "trajectories" because he either didn't want to admit the Texans' have been better or he doesn't understand what a track record is. Either way, this was always about who's been better since 2011.

If you want to talk about moving forward... sure. I think the Astros have an exciting future - but I think the Texans do, too - IF they can find a competent QB. I was REALLY excited about the Texans when I thought Tony Romo was on the table. And I'd actually rank both ahead of the Rockets, only because I'm skeptical that what they're doing this year is sustainable. We'll see

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think the point/argument is that it is just as (un)successful as the Texans.

12. Hey Now!

I'm not really sure the point you're making... And that really wasn't the narrative those 17 years between WCF appearances, anyway - it was the Rockets' inability to get out of the first round of the playoffs, which they failed to do 16 times over that stretch.

I know there's no 1:1 comparison between the two sports but the Texans have been out of the first round of their respective postseason three times just in the last six years.

13. liveguy

liveguy Member

He wasn't a free agent...so naw.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, YOU keep making it about track records defined very narrowly.

My whole point is that the Rockets and Astros have better front offices, and that the Texans have basically been treading water or getting worse since the 2 years we were considered actual contenders.

Again, the Texans haven't been contenders since Schaub was healthy with Arian and Andre (2012). The Rockets were contenders 2 years ago and this year. The Astros were contenders last year and are again this year.

And looking forward, Vegas clearly rates one franchise as bottom half and the other two as top10.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What makes you think the Texans can find a QB though?

We're into O'Brien's fourth year and the QB play has gotten progressively worse every year.

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Oilers played in Houston for about 40 years and never advanced to the superbowl

They move to Tennessee and make the superbowl within 2 years.

Like I said before, Houston football is cursed.

Fulgore likes this.
  17. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

That just eliminated the Texans super bowl hopes. Sad sad sad that the front office would t at least trade a 7th round pick for him ????

:(:confused::eek:o_O

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you'd feel better if the Texans had traded for a guy that is retiring?

19. BHannes2BHonest

Only competent QBs available aren't better than Savage ... smh

Cutler - doesn't care - terrible leader- in t for the paycheck

Kaepernick - doesn't fit this offense and does not have the arm he used to have.

Draft a qb? None to make an immediate impact even though I like Watson as a development project.

Another wasted year

20. BHannes2BHonest

Romo only had two options @Bobbythegreat.

1. Wait until training camp to be a cowboys backup
    2. Take the CBS job

He did not want to retire. He even mentioned playing again for the cowboys if DAK got hurt