1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Parker better than SF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by runninhorns, May 3, 2004.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

What makes you think Parker couldn't average 20pts a game for a season while shoting 38-40 % from the field? If he were the focal offensive threat with the team the Rocket's currently have?
    All he wouldn't be able to do that Francis does, is uhm, do boneheaded plays, like driving it in with a high leaping vertical mindlessly no matter if it works or doesn't work.
    Oh yeah and rebound as much as Francis does.

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

And Rocketmanjosh, did you miss out on these facts crossover pointed out? If you didn't, how can you still say Francis is a better "baller". Unless, by "better baller", you meant, more exciting, flashy and can dribble a 100 times, inbetween legs, crossover and then drive with a great verticle?

3. big11

big11 Contributing Member

Sure. We should stop all the 'trade Steve' talk immediately. We just need to wait 'til Yao gets better in a year or two. I can't wait to see Steve and Yao win their first Championship together.

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Now that is refreshing. Good post!

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

A year or two for Yao, is a year or two for Steve aswell, that would make it his 8th season. I doubt he's trade value will be as high then. He throws his body around so recklessly, the average player only plays up to 13 seasons, and the way he throws his body around, I'd say he won't have a long lasting NBA career.

And with Yao being so hesitant and unsure of himself to be a leader, and Steve lacking so much brain and having so much reckless heart, it'll take atleast 4 seasons for these two to i dunno "mesh" well, if they can. So you want to wait till Yao's in his 6th season and Steve's on his 12th season, to see if they'll win a championship together or if we finally do need to trade Steve or even Yao?

6. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

I bet your "talent and skill" don't include decison making, court vision, and shooting jumper.

7. striker

striker Member

You forgot brain. Parker has one.

8. sup123

sup123 Member

sf better talent; but at playing the PG Tony parker is better.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We'll never be able to compare the two until Francis gets the chance to play with a dominant post player ......

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have counted your names - people who can not admit Parker is better.

You are only hurting yourselves. Humility is the way of enlightenment. Stay Humble, Stay Hungry. Parker is light years ahead.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Since the Lakers don't double team the Rockets or the Spurs, the comparison of what they do against Payton and Fisher is a decent one. And it's what I'd expect...high points and assists for both...more TO's and fewer fastbreak points with Francis.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I was just kidding about that really.

Different teams, different players, different results. :(

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

After the first Game , when Steve refuses to pass the ball, when Duncan was in position, Duncan takes Steve aside, pins him to the wall and tells him in a firm sort of way 'never do that again'. The next day Steve asks the General Manager for a Trade.

14. sup123

sup123 Member

allright lets settle this, duncan missed about 10 games, someone should pull up the stats of Tony parker during those games. So we can put an end to this that tony parker is only good cause of ducan. Hope no one proves me wrong, ill take a chance.

15. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

A "basketball player" plays the complete game. And he's able to run his own position even better. That being said, Parker is a better "basketball player" and a better "point guard" than Francis.

Francis is neither PG, nor SG, nor hybrid guard.

What Francis IS better at, compared to Parker, is that he's faster, jumps higher, dunks and rebounds better. That's about it.

Oh, and Parker is 21, and Francis is 27.

Parker has been schooling Payton since his rookie year by himself. This is irrespective of Tim Duncan presence. Now, if you want to talk about a championship caliber TEAM. That's mostly due to Duncan. That's obvious. But independently, Parker is better than Francis on so many counts.

Don't believe me? Watch Parker when Duncan is on the bench. Parker *runs* the offense in more ways than just scoring.

#35 DavidS, May 3, 2004
    Last edited: May 3, 2004
  16. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Only two choices for "carrying a team?"

If you gave me only those two choices for "carrying a team" I'd go with neither. But as a starting PG, I'd take Parker and bring in someone like Garnett.

Same with Sam Cassell. He's a better PG than Francis. But that doesn't mean that I would try and build a team *around* Cassell.

#36 DavidS, May 3, 2004
    Last edited: May 3, 2004
  17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The Spurs were making strong runs at the Lakers with Duncan on the bench.

And they were doing it with Parker, who was running PNRs to perfection, using strong passing, finding the open man and driving the lane with speed, precision and (generally) smart decisions.

It's hard for me to say that Paker is better than Francis...

...but damn, he sure looked awesome out there.

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

Tis called being biased.

:)

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

this is true
    I think Steve only played 1 or 2 yrs of high school ball
    hhmmm .. .what high school did parker go to? Did he even graduate? Do we know?

Did he deal with no pass no play
    Did he deal with a having LIMITED practice time because of
    various laws and ordinances?

and all of that. . he still is not better than Francis IMO

Rocket River

20. Summer Song Giver

I don''t know who is better, Steve or TP, who cares, maybe it is TP. All I know is SF3 would be better if he played with TD, anyone care to argue that one?