1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toney Douglas, the new Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 15, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

On the surface, Douglas looks very unassuming. 8.1ppg/1.5rpg/1.9apg/53TS% in 19mpg. Basically he's good at hitting the 3s and very little else. But the team has performed MUCH BETTER with him than without him.

The Rockets sport a +4.1 points/100 possessions with him. A -2.3 points/100 possessions without him. For a total of +6.4. Well, you argue he plays against backups? But he also plays WITH backups, like Delfino instead of Parsons, Greg Smith instead of Asik. Individually, Douglas opposing PG(through 12/9 since that's the last time 82games updated) a paltry 10.6 PER, which, well, Toney Douglas territory. Basically, he's dragged down his opposition to his level of offensive ineptitude. Oh, and he's not playing against just scrubs either, as I believe there are gazillion posts complaining about leaving Lin on the bench way too much.

Toney Douglas is the no-stat all-star. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. nono

nono Member

Almost as worthless a player as you are a poster.

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think there is a problem with the stats. Lin plays better D than Douglas and the offense runs better while Lin is in the game.

4. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

LOF alert. Toney has been playing very well recently. I think he's one of our unsung heroes, but he'll always be hated as long as he plays, since the time he's on the court is valuable Lin time. The two PGs we have are great. Each has their own skillset, and we can deploy them when certain situations present themselves. Both Lin and TD contribute to this team.

5. Dei

Dei Member

Good job, OP, good job.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't understand why there's a problem with the stat. It's not biased. The Rockets score much more with him on the court. Opponents score roughly the same with or without him. This isn't an opinion. This has happened for the first 22 games.

7. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

Can we just not allow accounts made in 2012 to post ? seems like a good idea to me

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Maybe I'm over valuing Shane, but I don't see it in TD.

9. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I'm not pretending that I know what the problem is, I have no problem with Douglas I kind of like him. I'm just saying after watching every game I can say that for the most part Lin plays better D and that the offense runs better with him on the floor. There could be other factors that are making the stats this way that we aren't noticing.

Do you agree that Lin plays better D than Douglas for the most part and that the offense runs better when he is on the floor?

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Neither do I. But so far you have to say he's done his best Shane Battier impression. Down to the fact that his only offense is his 3 pointer. If he keeps this up, this would be less of a joke thread.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Toney has had a few good games lately. Much better than the abomination he was early in the season and last year. Has played like a good backup SG lately.

12. joesr

joesr Member

I think you called it there, Delfino in the game. Also Smith has been getting better. so I think the better option would be to say no-stat all-star back upS

hint the plural upS

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I watch basketball for entertainment, not as a scout. Can I breakdown exactly their contributions on defense has been? I can't, and I won't even bother guessing. But the Rockets coaching staff certainly has an opinion. But that opinion is apparently not shared by much of this board.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, it seems like you are correct. Delfino with a ridiculous +14.7 and Smith with +7.8. I only looked up Douglas because I found it surprising both Sampson and McHale have consistently kept Douglas during crunch time. So I figured maybe there's something missing here.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK, a lighthearted thread. The coaches see TD/Lin through the same eyes that you do. And the youngest team in the league, with little talent besides Harden, Parsons and Asik, is 11-11. Things could be much much worse.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Toney Douglas is the white Ryan Bowen with a 3 pt shot

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213HOU2.HTM

18. QazQay

QazQay Member

The team plays so much better with him because most of the time he is playing Lin is not. Lin sucks. He can't shoot, he can't defend, and he can't score.

19. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

Yeah, the player who scored the most points in NBA history can't score.:rolleyes:

20. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

fixed