1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Thibodeau

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TECH, Feb 28, 2006.

1. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Not much is mentioned here of good 'ol Tom Thibodeau, but he's been mentioned by Bill Worrell in the last 2 games. Bill's been saying that Tom has been working with Yao very closely on a lot of his moves, and footwork. They work, I guess play each other one-on-one at full game speed, so says Worrell, and they think it's made a big improvement on Yao's moves, mentioning that he's got some deliberate go-to moves.

Now, this is all good, but there's one thing I couldn't help but think...

...not one word mentioned about Patrick Ewing. All I've heard mentioned of him, is that he jumped out of the way of Yao, instead of catch him, as he came barreling into the seats right at Ewing.
    I'm not saying that I hate Ewing or anything, but why is there no mention of anything at all about what he does? Is he a grump towards the media? Is he a personality that Yao can learn from? Do the players give a flip about him?

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bill Worrell mentioned Ewing right after he started talking about Tom Thibodeau working with Yao. He added that Ewing works with Yao as well and that they're both doing a great job.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I mentioned this in another post, that anytime I saw a picture of a coach with Yao it was Thibodeau. I wondered what if anything Ewing was teaching Yao.

4. Skip To My Loom

I get the feeling Ewing is just an useless affirmative action hire. :D

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You are a jackass.

So any person that is black but isn't doing a good job is an "affirmative action hire?" I'm sure everybody doesn't think you are perfect at work. What does that make you?

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Think he was kidding.

BUt I am soooooo going to use that line at work when I see slackers.

7. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I don't think he is serious. But I wouldn't like the joke either if I were black. And the joke is not funny at all.

8. GrapeJuices

GrapeJuices Contributing Member

What if he was black making a joke on black people. Then it's all funny and dandy right?

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

No, still not funny. The joke sucked, really, regardless of any perceived slight to blacks. Glad I could clear that up.

I figure Ewing is around because he wants to be a head coach someday and Van Gundy has agreed to mentor him. Basically, I assume his job amounts to closely observing JVG and following orders. Like I posted in an earlier thread, I don't think you can underestimate the value of adding a Hall of Famer to your team's culture. Nobody thought Ewing would be worth two ****s on offense when he came into the league but through hard work he became a great player. That's a good guy for your rookies to be able to look up to, a living example who's around them day in and day out.

I DON'T think he was hired simply to work with Yao.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think one of the posters here believes (he's not joking) that white NBA players sitting at the end of the bench are affirmative action hiring, in reverse.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I wonder why whenever Yao isn't playing well, a whole boatload of threads don't appear that say "FIRE TOM THIBODEAUX WE NEED TO HIRE HAKEEM" - yet "FIRE EWING HE'S A TERRIBLE COACH I JUST KNOW IT" threads/posts pop up every 10 seconds.

Strange, really -- quite strange.

12. user

user Member

OK, I am wondering what Tom was doing all these years until 2 weeks ago. It's not like Yao arrived 1 month ago.

13. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Are you saying Dave Chappelle is posting here? :p

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

So you want an old guy like Ewing to break his hip instead?

15. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

Just a hypotheses that based on JVG's statement in the past: How Tom will make a great head coach, but not getting a chance or call when vacancy becomes available....

Is JVG ready to rest for a while so taht Tom can take over?

Don't flame me.. the though just came to me as I read through this..

16. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Uhh, I wouldn't use that line at work, probably will get yourself fired. Just some words of advice.

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Skip to my loon:

"I get the feeling Ewing is just an useless affirmative action hire. "

This is not funny, in poor taste, and is hurtful to others. Any one of these 3 things is reason not to post this statement. You have all 3.

I do not care about Ewing, but leave the other hurtful stuff off your post. This makes the board appear bad. It reflects badly on all of us posting here.I do not agree with this sentiment in your post.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No, I think he's trying to get his man a head coaching interview somewhere like any good friend/colleague would do.

19. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Did you happen to see the instance I was referring to? Ewing could have made an attempt to grab Yao in some way, shape or form. He does it plenty at the clubs, supposedly.

20. Skip To My Loom

sorry guys. I'm back to lurking mode from now on :)