1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Thibodeau & McHale spent 20+ minutes talking strategy... (UPDATED: Video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Oct 2, 2015.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This. Spot on. IMO hiring Thibs would be just as big of a pickup as Ty Lawson.

2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I think this is one of the reasons why McHale is our head coach and ambassador/leader for this team.

Obviously he and Morey get along well and he is open to whatever/wherever Morey decides to take this team (Probably the biggest reason why Adelman is let go in favor of McHale).

He is an old school player that understands that the game is constantly changing (more perimeter play, value in 3 point shots, importance of versatile line-ups, etc.) but still holds the core aspects of the game important (playing inside - out, letting your players play the game instead of over-coaching them, playing fast, etc.). I think he has been very underrated as a coach who gets the most out of his players and understands how to control egos.

But of the most important things is that he is generally so well liked around the league. Players, coaches, former players, etc. all seem to like and respect him. Who would have thought that No-Smile-Ever Thibs would be laughing it up?

McHale is the perfect ambassador for this team, and unless we can get have Pop, or maybe Doc Rivers (the coach not the GM), and even Carlisle, he is a great coach for this team, specifically.

1 person likes this.
  3. pippsux

pippsux Member

defensive coordinator?

What he said!

4. MtthwPnngbtn

MtthwPnngbtn Member

Thibs to houston? Hmm. Hmmmm.. HMMMMM... lol idk.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL so what? Thibs isn't Kerr and his coaching staff, he's an old school tough coach who'll get you immediate results in the short term and then you fire him in 2-3 years after he ran your star players into the ground and you have nothing left :rolleyes:

Wearing out your players doesn't just mean giving them excessive PT, it's also related to having a tough grind it out mentality and then putting people through death practices. Since Thibs is inept at offenses he tries to make it up by having even more intense defense and a strict offensive preparation, as a result the players can end up having a workload 2-3x heavier than actual games (recommended intensity is only 50-70% of actual game time during practice). Tmac and Yao Ming were healthy as oxen before JVG and Thibs arrived, and then after 1 season both of them started disintegrating like glass.

I don't really get the hero worship he gets on this board, what exactly has Thibs' Bulls accomplished, other than D Rose becoming injury prone after a college career without a single issue, Deng being a shadow of his former self on what should still theoretically be his prime years and Noah becoming worn out and losing that fire and energy which made him so effective? At least JVG was able to reach the 4rth best record with Tmac, injury prone Yao Ming, and then a bunch of NY rejects. The Bulls were seen as perennial contenders on paper during the Thibs age but didn't really produce anything of note other than generating hype preseason and then getting in the playoffs in a weak conference.

6. Nook

Nook Member

First, very unlikely Thibs would do that to McHale. He is a huge believer in the coach fraternity. If he takes a job (he will probably next year), it will be clean after the existing coach is fired.

Second, Thibs and Morey would have gotten along fine 4-5 years ago. The problem is that his experience in Chicago with their front office soured him. He is going to go Tia situation where he has more power than the GM. He wants to be able to have ultimate input over the roster.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Mchale showing Thibs, his coaching prowess...
    [​IMG]

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

All I know is I trust Morey infinitely more than some nobody poster on this board. If they think it's a good higher, then I am on board. If they decide he's not, then I will accept that as the better decision as well. Anyone can speculate and anyone can argue in hindsight, but Morey is way smarter and more connected to the intricacies of the NBA than any of us.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think Thibs is looking for a job right now. He is close to a number of coaches and is probably just meeting various coaches to discuss coaching. Not unheard of.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

20 minutes of McHale nodding his head and every detail that THibs tells McHale goes right over the head of this doofus. McHale responds they just need to "play harder" "clap clap"

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think Thibs would be great as our top assistant coach. He may be better suited to be an assistant coach than a head coach. I have no doubt that he will be a head coach again, but I would love for him to jump on board and give us a hand this year.

I think McHale and Thibs would work well together. McHale is the Principal, and Thibs is the Asst. Principal. The Principal is the nice guy that everyone likes, and the Asst. Principal is the guy that dishes out the discipline.

The Rockets and Thibs already know each other, Thibs knows Houston. He'll probably take the year off, but helping the Rockets win a championship would look nice on his resume.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. If Thibs was in charge of the defense only I'd pull the trigger without thinking twice. Remember all the open shots many teams got during the playoffs last season, that's more about coaching than about personnel IMO.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Is that video in chronological order? If so, basically Morey shows up, drops off one of the best defensive coaches in the game and let's them all just hang out. Morey must think McHale is the Chandler Parsons of recruiting coaches.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Man when McHale is extending his reach high, you can really see how his length really helped him dominated inside. You can just worm your way so deep with that length.

15. malakas

malakas Member

This is why we can't have good things. :rolleyes:
    These shorts are sexy and hot. It's about time they accomodate the other half of the audience. You can watch the cheerleaders I want to watch the shorts. :mad: Get it done Silver.
    Agreed on both. Now there's no way in hell Thibs would accept to work with such an intervening and powerful GM as Morrey.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVVQWGZub0

17. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Golden State was the top Defensive efficient team, but they were still 13th in points allowed, at 99 per game.

Houston, at number 10 in defensive efficiency, allowed 3 points per game more.

Golden State dominated, but they still allowed 100 points nearly every game. This is the way of basketball pace, high octane offenses will still, no matter how good their defensive schemes and players are, allow a boatload of points.

We were not a bad defensive team last year, despite our insane injuries to very good defensive players. We will be a better defensive team this year, and we will still let opponents score 100 a game.

18. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

While I agree with this, the core of the issue we have with him is in-game adjustments, defensive strategy, and late game execution. We need somebody for that, hire him a right hand man not named JB Bickerdumb****.

19. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

All these stats mean nothing if you can't have enough of the right players to matchup to any kind of offense, and can't get stops late. The Rockets are one of the very few teams in the league that can guard ANY kind of offense due to our unique players and their builds; Ariza, Brewer, KG, Dwight, TJ(if he focused and learned), Beverely, and even Harden(if he tried). Very few teams that have this depth of grit, length, athleticism, and size. I'd say Milwaukee has the basis with this when you look at MCW, Middleton, Giannis, Henson, and maybe even Monroe. I know for a FACT, these attributes will be heavily viewed, the long/rangy players that can guard 2-4, and switch on 1s if necessary.

We can be #10 defense, just means we gave up too many points in one game, less in another, and at the average of 10 in relative to the league. What matters is can we stop teams at the end of games in a basic pick & roll set, or in a high motion set(like Terry Stotts ran in portland that they beat us in the playoffs in), or an offense like SA/ATL, or GSW which constantly changes lineups and loves to utilize a ton of different offenses. Our players are tremendously gifted defensively, but totally underutilized...this on Kevin McHale.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It probably has a lot to do with them being so good on offense, thus forcing the other team into bad shots to try to keep up. Look at the Adelman Kings, who also had elite offensive and defensive teams.