1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This pick almost guaranteed Keenum to be the opening day starter.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If it's an open competition then yeah Case has a legit shot.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

you mean Ryan Fitzpatrick right?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Texans really liked Bortles. The Patriots really liked Bortles and were going to draft him in the first if he was there. He was #1 for Oakland.

I think a lot of us fans (myself included) are missing the boat on Bortles.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, Manziel is a diva QB, I don't think that's a fit with BOB. You don't build a "team" mentality by drafting someone like Manziel. Also, he has terrible field vision and honestly doesn't project to be a good NFL QB. I would be surprised if they had better than a 3rd round grade on him.

6. what

what Member

I just think, you can sell me on Clowney over Bortles, but you can't sell me on Su'a-Filo over Bridgewater, Carr, and Jimmy Garoppolo.

That don't fly. At some point either something went wrong, or you need to re-evaluate your standards.

Su'a-Filo has just as great a bust potential as any of those qbs. Again, the texans got owned after the first round because they sat back and let other teams snipe them.

They might be on plan c right now, draft as many qbs as you can from here on out. But they made some bad decisions in this draft.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

A project….some really negative scouting reports. BOB likes his size and apparently wants to work with him. Raw potential. Whatever.

8. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Nevermind, no point in discussing. Here's hoping Savage finds some sort of accuracy and becomes Brady 2.0.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heh, yeah so there's no way to sell you on the best guard prospect in the class over mediocre QB prospects? Aren't you a Titans fan?

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

That means he will be in a much worse situation than Schaub. Considering the Texans will be still a run oriented team, without accuracy to complete short passes, he won't even be able to get on the field.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If the Texans will start Fitzpatrick on opening day, basically they are telling their fans we are going to suck this coming season, again.

As long as Keenum can walk on the field, no way the Texans will start Fitzpatrick.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

There were so many red zone passes Schaub simply could not throw because he lacked the arm strength to fit the ball into such a narrow window. At the same time, Kubiak handcuffed us and did not allow any fade passes. What was left? Arian Foster and that's about it.

Even if Savage is raw and doesn't know how to read defenses or do all the minor things QB's do to fool the opposition, this is a 4th/5th rounder we're talking about here. He's gonna have a ton of flaws. The question is how much of them are fixable.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's not intended to be the next starting QB. Savage is just a project like Case.

14. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

His desire to win was above any qb in college and you could tell that by watching A&M. That screams at being a team player. You always ignore this and use your tired argument much like others questioning clowneys work ethic.

pointless argument. Lets go Texans fill some holes.

15. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I would've liked McCarron instead of Savage. He put up better numbers in a better conference, especially two years ago. He's more accurate and is a proven winner. McCarron had more yards, more TDs and fewer interceptions last year.

I get that Savage has the prototypical NFL body, but I think proven production is more important than body type.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His offensive line at Pitt sucked, he didn't play football for 3 years, and it was his first season in a new system. The Texans are hoping with a year to learn, and a good team around him he can excel.

He's smart, big, and has a huge arm. Maybe he works out, maybe not, but it's a low risk.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Didn't follow this guy that much in college, but check out his youtube highlight, almost 80% of his long pass are kind of like jump balls, wouldn't you say WTF and wonder how this will work out in the NFL?

18. what

what Member

The texans WANT to hit a homerun. They KNOW what AJ is, so they are hoping that Savage magically becomes something great. They are using their imagination to fill in the holes with superstar traits.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The only difference is : Keenum is undrafted, and we spent a 4th round pick on him, well its a 4th round pick, but there are still many holes in this team.

If he was really viewed as a project only, then this is a mistake. He should be viewed with much higher potential than Keenum when the Texans signed him (Keenum).

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one knows Savage better than BOB.