1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tolerant Liberals Confront A Donald Trump Supporter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jaru, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Couldn't make it past 0:29.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I watched the whole video. And my brains cells hate me for it.

So let me get this straight: the t-shirt guy is just there minding his own business when these two random people come up to him and try to engage him in conversation, with the man spewing obscenities and the girl trying to emasculate him? In addition, the girl tries to get as close as she can possibly get, to...film his face? Film his shirt? I don't get it - you don't need X minutes of footage of the guy's face and shirt and non-reaction to everything the girl said.

I'm not conservative by any means, but there IS such a thing as privacy / personal space, especially in a public place. The amount of willpower the guy had was really good. Kudos to the guy for sitting there and taking every bit of that.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

On the other hand, just because you're wearing something doesn't give someone the right to criticize you for X straight minutes.

If your example mirrored this situation, and after you've explained how good Harden is, the girl and the guy would call you a douchebag, a piece of shat and constantly berate you for loving Harden. Oh, and they'll assume you're gay too and rub your face in it, because you have a picture of another man on your shirt.

It's one thing to see if people want to discuss what their clothing represents - it's another thing to be as bothersome and annoying as these two people were. If people don't want to talk about things, why get extremely close to them and bother them incessantly?

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The Harden metaphor was more of a joke. Me supporting Harden comes from preference, not a form of nationalist xenophobic malarkey. The build the wall agenda comes in a lot of ways from a place of hate, whereas me supporting the Rockets is from a place of love. People hide behind the idea of border security when in truth it's all about kicking out the foreigners.

You wear a shirt like that to evoke a reaction, and yes, you will attract crazy people and passionate people. You get what you deserve in those situations. If he doesn't want to explain his views, don't broadcast them.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

While those two aren't mutually exclusive, nothing this guy displayed by his shirt showed any notion of racism.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fight fire with fire, time for liberals to be aggressive against bigotry and hate.

DD

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Texx, you logged into the wrong account.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I know quite a few Mexicans that support building the wall - actually, a lot of Legal immigrants do

cml750 likes this.
  9. Pizza_Da_Hut

That sounds like the anecdotal response of "I'm not racist, I have black friends". It's based in xenophobia, you can hate your own race. At the end of the day, we have bigger fears and greater priorities, but in a total middle finger move to real conservatives let's waste money on a wall. But hey, why not? We got tons of money to burn as a nation.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People who support building a wall are ignorant of the facts.

The wall can't be built, or would not be an effective barrier - no structure would work.

DD

11. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This is why I'm registered with the GOP.

A wall can be built, it just isn't financially viable - nor is it a long term solution. The majority of illegals come here legally and simply overstay their visas. We need to streamline the process of becoming a citizen. They are going to come regardless (and who can blame them), so we might as well make them citizens, and get them to pay their taxes ASAP.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

When she started saying the guy had never been touched is the moment when I thought they were going to bone.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

...edit...

Why am I arguing anything in the Hangout!? I had to edit again because I was so thrown off and I thought I was in the GARM

ban op and robbie380 and everyone pls...thx

RocketWalta likes this.
  14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Last time I checked, the efflux rate is greater than the influx rate. We have stabilized in the number of illegal immigrants in the states and actually are lowering that number a little bit every year.

Edited for swype typo.

Edit again, here's a source http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/03/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

Svpernaut likes this.
  15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm not in favor of building a wall - but to call anyone who does a racist is just plain dismissive of the actual reasons people want the wall built. It's the easy way out of the argument. The real argument against it should be the costs and the lack of effectiveness.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

If I've learned anything from this election is that the art of argument is dead. Be belligerent about your views until the other side submits. Lower the level of rhetoric to one of dismissive, violent and insulting discourse. The time for respectful discussion is done.

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

and thats exactly what we see these 2 people doing in the video the OP posted - its a shame really - because all it does is diminish your opinions when you stoop to that level

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

I would like to believe that, but then Bernie Sanders would be President by those standards if it was true. We need to be intolerant of intolerance to the point it annoys everyone into being tolerant for fear being called out if not.

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

They should make the sequel Erecting the Wall

robbie380 likes this.