1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Today is D-Day

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Jun 30, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Today is the day when it could all begin or all start come crashing down to an end in our pursuit of Dwight.

Today marks the end of 2011-12 salaries. It is also the last date for early termination of a lot of contracts. After today, the 2012-13 salaries have to be used in trade and there aren't so many contracts available for matching. So, I will be surprised if some trades aren't made today. After today, a lot of trade flexibility is gone.

But also, today is the last day before free agency starts. And that's the biggie. In a little under 16 1/2 hours, Deron Williams could decide where he is going to play basketball for the next 5 years. Or he could wait, not say anything, and decide to actually talk to multiple teams.

If Deron does announce he is going to re-sign in Brooklyn tomorrow and Dwight has not been traded, then in my opinion, our pursuit of Dwight will almost end. Morey is a risk taker. But he's not stupid. He may still be interested in acquiring Dwight but only after being able to speak to Dwight and get him to be open about re-signing here. (Highly unlikely) That's about the max risk Morey will take. (And frankly I don't see him even being willing to take that much risk with our assets.) I don't think he'll attempt to trade for Dwight on a strictly rental basis without being able to recruit Dwight before he trades him. And in that scenario, with DWill already committed in Brooklyn, Dwight is not likely to be open to speaking with him. And I really don't feel Morey will be willing to trade for Dwight at all without securing an agreement from Dwight to sign an extension with us at that point.

If Dwight is not traded today and Deron commits to Dallas......there is still a small chance that Morey will trade for Dwight on a rental basis. However, in this scenario and also in the one above, without a commitment from Dwight to sign an extension, in my opinion Morey is not going to be willing to give up nearly as much. At this point, Orlando is going to show Dwight where it is in his best interest to stay in Orlando and commit to an extension because he'll have to walk to Brooklyn in a year, lose $57 million, and not be in a position to win anyways since other free agents and draft picks will have to be brought in, and, in another year, Orlando will have improved their roster with trades and draft picks to become better suited to contend with Dwight getting a birds rights max deal.

In other words, if Deron commits to Dallas, then Orlando has no reason to trade Dwight to Brooklyn and Dwight really doesn't have much reason to go there. Brooklyn is likely eliminated as an option. Dwight will have to use his threat of walking away to get Orlando to trade him somewhere else.

This is the day for the Rockets, Dwight, and Orlando. This is the day when the Rockets are willing to give up the most and Orlando can get the most for Dwight in a rental trade. After today, we move into the twilight zone. There is still a chance. But a lot of what happens will be determined by what route Deron takes in free agency.

I'm watching Deron with keen interest right now. He's sending out signals that he's going to stay in Brooklyn. These guys and their agents, they're all smart, they know how things can unfold and how what they do and say influences the situation. So, Deron's up in Brooklyn working out, talking to AJ, etc. etc. etc. He's sending signals he's staying in Brooklyn. Why? Because if he sends signals he's going to Dallas, then he knows that Dwight more than likely won't be able to join him there. Dwight will most likely sign his extension and stay in Orlando or be traded somewhere else. And Deron also knows that if he commits in Brooklyn tomorrow that he can help cement Dwight walking away from wherever he is at and not agree to an extension anywhere. So Hennigan is walking a tightrope with the future of the Orlando franchise after midnight tonight.

Today is D-Day in a lot of ways for us. After today, our odds of acquiring Dwight fall substantially. It is still possible but the longer we go into free agency, the less likely it is that we trade for Dwight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

If we don't get Dwight???????

Somebody mentioned some 3 or 4-way deal involving us helping Dwight get to the Lakers and being able to get back Bynum or Gasol. I hope that doesn't happen. And I can't see Morey being willing to help the Lakers become dominant again when Les is looking to compete right now for a championship. Bynum is a major risk. Morey knows it. Bynum is on an expiring contract. He's not nearly as good as Dwight. And Bynum with a fresh new 5-year max contract could (and probably will) become very complacent. Gasol?? He's on the back side of his career. Still a great player, a top 5 center in the NBA, but us bringing him here and getting Dwight to the Lakers makes no sense. Even if we get to the playoffs we're not likely to be able to get through Dwight/Kobe and whatever else they bring in. It's simply a loser deal for us from any angle that I see to be a part of a convoluted deal that sends Dwight to the Lakers. So, I think all that is just talk. Morey is talking and involved in those talks simply to sort out what the Lakers are trying to do, not to help facilitate Dwight going to LA. I don't believe Morey is interested in Bynum or Gasol right now. He may be interested if Dwight stays in the East. But he's not interested in Bynum and Gasol if Dwight is in LA.

If Dwight goes to the Lakers somehow, Morey is going to build with Royce White as a foundation, get a good defensive center like Asik and he's going to put his efforts into rebuilding us out from Dragic, White, Parsons, Motie, Lamb, and whatever center he can come up with by trading some combination of Scola, Martin, Lowry, Lee, Morris, and Patterson that doesn't have an exorbitant max contract. That means a guy like Asik. And most likely we will be able to get Asik, especially with guys like Lee, Smith, Morris, Scola, and martin available to execute a multi-player deal with Chicago.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I hope this is the end, I'm sick and tired of hearing about Dwight.

3. rocketsfaninala

IMO the chase for Dwight is over for us. It ended on draft night. I believe Deron re-signs with Brooklyn and Dwight winds up either getting traded at the deadline next year or Orlando simply allows him to walk away after thinking they may can get him to re-sign. I believe we wind up re-signing Camby and getting Asik through free agency. I believe Kevin Martin probably gets traded and that will be about it for us.

4. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Orlando has no reason to trade Dwight to Brooklyn anyways. they only have 6 players on contract and they all suck. Even gerald wallace left them

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand
    I am at the point, I am making my peace with the draft picks.
    Trying to see what they become

NOW OFF TO SUMMER LEAGUE

Rocket River

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

two facts preventing Dwight from getting to Brooklyn

1) Orlando has no reason to trade him there
    2) Dwight signing anywhere but the team he is on at the end of the season will cost him $57 million

If Orlando believes Dwight won't walk away from the money, why trade him at all?

If Orlando thinks he will walk, why trade him to Brooklyn?

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's a very good way to put it. I do like Royce's game. But he's still got high bust potential. Wished I felt the same way about Lamb, am willing to reconsider my opinion on him. Don't see it with Jones at all. Really having to make my peace with that pick.

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

If we don't get Dwight, go for McGee.

9. Jamers

Jamers Member

^this..

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Exactly. Orlando's best option is to get Howard to resign and remain in Orlando. If they truely believe that he won't walk away from that kind of money then they should just sit tight and force his hand.

Just the fact that they just hired their GM a couple of weeks ago makes me believe that there's no way that they do a deal right now. The new guy has to come up with a strategy and likely it will include him trying to sell Howard on staying in Orlando. That won't happen this week.

11. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I rather pursue Bynum in a 3-4 team deal with LA, ORL, and HOU.

Bynum after being eliminated: "I'll play anywhere...."

12. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

yeah. i'd just spend my time today at Galveston and come back home with peace of mind. :)

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Just looking at the unrestricted center's, Asik is the only one who probably wont get match because of his team's financial strain. But as for the others, you might as well forget about Hibbert, B. Lopez and McGee because they all will get matched.

Another option is obtaining a center via trade. Personally I would target young guys like Kanter, Whiteside and Aldrich. A young big who we can groom, and have grow with our other young talented players, like Lamb, D-Mo and Parsons, would be great.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I'm happy with these pieces: Dragic & Lamb & Parsons

What I may be happy with: Motiejunas

On the fence: Jones, White, Morris

I hope Morris evolves, he can be a hell of a 3-man if he gets himself set up for that. A Dragic-Lamb-Morris 1-2-3 set up with a 4/5 combo like Pat/Motiejunas or Motiejunas/Some tall defensive big is a great starting lineup with players like Lee, Parsons, perhaps even Patterson from the bench.

C- Defensive C
    PF- Motiejunas
    SF-Morris
    SG-Lamb
    PG-Dragic

Bench Rotation:
    Parsons
    Lee
    Patterson
    Some PG

It all depends on how good Motie and Morris and Lamb end up.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Sure, it'd be nice but why do we expect them to move him today when they weren't ready to a [2] day ago?

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Enough about Howard. I am ready to move on with the rooks we drafted.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Would rather have bynum for the rest of his career with the risk of injury's then dwight for a one year rental with the risk of him leaving.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Our summer league team is going to kick ass! I think we ought to nickname them Forwards-R-Us

The steaming video hits in Houston will be huge.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I prefer Dwight Schrute anyways.

[​IMG]

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Edit: That's better. :)

Could you post a bigger picture? I can't see it.