1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To those who want to trade any part of our core: Why?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kholdphlames, Apr 6, 2013.

1. cw3k

cw3k Member

Caps space is an issue. If caps space is not an issue then every big market teams, LA, NY, CHI would have the best of the best of the best of the best players possible.

I think the current core is fine. Young and still have plenty room for improvement. But eventually, this core will has to break up when Asik and Lin's contract are up to renewal at the end of 2014/15 season. Let just say Asik and Lin continue to improve and stay healthy. A 50% increase to 12m/year is not unreasonable. Parson will get a big raise too. Let just say same contract as Lin and Asik current have, 8m/year.

So you add up the 4 for 2015/16 would be 48m. That doesn't leave too much room for the other 10 players.

2. muas2010

muas2010 Member

That team had all starters that played great defense.

3. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Barring a chance at a superstar, I don't think Morey is likely to trade any of Lin/Parsons/Asik until after next season.

The other least likely to be traded is Beverly, who is like Parsons in the sense that he is being paid less than the value of his current performance (as opposed to players who are being paid for potential).

At that point it will become a question of getting value for them while you can or be willing to pay to keep them. The thing is, Lin and Parsons seem like the kind of guys who would be willing to take less money to stay with a team and players they like; that's a match made in heaven for Morey, who is all about value in contracts. Maybe Asik is like that too, but he never talks, so who knows.

4. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Come on... Harden has had a solid offensive season but let us not even put him in the same table as those other guys just yet. Right now Harden is just fools gold. I would take someone like Denver's Ig over Harden right now as he make this team that much better... same factor as CP3 over Lin and Howard or Asik.

5. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

We need to sign Dwight. If we get him, we take a lot of pressure off of Harden and Lin. We could do a S&T with LA featuring T-Rob. We could do a S&T for Millsap packaging Omer and AB.

6. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

You can trade Harden for Lebron , Durant, Westbrook or Dwight...

7. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

In NBA 2K

8. kholdphlames

kholdphlames Member

IMO this is the kryptonite to my "Our young core will become elite" argument. I didn't take finances into consideration. But it would be possible to pay those 3 if we don't take another max player in, no?

That aside, I'd say it's possible to have a championship caliber team with only one star. The 2011 Mavs did it, and I think we have better raw talent than they do.

9. SeabrookMiglla

i agree with OP in the sense that i like this young core of asik, harden, lin, parsons.

but the fact of the matter is we need at least one other superstar to contend with, and that may mean trading one of our core pieces. in essence when a superstar comes knocking at your door, in the NBA you dont pass up that opportunity unless they are injured in some way or getting old. even in those circumstances its still a toss up.

i would be content with holding this core and seeing how they pan out, but morey is the type to keep making this team better. it will be interesting to see how he plays his cards, because since his tenure this is the first legit core he has been given.

it seems morey has been really successful at getting players to perform there best for our team, and then move them for someone better. ive noticed time and time again that players who were successful in houston and moved teams, usually ended up sucking or playing not as good as they did in houston.

10. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

You couldn't even do THAT in 2k! hahaha :grin:

11. Anxiety Trooper

You are an idiot. No offense

12. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I'm sure Morey would love to have this problem.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yes it's a good problem to have (I believe Morey said Presti's problem was he did his job too well and got so many good players he couldn't afford to pay them all)

14. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

why not Harden -Dwight trade impossoble? lakers get a new star and we get the championship center

15. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Why? Because Harden is a 23 year old superstar with enormous upside? With Dwight Howard you get a 27 year old center with back problems who you are praying returns to previous form, who even in previous form couldn't get a championship. Your arguments are silly, obviously you'd trade Harden for Lebron or Durant but those are about the only people I'd trade him for and both have zero probability of happening. Trading any of our other assets for a player like Love or LMA is a thousand times more probable than a Harden trade for either one of those two, so I don't know why you point out that we'd trade Harden for the right price everytime someone brings up the fact that everyone on the team outside of him is expendable.

16. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Likewise, non taken.

17. nono

nono Member

Parsons won't be a Rocket next year. I feel very confident in saying this. He will either be traded as part of the deal to acquire Howard, or to acquire the power forward superstar. He is being showcased for a trade. If not this offseason, then next offseason is guaranteed. His contract makes him a very valuable trade asset.

18. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

The number of folks having the fantasy that the Rockets can get Howard is amazing :grin:

19. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Disagree. Yes, he is very valuable, but having a cheap starting SF (or a cheap backup SF playing 25 quality minutes a game) lets you spend more somewhere else. So, maybe.

20. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

this.

We only have one superstar on our team. While we're great the way we are now. I dont see us getting out of the second round of the playoffs with the lineup that we have right now.

however i am ver proud that we have such a good team for being the youngest team in the NBA. thats something to be proud of. we have to make some sort of history for this, like the best record for the youngest team in the league or something.