1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To those who want to trade any part of our core: Why?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kholdphlames, Apr 6, 2013.

1. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Parson is only in his second yr !

his a keeper...

Asik
    White
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin

2. kastuul

kastuul Member

Chemistry is important.
    The Lakers collect 5 stars but they can't play together.

3. muhaha

muhaha Member

This, I think Denver is a good example. we don't need all stars if everyone buy into the team and win.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Haha, you completely failed as a troll! No one rose up to take your bait lol.

[​IMG]

5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

hehe at least he got me thinking....:grin: btw nice pic...:grin:

6. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

no i was talking about stars btw how many superstars there is?

7. poing

poing Member

I'm pretty sure it's because some people want the Rockets to win no matter who the players are and other people want the current players to succeed.

you didn't expose any shocking dynamics here.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The real issue is if the core improves as we would like, how do you pay them all when Lin/Asik/Parsons contracts come up?

Same problem the Thunder had. The moment you develop a young core you can't afford to pay them all.

9. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I would assume most veterans of the board have watched the Rockets the past 3 years and have a good understanding of how hard it is to get a superstar, and how easily Morey manages to get good role players. Making any player other than Harden dispensable.

10. dje243

dje243 Member

Bingo. Heat are a freight train at this point. You have to set yourself up for 2 to 3 years down the road.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, Morey's job is not to "just win". The Nuggets are second round playoff fodder. I don't want a team like that. That was the Hawks for years. No thanks.

Les has Morey building a Championship team.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

1) It would be nice if we could pick and choose that precisely. You have to work with what's available. Also, you would want the stars to have some time together.

2)Parsons and Lin are 24. If they were going to be elite players, it should be obvious by now. They both should end up being pretty good, but pretty good doesn't make you a contender.

3) We traded or released practically our whole team from last year, and made a big midseason change. We can handle more, obviously.

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

THIS IS THE OFFSEASON THE ROCKETS NEED TO MAKE SUDTLE MOVES. I THINK WE NEED TO SEE WHAT THE PLAYERS WE HAVE CAN BECOME BEFORE WE MAKE ANY MAJOR MOVES.

I WOULD LOOK TO MAKE THE FOLLOWING MOVES;

1) ACQUIRE PAU GASOL - HE HAS 1 YR LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT. THIS WILL GIVES US A VETERAN PRESENCE AND GIVE T. JONES AND D. MO TIME TO MATURE. (THE LAKERS WILL BE LOOKING TO RID THEMSELVES OF GASOL AND CAP SPACE)

2) THE ROCKETS NEED TO REALIZE THAT T-ROB IS NOT A GAME CHANGING 4, IF HE IS TO GAME CHANGER, IT WILL HAVE TO BE AT THE 3!! HE IS 6'8", LONG, FLUID BUT HE HAS TO IMPROVE HIS SHOT AND HANDLE.

3) ACQUIRE A WING PLAYER THAT CAN TAKE PRESSURE OFF HARDEN! I WOULD OFFER JR SMITH $6M TO $7M FOR 3 YRS OR TRADE FOR ONE THE WING PLAYERS FROM DENVER. WE NEED A LEGIT SCORER

WE ARE LOOKING AT ANOTHER 1 OR 2 YRS BEFORE WE WILL BECOME CONTENDERS BUT I THINK WE NEED TO ADD SUBTLE IMPROVEMENTS.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think you don't understand veteran fans. When I became a Rockets fan, the best players were Ralph Sampson and Hakeem. Later, there was Barkley, Clyde, Pippen, Francis, Yao, and Tmac. Guess what all those guys have in common. They're gone. Every player that is on the current team will be gone someday, and I will still be a Rockets fan.

I don't care who we trade if it makes the Rockets better.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

If TRob can't make it as a 4, he has no chance to make it as a 3.

16. The RavenEffect

Harden is a superstar and I believe Lin, Parsons, and Asik will grow into be all star caliber players. I love this core.

17. Weatherby

Weatherby Member

Yes we have exceeded expectations. That being said, we are at best a 6-8 seed. I love the Chandler Parsons to Scottie Pippen comparison though. Right now our team lives and dies with James Harden's offensive productivity. It is true that other players step up and have big games occasionally, but as harden goes the team goes. If we had a center/power forward that is not only good defensively, but offensively, it is just another way that our team can win. Think about the teams that have won the championship in the last few years. They all have multiple stars. Unfortunately, the teams that have 5 pretty good players dont win the championship (sixers last season, pacers, bulls). We need another star. I think best case scenario is Kevin Love.

18. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

A lot of you asking to trade the core also have to consider the ball handling dynamics as well. A lot of the superstars mentioned are superstars because they dominate the ball. And their team chemistry is always lacking when another ball dominant player is present. Something to really consider when we whip lash a superstar out of nowhere.

19. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

OP repped. Good post.

People keep forgetting that this basically year one of a complete tear down and rebuild because the team has been much better than anyone could ever imagine.

I think adding a 18-10 PF and maybe a legit wing defender puts this team in a pretty good spot. We can do both without trading a core player.

20. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

o_O where in the world can you just find a 18-10 PF not named Josh Smith without trading anything? Cap space is an important tool to use, we can't just through it at the next Paul Millsap either.