1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To tank or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Rock MVP, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Should we ....

1. Tank and get a top 5 pick

145 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. Risk it and make playoffs at 8th seed or get 14th pick

66 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Let's face the cold hard facts- we are not goin' anywhere( finals) with this cast! We need to play the youngster to get experience! Plus, paying some of these FA that I hear goin around here is just NOT worth it!:(

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Let's tank so we can be like thunder, spurs with Duncan, rox with Hakeem but let's no be like kings,caves,wizards,Minnesota,Toronto, that are exclusively tanking for a while now.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm starting to get pretty irritated with the tanking obsession.

Under no circumstances does a team flip a switch and automatically earn a top 5 pick.

4. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Any team that considers tanking is not going anywhere. Only very poorly run clubs ever get to that point.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This argument really boils down to instant gratification vs. thinking long term. Do you know what happens to people who always opt for instant gratification? They get fat and catch std's. In fact, from this point on I'm going to assume everybody in the anti-tanking crowd is fat with a seriously mean venereal disease of some sort.

6. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Well based on that post, I will just assume that you have an IQ of about 70.

1 person likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

positive thread. OP you should have waited until after the first double digit loss...then you might look a tad less like a complete loser.

I love the way they are just written off from the outset and you want to suck for sucks sake. Im glad you weren't around when the rockets were down 3-1 against phx.

I mean this thread is just f&&king awesome.

Maybe your mom should have just tanked it and not had you since she knew you would grow up to be a tanking sucker.

Geez this is atrocious.

Maybe you shouldnt wash your balls since they will dirty again.

I mean whats the point right? Just tank it hope for the best a few years down the line? yeah thats the ticket.. great plan!

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm sure you said the same thing to Clutch when he wrote an article about it and there was a gigantic thread about it and everybody was talking about what a genius he is.

9. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Taking the dishonorable route by tanking isn't the way to go. The Rockets need to find a way to get the job done (a championship) in an honorable way. There's no guarantee that tanking would bring the sorts of players who could win a championship anyway. And even if it did, it would be tainted. The team has some good pieces. Build around them. Hope the GM is smart enough to find some gems through free agency, trades and the draft who can develop into the players we need. Then the championship will be real.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I'm tired of being mediocre! Im tired of this politic ISH "we want to improve the team while remaining competitive".... Eff that man! Im sick of it, its all politics, id rather take a few steps back to acquire a star and move forward with some kind of direction.
    That said this season im gonna enjoy Rockets basketball but I hope we Tank.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We were pending on Yao. He is gone and it will take time heal but not that much. So easy to say let's tank but that losing will lose many fans. Would you go to a game or watch them if they are tanking? Wtf you gonna cheer about? Yay! 5th pick. Morey acquires these by trades, that's his specialty.

12. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Morey doesn't want to say the word tank (he would probably get in trouble) but there is not a doubt in my mind this is gonna be a losing season for us, seriously who are we kidding its better to know and understand our position start from scratch and let the healing begin.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Congrats. This is the dumbest thing I've read on here and that's saying a lot.

14. TheresTheDagger

Lets make sure we have one thing straight.

Tanking =/= drafting next superstar.

Even if we get a top 3 lottery pick (and thats a BIG if by the way) by tanking, there is no guarantee that player will turn out to be the next Durant.

What I see in the posts for tanking is the frustration of two straight #9 seeds. I get it. Everyone who is a Rox fan feels that way.

But try looking at it this way.

Last season, we had a PG who really blossomed. We fell 3 games short of the playoffs with Chuck Hayes and Brad Miller in the middle. If we get a Tyson Chandler or Nene to add to the team we already have, we suddenly are a 5-8 seed.... young/exciting and perhaps even win a first round series like the Grizzlies did.

Suddenly, we aren't the team nobody wants to go to anymore. We become
    a team that only needs that one player to become a legit championship contender.

I say we try THAT route first. Will it work? Its got just as good a chance as hoping some ping pong ball lands right and doesn't taste nearly as bad as tanking (sucking) does.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Rockets
    80/81 - Finals
    81/82 - playoffs
    trade MVP Moses Malone
    82/83 - 14 Ws and #1 & #3 pick
    83/84 - 29 Ws and #1 pick (if you weren't around to see that, it was a major tankfest between us an Portland on the last month or 2. Blatant tanking - by both teams. This display is what caused the draft lotto.
    84/85 - playoffs
    85/86 - finals

If you don't believe in tanking, you've forgotten your NBA history. There are other examples but there is the case I think we can best relate to. It wasn't long. Those tank years weren't pretty but had a great reward.

You can get lucky and I mean extremely lucky or in this "new world" you have to have a good FA draw. Yao was a good draw for multiple reasons but Yao is gone now and all that is left is a 500 club in Houston. You can't turn this around picking in the midteens and sending out ipads. It's time to follow history.

16. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

They only won 14 game the season before, probably didn't have to try too hard to tank. And again, how many teams have tanked and won a championship since the lottery?

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

"Tanking" - intentionally playing beneath yourself to lose games, is never the right answer. It cripples the franchise with a loser's mentality and you end up with an endless lottery cycle of swill like the Clippers and Bucks.

So long as the age limit isn't changed, this is a golden opportunity draft for reloading.

I'd be of the opinion that now's the time to make bold moves that clear out the star players (none of whom are legit franchise guys), develop the young ones, and get somewhere in the middle of the lottery.

This draft is so deep that you don't have to be top 5 to come away with a potential stud. The top 9-12 right now all look great. The fall off starts with Zeller (nice college C, but will get destroyed by real bigs).

Good year to swing for the fences....if Les allows it.

Arguably the Spurs.

You could argue that the Heat tanked to form the superteam, and while they missed last year, it's very likely they get a ring for it soon.

18. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Exactly. Since the lottery was implemented, you can really only argue for two teams that have successfully tank. What the Rockets should do is trade away their veteran pieces, reload through the draft, and hopefully they can find their new cornerstone.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Go young - if you win, great, if you lose, you get a higher draft pick, also great.

DD

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Time to tank!

Enough of this ****.