1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To T-MAC, his shooting coach, or any coaching staff within the organization...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ambrose86, Oct 9, 2008.

?

Biggest reason for T-Mac's free throw shooting woes

1. Injury

10.9%
  2. Inner-devil (confidence)

47.9%
  3. Poor mechanics (ie: finger release, arc, etc)

18.2%
  4. Inconsistent shooting form

22.9%
  1. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Dear T-Mac,

You always blame your declining basketball dominance with your injury woes. You are perhaps the first and only superstar in the league who would have the humility to admit that you've lost a step. I respect that. You are perhaps the first superstar who had broken down emotionally in front of the camera after your sixth consecutive playoff exit. You're emotional, so what if you cried.

Last season, you had a career low in points at 21.6pg since your breakout season in orlando. I'll take that. A career low in rebounds since your rookie season? I'll give you that as well. A career low in steals and blocks? That is fine too, because you have to conserve your body and save energy for our dismal offense. At least you bring it on in the playoffs.

But a career low in FT at only 68% in the season and an even worse rate of 62% in the playoffs? C'mon now t-mac, there is a limit to using injury as an excuse. You cannot blame you FT on anything other than yourself.

Here's what John Hollinger said about your FT shooting.
    Take his words for what it is worth. Work your ass off on improving the mechanics of your free throw shot. Hire a capable coach for improving your consistency. Do whatever it takes to make it look less pathetic than it already is. You have amassed to miss 113 freethrows over 66 games last season, which equals to about 1.71 points per game. That number is significant, considering the amount of close game we have or the amount of would have been close game had you not missed so much of your free throws. Besides, it affects not only your confidence in other areas, but also that of your teammates.

2. yo

yo Contributing Member

- He will also frequently blame the lack of support for failures, an excuse for his subpar play. Shouldering a leader's amount of burden for the team seems like an outrageous idea to him, yet he rakes in about 1/3 of the teams total annual salary. He shrugs off preseason like he's above it. I don't think 'humility' should be a word to describe him.
    - He's also probably the first and only superstar to be ousted in six consecutive playoff exits. Least he could do was show that he maybe cared, something that doesn't always show on the court - which is probably why he shoots so piss poor from the line. He just doesn't seem to care.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He doesn't care but he cried after losing in the first round 2 years ago. He blames the lack of support for failures but that same year, he had his "Its on Me" speech. T-Mac doesn't care about Rockets fans.

4. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

I was being sarcastic on the humility part and also crying part :D

But in his defense, I do think he does care very much about winning. It's just that his facial expression belies him.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think it's a big extreme to say he doesn't care but I think there's a definite lack of effort on his part to sustain/attain greatness. Something as simple as practicing his shooting, would go a long ways in improving his game.

He doesn't seem to realize that he is on the brink of fading into the state of oblivion that has characterized the latter half of his cousin's career. Only his passing has kept him relevant at this point.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

In my opinion, it is all about confidence. He can make any shot over any defender so free throws shouldn't be a problem.

7. joesr

joesr Member

I think you need to put a defender in front of him at the free throw.

;)

But at the same time I really hate that lack of support speech.

8. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

They just need to wave a picture of Bruce Bowen in front of him before every shot.

9. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I just think he doesn't seem to have that passion for the game that true winners have. I for one have been very disappointed in his time here as a Rocket. :(

My 8 year old also cries if I yell at him to loud, but that just makes him over sensitive.

10. Albert Einstain

His injury in his back and shoulder is the culprit to his bad free throws. as long as his injury has been fully cured of, I bet his free throws will be much better in the upcoming season, at least a little bit better than dorsey :D

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Him standing back is not a factor. His FT%was better (more acceptable) before. I think it's mainly mental (not so much confidence as the option has) and partly injuries too. I mean if your shoulder is bugging you, then it's going to affect things like shooting.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

One thing I noticed last year is his percentage on the first free throw attempt had to be significantly lower than the second one.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was down around 50% on the first free throw attempt through most of last year.

13. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

He should get Rick Barry to teach him how to shoot free throws underhanded

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yep.

It's like he would miss the first one and then say to himself "oh yeah, maybe I should actually make this second one..."

15. bewy

bewy Member

None of the above. T-mac has scoliosis ever since he was young. That's probably the reason.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Health declines with age.
    Athleticism declines with age.
    Even jumpshooting can decline with age because of the decline in elevation.

Free throw shooting does NOT decline with age (except when injuries impede the shooting mechanics). If someone's FT shooting dipped significantly, it had to be mental.

In fact, TMac's FT slump led me to believe that the decline of the other facets of his game was most probably mental too.

17. gta

gta Member

lack of practice

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i think it has to with his mechanics of his jump shot.

mcgrady jumps and tends to shoots off of one leg and sort of kicks his other leg out a bit to gain balance and shoot the ball. (head does the same thing--shoot off of one leg) this is fine for jumpers obviously but at the free throw line where its a set shot it makes it harder for him to get his legs into the shot because it becomes a different/unnatural shooting motion for him.

other shooters who jump off of two feet to shoot and do not kick their legs out have better balance for set shots like free throws.

Head --the guy is known as a shooter and is a pretty good shooter, but his career ft % is 76 to me that surprisingly low.

Tmac just needs to practice and focus a lot more to get more consistent from the line i think its possibly for him to be at 79-80% which would be fine.

19. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I've noticed that whenever McGrady has a good shooting night on the floor, he makes his FTs on a much more regular basis than if he's having a bad shooting night. Unfortunately, there just aren't enough of his good shooting nights to make his FT respetable.

And if he has had scoliosis, how come he averaged 82% in his Orlando days?

20. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

He had polio.

And he's crosseyed.