1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TNT crew says Rockets aren't legit contenders; Howard isn't a great player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

We're not even good enough to be pretenders.

2. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

One of the reasons why this team is so inconsistent is because Howard is so inconsistent. Even on the boards and on the defensive end he's inconsistent, not to mention offensively. He's really not a great player. Very good, but not great. 18, 12, and 1.7 is not great. Asik is better and more consistent defensively than Howard.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

They're right. But we knew that about Howard going in. Inside guys should spread the hate around. McHale barely mentioned.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why was Howard yelling at Cisco after Durant dunked it on him? I haven't watched the game yet, just this play, but it seems like Cisco fronted by design and DH didn't step up hard enough to cover the paint. He sure as he'll didn't challenge KD at all. At least Asik would have gone straight up to defend.

5. Andrew Wiggins

I am looking forward to the off-season more than the playoffs.

Fact.

6. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Shaq also hates Dwight because he left the Lakers and thinks he could not take the pressure of LA. He does not hide his hate for Dwight.

7. SugarLandDream8

They said the Rockets are not legit contenders. Can't really disagree with them. Look at this team's record. Not exactly stellar.

The Rockets won 1 playoff series since Hakeem's era.

We have probably the worst coach in the league leading this team as well.

PG - Lin is the best but he is only a solid starting PG not a star. And Mchale doesn't even stick with him and let him play starter minutes every game. He gets benched at a drop of a hat.

2-guard - Harden is an amazing offensive player. Unstoppable and gets to the foul line a lot. As good as his offense that is how bad his defense is. He is arguably the best offensive 2-guard in the NBA but sadly likely the worst defensive starting shooting guard in the league.

SF- Parsons is probably my favorite player. He is a steal for his salary. His D is suspect but not as bad as Harden. He has a lot of upside. I can see him as a borderline star player one day but he still has a lot to learn and to develop. He's not ready to be a star yet.

PF - T-Jones a steal for his salary. I see great potential. He's too raw and not ready yet to dominate.

Center- Howard. He's the best center in the league and that says a lot about how bad the NBA is at the center position. Great defender and rebounder but his offensive issues has been discussed to death by Shaq and O'neal is right. His FT is the worst.

Can't argue we are not title contenders.

8. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

Parsons D is suspect? Do you even watch rockets games? He's easily our best perimeter defender!

9. DreamEarlNolan

I remember when Dwight took on the Superman persona Shaq voiced his displeasure about it. Shaq had the Superman tattoo and always liked to refer to himself as Superman.

10. SugarLandDream8

He hated DH long before he joined the Lakers. His hate started with DH winning the slam dunk contest wearing the superman costume.

Shaq claims that's his thing (superman) and has been sore about DH since.

11. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

Dwight's lack of consistent post moves is not news here. But his foul troubles in some of the recent games are frustrating. So many unnecessary fouls, are we really looking at a 9 years veteran here? Need play it smart and cut down some reckless turnovers.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That was reactionary, Cisco was the one that yelled at Dwight first for not stepping up after Durant got by him. It seems that Dwight has lost the will to get every block. He doesn't contest that much at all now. Dwight getting a foul for contesting a shot and knocking Durant on is ass is much better than his customary silly touch fouls he seems to get now.

13. SugarLandDream8

So what if he is the Rockets best perimeter defender. Does the Rockets excel at perimeter Defense? Or is it one of the team's biggest weakness. Yeah he is better than Harden on D. Does that mean much.

You can be the best defender of your local playground team. That doesn't mean you are a good defender.

Parsons D is suspect. If you can't see that....

You know what Lin's D is suspect too...

Bev "the legendary defender" also has suspect D against some taller and stronger PGs...

Harden's D is suspect as well...

14. Raven

Raven Member

Need an upgrade at the point.

15. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

We need a better PG. Lin, Beverly, and Brooks are all best suited to come off the bench. Starting PG is clearly our weakest position now.

16. SugarLandDream8

This is why Morey did not want to trade Asik during the off season and wanted him to back up Howard but Asik refuses.

Howard needs a solid backup since he is in foul trouble often

17. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

Parsons is an outstanding defender. Not sure what you are talking about. Kerr was praising his D all night.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dwight has improved his post game, A LOT. But they never give him the ball, and they have a dozen other problems

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

They're right and the Rockets deserve the critcism. I do wish they would've acknowledged they were on a 2nd night of a back to back in which the starters logged heavy minutes though. The national perception of the Rockets is so bad at the moment.

20. SugarLandDream8

Parsons is an "outstanding defender" lmao.

He's my favorite player so I wont say much but please watch some games.

At best he is slightly below avg on D.

If Parsons did improve his D, he'll be an all star