1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TNT crew says Rockets aren't legit contenders; Howard isn't a great player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jan 16, 2014.

1. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

he had positives about d12. actually barkley was really giving it to Dwight.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

he also said he jumped 50 feet.

3. Swishh

Swishh Member

Really dude?

Why on earth would Shaq be jealous of Dwight? Shaq has 4 rings, Dwight has none. Shaq is also regarded as one of, if not the most dominant big man in NBA history.

What does Dwight have that would make Shaq jealous of him?

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Wish we never let go of Goran Dragic. Or Courtney Fortoson. (jaykay)

5. chandlerbang21

Perhaps u missed the game but Howard had his shot blocked many times

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Fortson, dumbass learn to spell.

7. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

They are right, the Rockets are a let down... for now. We need some changes.

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

Howard has exceeded my expectations most of this season. Tonight, though, when he made business decisions not to try to block or lay out Durant's throwdowns, well, that was... Disappointing. Its the 2nd night of a BTB, and it looked like he was a bit stiff in the back.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

the "SuperMan" nickname. Shaq is really salty about that. Great players take offense to the silliest things to get them going on the court this is probably just spilling over into his broadcast career.

Remember how salty MJ was at his HOF induction? spillage.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sounds about right.

Is Dream even around lately? Is he working with Jones at all? I'm beginning to think Dream isn't a very good teacher. Only Kobe really picked up on his stuff and he's on another level when it comes to details and observations.

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

You have just won the dumbest post of the year award. Congratulation.

#31 RocketForever, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Fortson was a poor man's Beverley.

13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I blame the bench more than anything. They scored a combined 29 points almost entirely in the 1st half. Garcia has been horrendous for a few weeks now and Casspi has fallen off the rotation. McHale decided to let the bench try to save this but they absolutely failed. We need Beverly and Asik back in a big way.

14. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I think that there are three things that need to happen before this team can be considered a legit contender.

1. McHale has to go. The system that he runs is atrocious. If you want to get to the finals you have to play defense. Which is obviously something he does not preach. The free flowing style is great but it just isn't working out. We need to be like the Magic of old where we run the ball through Howard and he dishes it out to the three point guys if he is double teamed.
    2. This team absolutely needs a PG. I love Lin but he has got to be replaced by another star. I hope it is Rondo because he is the guy that is capable of running a team. Beverley is hurt right now but I really don't think that he is a great fit for this team. Yeah he plays defense really well but he can't shoot for ****.
    3. Morey needs to completely re-tool the bench. I love D-Mo's production tonight and if he can consistently keep it up then we should keep him. There are really only a few guys from the bench that I would consider maybe keeping on this team; Casspi, Brooks, and D-Mo. Everyone else we can either trade away or just outright release.

15. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

What is so great about Howard? He averages 18 and 12. That's very good, but does anyone really think that's great? He's also averaging under 2 blocks per game.

16. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Wish we had Bass and Lee... just kidding. We still would've lost.

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Even though I think Shaq criticisms on Dwight are often too harsh and unrealistic, you have to understand where he is coming from. Shaq was raised on the big men heritage. He breathes that history in and embraced it his whole life and career. He watched film of Russell and Wilt when he was younger. Got to play when the center position was in its highest peak of power and reverence, against some of the greatest ever in Hakeen. Ewing and Robinson. He was even considered the best big man in the game for most of his career and arguably the most dominant center ever to play.

So when he sees someone who has taken the title of best center in the NBA, who is a great player but fails to even compare with the likes of a Wilt, Hakeem, Russel or any other past great, of course he is going to be over harsh in his criticisms.

But I agree with all the points he made tonight. If Howard is going against Perkins, who is too slow or Ibaka, Collison and Adams all of whom can't contain Dwight from a power stand point or even more any center in the league, he should be in the very least a 22+ppg, 14+rpg, 3+bpg player.

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

The REAL person to blame is Daryl Morey. He's the one who wants to decide how the offense should be ran from the skybox. You can't win in this league telling your players to stray away from midrange jumpers. A GM should never be able to dictate how a coach runs his system. Now I know why Adelman was let go.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nah.... it is all about Dwight taking Diesel's nick name....Superman
    and people outside comparing them because Orlando-Lakers history......

20. SugarLandDream8

Right now on one would call the Rockets legit contenders unless they were Rockets homers.