1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[tnt/chris webber] "If golden state plays houston in the playoffs..."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LFE171, Mar 27, 2008.

1. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Webber isn't a bad analyst on tnt I'll give him that. But dude says since the warriors guards play so great, they should have the upper hand against any team that doesn't have a post presence.

Ernie stated that if Houston does play them, how will they fare. Though Webber said he loved coach RA, houston would have a VERY hard time against jackson, davis and ellis.

He brought up a good point. I think if anything, homecourt matters the MOST in this matchup. We barely came out alive against them in SF, but I think the matchups will be decent. Tmac will light up jackson, baron will light up rafer, ellis and bobby jackson/battier will be the x-factors.

Your thoughts?

2. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I think Landry will be the X-Factor if we faced them.

3. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

yeah everytime we play them it is either a blowout win for GS or a close win or lose for us. But i think we can beat them as long as Landry is playing beastie

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Nobody will have it easy in the WC. Every single team in every round will have to play their best to win.

Unless Denver makes it to the playoffs. They suck!

5. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

His point is Bias,of course he's going to say golden state would have an upper hand. He would say the same thing if he just recently retired from the rockets

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i'm just scared of monta. he blew by battier with ease.

we have to take advantage of monta on the offensive end b/c he's one ot he worst defenders in the L even when he tries. we can establish an inside game (tmac, battier and scola posting up whoever guard them)

7. Asian Sensation

The X-factor will be NOT having to go to Oracle for a game 7.

8. LFE171

LFE171 Member

I think when it comes to it, theyre the ones outside looking in regards to gaining homecourt advantage. If the playoffs started today we'd be playing the dal-ass fagericks. but if it were the warriors, we'd still have HC advantage.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think home court advantage would have much to do with it at all. If the Warriors exerted consistent effort on defense and if we didn't dominate them on the boards, they would definitely beat us, probably easily. If we played with focus & poise and if Rafer and Tracy both shot the ball well, we would have a good chance against them.

Overall, Golden State would be a bad matchup for us. Our best hope is to finish in the top 2 and get Dallas or Denver in the 1st round.

10. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I want no part of Golden State. If that team is hitting their threes, they will take down anybody. Especially if the opponent doesn't have a solid post-up inside game (umm...like us). I can't imagine anyone wants to play the Warriors. They are a truly dangerous random factor in the Western Conference.

11. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I completely disagree...I think Golden State would be a great match up for us. They don't have a big man who would dominate us like Boozer or Duncan. They may win one or two games with their 3 point shooting - but they wouldn't win 4. Our team defense is way too good for them. We're not soft like Dallas was last year. I'd prefer Denver in the first round, but aside from them I'll take Golden State.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Time out.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is alway potential for the Warriors to beat a higher seed (just ask Dallas), but there is equal potential for this team to self-destruct (these guys are emotional and flaky... blow their tops way too often on the court and do dumb things).

The Rockets, if they are to beat GS, will need to kill Nelly's small ball tactics by rebounding the hell out of the ball. Luckily, that is something this team is perfectly capable of, even if they are missing Yao and even if Mutombo sits. Landry, Scola, Chuck, and even Mike Harris are quick enough to keep up with the Warriors and tough enough to kill them on the boards.

14. jajayao

jajayao Member

GSW is dangerous for the fact that they are crazy streaky. Thing is, if their jumpers aren't falling, you can pretty much say game over for them. Their inside game consists of 2 things. 1. Monta/Baron blow by. 2. Alley Oop Jams. The only person with a real post up game is Baron Davis, and he barely utilizes it. It seems as if the shot clock gets to single digits they have to throw the ball up. They end up burying themselves with stupid shot selection as long as the other teams plays decent defense.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Personally, I think this GS team is a little weaker than last year's team with J-Rich. They traded a big time shooter and scorer for a guy that doesn't even play. Granted, Monta Ellis has stepped up and assumed his role, I still think they were better and more dangerous with J-Rich.

That having been said, I still think they're dangerous. They're a matchup nightmare for nearly any team in the league. Fortunately, for us or whoever plays them, as Carl Herrera point out they are very emotional and can mentally take themselves out of games in an instant. Couple that with the proven fact that Nelly Ball is fatally flawed, somebody will be able to put the clamps down and smother them in a playoff series.

16. spysta

spysta Member

SPEAK THE TRUTH!!!!

NOBODY wants golden state in the first round!! They will beat any of the current top seeds in the first round, except the lakers and even then they would take LA to 7 games

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Everybody in the West is dangerous, but I'd rather draw the Warriors than anyone else. Utah showed how to beat them, and Utah isn't great, just very deliberate. The Rockets would have a decent chance by playing smart deliberate team ball.

The other team you might want to draw is Denver. But with JR starting to shoot, and maybe even Nene getting into a rotation, they are no fun either.

18. ibm

ibm Member

what happened to kenny? is he not working for tnt any more? don't think i saw him last week either.

19. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I think his wife just had a kid, so he might be taking a few weeks off?

20. MexAmercnMoose

i think his wife had a kid