1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac's got to finish better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If he's trying to avoid injury, then I have no idea why he goes for so many reverse layups (as durvasa pointed out). That's probably at the top of the list of plays that could easily screw up your back.

2. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

dont know why theres so much hate..much the little things count he does often miss layups and most of the time its because he makes harder than what it should be like the reverse layup that he loves to do.. dont get me wrong i'm not hating on tmac by any means just noticing this in his game and i feel like its all mental when he gets into the lane but i'm confident it wont be a issue in the NBA Championship :D :D

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Tracy is a good finisher. It's hard to finish when you are dragging 3 defenders on your back.

The best to worst finishers on our team are:

Snyder
    Yao
    McGrady
    Wells
    Deke
    Hayes
    Battier
    Spanoulis
    Howard
    Lucas
    Head
    Novak
    Tsakalidis
    Alston

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Hehe. I can't say I agree. For one, our sample size is a little small to say that Snyder is the BEST finisher on the team. That and Deke, unless he is wide open, is not a particulary good finisher. I love him to death, but he can't really jump anymore, and often gets stripped.

I shouldn't disagree without making my own list so here goes:

Yao
    McGrady
    Battier
    Wells
    Snyder
    Howard
    Hayes
    Lucas
    Head
    Spanoulis
    Tsakalidis
    Alston
    Deke

*Novak (sample size too small)

5. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I hate to waste his talent banging underneath.

6. Tasty McGravy

Tasty McGravy Member

Tmac had 4 And1's and 21 points in 12 minutes. What the hell more do you guys expect from him? He is arguably having his best season this year as well. If only I could rate this thread, Jesus...

7. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

A player who can't take it to the hole in the NBA isn't that talented.

If you take that part of T-mac's game away, then you are forcing him to be a jump shooter. To me, that's the biggest possible waste of his talent I could imagine.

8. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

I just rated it a 1 for you.

Ironic that this thread comes out a day after the game where Tracy made about 4 or 5 incredible finishes around the basket. The crossover on Nene where he reversed it in with the left ahnd for an and1 was unreal.

You cant dunk the ball every time you get closed to this basket. This is not a video game.

9. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I rated it a 1 as well

10. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

yes he did i'm not knocking that he made 4 and1's that were difficult but missed some simple layups i'm not hating on tmac just pointing out some constructive critcism every player always has something they need to work on and get more consistent at and I believe thats one of them i'm not concerned about it because its not a big issue because its tmac and I know he will come through just something that I have noticed as well.

11. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

he owns like samuel jackson

[​IMG]

12. ClutchCityReturns

Why do people have to hate on threads like this so much? Tracy is a great player, but there are things he can improve upon, and finishing at the basket is one of them. If you deny that, you're a blind homer and/or an idiot. Especially when you look at where he falls on this list of player's %'s when shooting in the basket area. I left big men out for obvious reasons.

Tracy McGrady: 52.3%

Tony Parker: 63.2%
    Gerald Wallace: 56.1%
    Michael Redd: 60.1%
    Kirk Hinrich: 59.6%
    Paul Pierce: 52.1%
    Corey Maggette: 55.8%
    Mike Miller: 61.8%
    Joe Johnson: 57.4%
    Ron Artest: 53.8%
    Stephon Marbury: 54.0%
    LeBron James: 55.3%
    Dwyane Wade: 65.7%
    Kobe Bryant: 58.8%
    Ray Allen: 59.9%
    Richard Jefferson: 57.6%
    Allen Iverson: 53.3%
    Mike Dunleavy: 63.2%
    Danny Granger: 59.7%
    Richard Hamilton: 52.5%
    Andre Iguodala: 59.1%
    Caron Butler: 53.4%
    Ricky Davis: 59.0%
    Brandon Roy: 51.6%
    Monta Ellis: 61.6%
    Gilbert Arenas: 53.5%
    Josh Howard: 57.7%
    Vince Carter: 57.3%
    Carmelo Anthony: 62.7%
    Manu Ginobili: 56.0%

I bolded the only two guys on that list who he actually finishes better than at the rim, and even then both of those guys shoot better than Tracy overall and from 3. Don't try and make special excuses for Tracy either, because that list is diversified in every significant way. PG's, SG's, SF's, tall players, short players, younger players, older players, athletic, non-athletic, those with a clean bill of health, and those with injury histories. There are no 2 ways about it. Tracy is NOT a good finisher by NBA standards, regardless of how many "and 1" players he made last night.

And since some were wondering, Kirk Snyder's % around the basket is 67.7%. Higher than any on that list.

So what was wrong with this thread again? :confused:

#32 ClutchCityReturns, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

McGrady and Hayes have missed so many layups tonight. Its pathetic.

14. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Keep in mind that once Yao gets back, we won't need Tmac to get banged up inside nearly as much as we do now. Tmac's finishing around the basket will be a moot point with the big guy cleaning up the garbage. Also, Tmac will finally have someone with whom to run the pick and roll.

15. ClutchCityReturns

So where are all the people who were saying that Tracy doesn't have problems finishing near the basket? Haven't seen any since my last post that actually brought FACTS into the discussion.

:eek:

16. Tasty McGravy

Tasty McGravy Member

Yeah Tmac is why we lost :rolleyes:

17. ClutchCityReturns

Where did I say anything about tonight's game, genius?

18. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

I don't mean to nitpick here but i noticed this as well, especially after watching Kevin Durant play earlier yesterday. When Durant's in the post he backs his defender down and banks it off the glass. If T-Mac would use the glass once in a while he could make more shots !!

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Zero points for Tmac in the 2nd half last night....right? Not good.

DD

20. haven

haven Member

It's not just T-Mac - we're not the best layup team in the league.

My personal theory is that McGrady is worried about the potential strain that dunking would put on his back, so he lays it up, even when he's not all that comfortable doing so.